Register now to get rid of these ads!

Recovering cash from rip offs???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panhead_pete, Nov 20, 2007.

1. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As some of you may already know it appears I have had two deals go wrong for a total of $15K. Both parties have been contacted and there has been no action. Thnaks to all of those who have helped to this stage. Short of having someone go around and mame these clowns what can I do, as its a little difficult from where I'm at just to get in the car and go visit.

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The only thing I can suggest is contact law enforcement in the area and think about a lawyer as well...

3. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

It's a shame people seem to keep doing this stuff . My theory is if they get away with it they will try it on someone else,and if someone would have stopped them at the start they probably wouldn't have been around to get you.
    Pain is the best way to teach these folks what they are doing is wrong. It may not be culturally or politically correct but I don't think anyone can say it wouldn't work.
    I am not advising anyone to do anything but at least post their ID's on here and maybe they will change their habits.
    Just my opinion.

4. Jim Beam

Jim Beam
    from St. George

What is the problem? who was involved?

5. plan9

plan9

click the links below to find out what this is all about...

$14,000.00 theft
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211875

$1400.00 theft
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222894

pete - i am no where near MN but can help out when parts are recovered, better yet would be to recover the money. i also have no real advice at the moment, other than being persistant with your pursuit. i will pose the question to some folks that are familiar with international law.

have you tried talking with your bank about this? you should speak with your branch manager at the very least.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

1. Local cops.
    2. U.S. Postal inspectors...both free, but with the problem that they may opine crime happened far, far away, at least one end of the crime outside jurisdiction, and they have lots of other stuff to do...BUT if they take action, you get some legal pressure for nothing except some letters and documentation.
    3. Lawyers...and hope a serious threatening letter from a lawyer gets action, because once legal action gets going it may rapidly get too expensive to sustain and might well require your presence.

U.S. Consulate/embassy likely has resources to connect you with appropriate directories, addresses...try different attaches and officials by phone with the hope of finding someone helpful.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Step 1... Contact me. See if I can help... This isn't eBay man... I actually try to help out in situations like this... Especially for an Alliance member.

8. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

My brother is in a sort of similar boat. He is building his house and bought garage doors through a guy who worked installing them to do it 'on the side.' It's been 6 weeks and no doors. I've got a lawyer friend from high school so my bro called me this morning. He wrote a check and the guy cashed it so it is a 'written documentation of a verbal contract' and if he doesn't cough up tonight one way or the other, my brother is contacting his employer to buy the doors legitamately and will just happen to mention he got screwed by this dude. Our lawyer friend is writing him a letter with a 7 day deadline and then the cops will be involved.

There are legal implications to stealing our stuff, but we'll still kick your teeth in!

9. wyoming

wyoming
    from My house

my step dad had that shit happen to him on ebay they took him for 6k

10. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Do you have a street address for the guy in Prior Lake??? I am 15 minutes dead east of him..

11. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

12. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Dude, PM that shit. You dont know any of those people are the right ones. Last thing we need is a witch hunt on the wrong dude.

13. Ruiner

Ruiner

Matt, if you're planning a trip over there give me a call, I'm 45 minutes away and I love making house calls...

14. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

I would want panhead_pete to get me the info... I can look up Paul Webster myself but I don't want to get the wrong guy...

15. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

Sorry you are right! It was the correct Paul Webster, I gave Pete this info earlier and he has used it to contact him, but I should let Pete post it himself.

I just got carried away as I read the HAMB statement at the bottom of the page.

"Copyright 2007: The Jalopy Journal & The H.A.M.B. - Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in."

We'll wait for Pete to post the info.

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Remember that most of the threats and ordinary person can deliver are illegal and would look very, very counterproductive in court, while the threats a cop or lawyer can deliver are legal and highly motivational. I think actual confrontation is VERY apt to escalate in ways that cannot help and that are very likely to hurt serious legal efforts. Too much emotion, not enough real leverage.
    I think "Hi, we know where you live and that you REALLY want to do the right thing, have a nice day!" would be useful and about the limit of safe encounter. One real threat or bloody nose puts him on the GOOD side of Mr Cop. Ask OJ...
    The crime in question here is a murky paper trail to the other side of the planet, while a physical threat is a real, right here crime that is fully within a cop's jurisdiction and understanding.

17. Ruiner

Ruiner

I'm not looking for a confrontation, just to confirm that the guy either has the parts ready to ship or seems willing to cooperate, I don't need to threaten anyone...

18. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

<O:p</O:p

The guy who owes me the $14K is the one I have already been in contact with you about. The clown who owes me the $1400 is Slam Um who hasn&#8217;t posted on here in ages. The president of his car club has called him and it appears the car and cash are gone. I will be calling the SD State Attorney in the morning. <O:p</O:p

I have an address and phone number for a relative of his, possibly his dad. I just want to try the legal way before any other, although I appreciate the offers guys. It might just come to someone going over and getting my stuff if that&#8217;s OK.

<O:p></O:p>

Yep totally agree I&#8217;m just going to try all other means before I go down karma road, especially with others involved, although thanks for the offers guys

19. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

well said.....but would sure be nice to see them brutally beatin if found guilty in court!:mad:

20. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

Grrr. Pete it just pisses me off that I know where to go, but I defer to you.

Again guys I am sorry for what I did, but I hate thieves!

21. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Wow that's bad. I hope you get it worked out.

22. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

i hate to say this but.....get the cops involved. he is just going to take your money and never give you any parts. its been a long time since you paid him and it seems when you do get a hold of him he has excuses. the longer you wait the less of a chance you will se your money. 14 thousand is a ton of cash for anyone..stop hoping against hope that he will get you your parts..i wish you luck getting your cash back..!

23. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Just a thought........I bet that he has been reading this post about taking your money.

If it was HAMB deal, PM Ryan and he can try to help you. $14G's is alot of money and I bet if you kinda' got the guys "Dad" involved you might get your money/parts alot quicker. Just something to think about. Oh yea, if you know where he works there are ways to get your money via that route. I had someone write me a bad check for a large amount a couple of years back and he owned his own company........Friday evening after everyone had went home from work I called all of the voice mails in his company trying to get the right voice mail mentioning how he wrote a bad check for $$$$ and I am trying to take care of the matter........low and behold he had cash for me on Monday morning and was not very happy.....oh well, I gave him over a month to get the coin to me.

Chris

24. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

OK, I have chilled a little, been in the lab running my experiments and not thinking about this jerk (instead I was trying to figure out just why I work overtime for NO pay grrrr)

Pete, its going to be hard for you to get this resolved. Unless someone along the lines (sheriff or MN Attorney General) doesn't want to get involved in criminal proceeding, you will have to sue in Scott county (which means that you have to come here and he will play games when that happens to make it a long and expensive stay)

Keep trying the Scott County Sheriffs office. See if you can get someone sympathetic to you, try to mail copies of the checks and any emails. I think the problem is that in most cases this would be referred to civil court so you really have to work up the crimes that he may have committed, ie mail fraud if the check was sent in the US Mail.

At the same time I would contact the MN Attorney General. Her office is most likely going to be the one that action will need to go through.

http://www.ag.state.mn.us/Office/ContactUs.asp

I would start with the info under filing a consumer complaint. There is a phone number there to call and a form that you can file.

Third go to the US Postal Service:
    http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/

You need to get things going with each of these. When you do if you have any legitimate complaints with these people, let us know who and as much info as you can. You may have to supply us with scans of your stuff, but if the government people blow you off, the MN HAMBers can and will write to these people, asking that they get involved.

This is very important and we do need to get someone to be responsible for prosecuting these crimes, especially when you can document that this person exists and where he lives.

25. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

26. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

Thats not a bad idea either, he was kind of a car nut, loves his Hummers and Porsche.

27. bcfordman

bcfordman
    from cortez co

hi ,Pete I,ve got some info on 6 different Paul websters in MN,can you help me with a guy named Steve Nutt who lived in perth but was from shelton washington, got me for 1/2 down on a 36 3w,never saw him or my money or my car again

28. fc ute

fc ute

gday bsfordman,
    i am a mate of petes and also live in perth.
    give me whatever info you have on this guy you are looking for and i will seee what i can do.
    craig

29. ems customer service

ems customer service

post his phone on the hamb and we all keep calling him 24/7 unitl he pays

30. bcfordman

bcfordman
    from cortez co

hi FC ,I'm from Melbourne ,but now living in colorado,Steve Nutt was from Shelton Washington ,but moved to Perth ,sold a few cars to buddies of mine so I figured all was ok,he showed me a video of a chopped 36 3w coupe in the portland area ,I gave him $3500 in 1989 dollars (not much chance of getting it back now)on one of my trips to the US I ph his perth ph # and his wife said that he was in the US ,so I flew to washington,drove to shelton and phoned his mother,who told me he was in OZ,never could find him again,sad follow up is that the Jack Callori coupe was found in the same area,never know it could have been the same car???,would still like to talk to him