Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Tire Ads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Thanks!
    The archive just keeps growing.
    Tire Tech has had a huge effect on our little hobby.

3. akjim

akjim

I remember the Firestone tire scandal, just not the year...the media really tore into Firestone, practically ruined them.

4. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I'm not really sure what kinda car that is supposed to be, but sure makes want to put buick headlight rings on my '53 victoria

5. pastlane

pastlane

Those ad artist guys (and gals) were geniuses. From a time before television and mass media spoiled so much.

6. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Great post! The link to "Today's Inspiration" is amazing! Thanks. -stick

7. 40Tudor

40Tudor

...punk kids and their jalopies...shoulda put a SBC in it:D

[​IMG]

8. 40Tudor

40Tudor

Thinking about the earlier thread on technology...there it is in that illustration. One of the big 3 taking direct aim at our fathers. "Gee that new Chevy is more capable, reliable and comfortable and doesn't require a degree in auto mechanics...and it'll impress the little woman."

...and it's sassy, too... ;-D

I love the illustration style from this period. The 60s stuff was just a little to wierd/artsy for my tastes.

9. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I'm so glad you posted this link - I think I've looked at everything Plan 59 has to offer at this point. I'm a bigtime '40s and '50s illustration junkie and collector of advertising art. If my wife didn't keep me reigned in, I think the whole apartment would be decorated that way. I just love the way the illustrators made the mundane look romantic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Dave

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Mr Leif Peng is one of my best friends.(Best man at my wedding)
    "Todays Inspiration" was started back about 10 years ago.....and it was done because a core of die hard Illustrators were so hungry for knowledge of our great past.
    I have been getting an "Inspiration" every day for the past 10 years.
    If it interests you...send him an email from the site and he will put you on the list.
    free..... no spam,hassle or selling of your identity.
    HAMB ARTISTS......join....and see the past.

truely great stuff.....and I know Leif doesn't make one penny doing this..... just pure love for the craft.

11. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I've started paying attention to the tire ads of the past, and they do have some great artwork. After I started paying attention to the ads, I started noticing that many of the the tires themselves were works of art. The commercial designers really put some effort into the designs. It has got me thinking about collecting and displaying tires, now! :eek:

12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Here's a magazine ad for US Royal Masters -- too bad my scanner couldn't fit it all in.

These early Masters -- skinny WW running right to the rim, smooth shoulders, straight tread -- were the most coveted tire among my car buddies in the mid-'50s.

[​IMG]

13. "Kelly-Springfield girl (Lotta Miles)"

Brings to mind a Jimi Hendrix song...