Register now to get rid of these ads!

Addendum to: Oil w/ Zinc Content...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by newbie2speed, Nov 9, 2007.

1. newbie2speed

newbie2speed

Hey guys and gals...

Wanted to share some research I've been doing regarding this whole crappy oil deal...motivated by my dropping of $7K in a pretty nasting Chevy 331 that's good to 7,500. Didn't want to have to pull it back apart and replace the solid cam and direct lube lifters and drop another $300

We'll start with Brad Penn Racing, good stuff, it has additives in it so you can run it on the street too.

<!--StartFragment -->
    Gabe,

Thank you for contacting the American Refining Group, Inc. and for your inquiry.

I can understand your concerns in regards to (or lack of) ZDDP (zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) anti-wear components in the more recent API SL and SM service category crankcase oils. These modern passenger car engine oils are a complex mixture of additives and base oils that are required to provide good engine protection and increased fuel economy while reducing emissions. They accomplish these goals in a number of ways including utilizing lighter viscosity base oils, higher concentrations of friction modifiers and reduced levels of certain functional additives.

Stricter emission requirements have caused the need to reduce the amount and type of anti-wear used in the oil (ZDDP) in order to lower the oil’s phosphorous content and help prevent catalytic converter “poisoning”. This has raised questions about the ability of newer engines oils to provide the needed anti-wear protection to critical engine parts, especially those that employ flat tappet cams. Also, the use of lighter base oils and higher concentrations of friction modifiers to increase the oil’s ability to offer improvements in fuel efficiency can lead to reduced oil film strength. Brad Penn<SUP>® </SUP>Penn-Grade 1<SUP>® </SUP>Racing Oils have retained the higher levels of anti-wear (ZDDP) and enhanced film strength so critical to proper engine protection. We are continuing to receive very favorable comments from racers, engine builders and enthusiasts alike using our Brad Penn<SUP>® </SUP>Penn-Grade 1<SUP>® </SUP>Racing Oils in engines using flat tappet cams as well as those utilizing roller type cams.

Please see table below regarding typical values on your specifically requested product information:

<TABLE class=EC_MsoTableGrid style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: 1pt solid; WIDTH: 2.05in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1pt solid" vAlign=top width=197>
    PRODUCT

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 2.05in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1pt solid" vAlign=top width=197>
    ZINC, Mass %

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 2.05in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1pt solid" vAlign=top width=197>
    PHOSPHORUS

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: 1pt solid; WIDTH: 2.05in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1pt solid" vAlign=top width=197>Brad Penn<SUP>® </SUP>Superior Fuel Efficient Motor Oil 10W-30 SM
    </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 2.05in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1pt solid" width=197>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 2.05in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1pt solid" width=197>

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: 1pt solid; WIDTH: 2.05in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1pt solid" vAlign=top width=197>Brad Penn<SUP>® </SUP>Premium Gasoline Saving Motor Oil 10W-30 SL

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: 1pt solid; WIDTH: 2.05in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1pt solid" vAlign=top width=197>Brad Penn<SUP>® </SUP>Special Passenger Car Motor Oil 10W-30 SJ

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 2.05in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1pt solid" vAlign=top width=197>

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: 1pt solid; WIDTH: 2.05in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1pt solid" vAlign=top width=197>Brad Penn<SUP>® </SUP>Premium Penn-Grade Motor Oil 20W-50 SJ

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: 1pt solid; WIDTH: 2.05in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1pt solid" vAlign=top width=197>Brad Penn<SUP>® </SUP>Penn-Grade 1<SUP>™ </SUP>Partial Synthetic Racing Oil 10W-30

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: 1pt solid; WIDTH: 2.05in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1pt solid" vAlign=top width=197>Brad Penn<SUP>® </SUP>Penn-Grade 1<SUP>™ </SUP>Partial Synthetic Racing Oil 20W-50

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Gabe, since I have shared the aforementioned information with you, let me stress that while the “zinc” content is an important part of a formulation, it is by no means the whole story. Others may be “loading” up with zinc to compensate for our Penn-Grade<SUP>® </SUP>base stocks, which have a distinctive affinity to metal, a natural “metal wetting” characteristic if you will. In relation to the adequate service life, let me share that our Brad Penn<SUP>® </SUP>Penn-Grade 1<SUP>™ </SUP>Racing Oils are recommended by such cam manufacturers as Crower, Isky, Schneider, Crane, Howards, Bullet, etc.

As mentioned above, motor oil is a complex mixture of additives and base oils, all of which must work together in order to provide adequate engine protection. Detergent additives in motor oil are designed to react with the chemicals that cause sludge and varnish in an oil and neutralize them to keep them in solution in the oil until they can be drained away when the oil is changed. Our Brad Penn<SUP>® </SUP>Penn-Grade 1<SUP>™ </SUP>Racing Oils are formulated to provide a precise balance of detergency for engine cleanliness. We have received very favorable reports from end users of our Brad Penn<SUP>® </SUP>Penn-Grade 1<SUP>™ </SUP>Racing Oils regarding oil interval. Depending on service, “street” intervals of 2,500-3,000 miles are the typical.

Finally, because I am a “tekkie” I am not privy to the costs associated w/ a barrel of our Brad Penn<SUP>® </SUP>Penn-Grade 1<SUP>™ </SUP>Racing Lubricant. I would suggest you contact Brad Penn Regional Sales Manager Scott Eyers, who is responsible for your geographical area, at (814)-598-5790.

Gabe, I trust this answers your inquiry(s). If you should have any additional questions, please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Regards,

Kenneth M. Tyger
    Technical Service Representative
    American Refining Group, In

Also check out this link below, lots of good info on ALOT of different oils, VOA's (verification of additives) done by Blackstone and Steveley....

www.lnengineering.com/oiltable.htm

Pay very close attention to the time the sample was taken and the formulation rating (SM, SL, CI-4, CJ-4, etc...) these are just as important as the #'s as older formulations and testing dates may differ from the product you can buy now at the store.

Intresting to me was, Valvoline VR-1 20w-50, the zinc was not as high as the Valvoline website MSDS states, although VOA's can differ depending on the variables of the sample. STP red bottle- no longer made but an EXCELLENT oil additive. STP-blue bottle, very respectable, good additive. GM EOS, great stuff, very similar #'s to Comp Cams and Crane cams pour in stuff. STILL BEING PRODUCED but now under AC Delco, forgot part # but check website, may be reformulated but check.

Most important thing, if you are questioning a product contact the oil company, they are very good in getting back to emals, like one-two days max lag time or call them direct.

I run VR-1 Street Legal 10w30 with a bottle of the RED STP 4-cylinder stuff in my motors. You can still buy it at autobarn.com. I bought a case of 12 for like $33.

Best of luck

2. EOS is not available in the US.

New formula is coming,should be available by the end of the year.
    If you fluke out,your local dealer MIGHT have some,probably not.

3. damnfingers

damnfingers

GrantH and I went to the local Chevy dealer service department and bought two bottles of EOS just last week. They didn't indicate any type of shortage or non-availability problem.