Register now to get rid of these ads!

Eatin' Dirt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. The George Eastman House has an awesome collection of stills and "Moving pictures". Any of you in the area that haven't taken a tour....get off your butts.
    So, what became of the Long Island Motor Parkway?
    Is it now the LIE?

3. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

That is awsome. Those guys were crazy

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I wanted to say so, but I wasn't sure... I couldn't find any reference to what happened to it. Cool story though.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Wow, those are some amazing photos!... And a great story to go with them.
    I love the "forward leaning" photography featured here, that was also discussed in another thread not too long ago. Good stuff, for sure.

If you think of how young the Automobile was at that time and see those primitive machines racing around, those guys HAD to be tough.
    If we could have only been there!

Thanks for the tip "Minewithnoshine" and for the Editorial, Ryan.

Malcolm

6. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

This scene comes up in many ways besides photos

Here is my Desk set and detail from a letter opener I got several years ago and several years apart.

I am sure there are prints and other items too with this image

Attached Files:

7. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

8. Stevie- thanks for finding that! I worked on an early Simplex some years back when I lived in Philly, PA. The car was owned, I believe, by one of Vanderbilt's sons (if he didn't have any, I sincerly apologize- not trying to BS, just have the wrong family). Anyway, he ordered the Simplex with the racing chassis, but with a 5 pass touring body so that he could take the family out in it OR race with his buddies on the family's private road... I'm guessing it's the Vanderbilt road- very cool.

The car was awesome, but whoever rebuilt the engine honed the cylinder jugs at too high a speed and warped them (try to find originals) and had the camshafts out of sync. I got to tear the engine down (the level of my expertiece and my boss's trust). Once the engine was running again, I got to go for a ride in the pass seat w/o any floorboards- talk about a wild ride!

9. Bluto- that is an AWESOME site!

10. My family is from out on the Island.
    This just makes me want to get up there and see more.

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Does anyone know how fast these cars went?

12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

13. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

It is photos like those that make me balk when people say racing is not a sport. It takes so much heart, soul and commitment. Just look at those guys in the photos and the guys that race in the La Carrera Panamerica, nothing but balls!

14. LiL' NiCk

LiL' NiCk

I saw these last nite,,,I tipped Ryan to posting a hilite.....Thanx Ryan.
    THESE PHOTOS ARE FILLED WITH AUTOMOTIVE SOUL

15. long island vic

long island vic

there is still about 100 feet of the race track on the side of the meadowbrook parkway in east meadow going north

16. belair

belair

The front wheels look (to me) out of round, angled forward, like an artist was trying to emphasize speed and forward motion. Awesome photo.

17. Okay- dumb question...

Why do the wheels look out of round and the cars seem to lean in the pics? Does it have to do with shutter speed, lens...?

18. Great link! If you look at the races from 1914 and 1915 you can see that Kalamazoo, Michigan held an event in those years. You can still sit in the grandstands there when they give out the awards at the Nat's North.

Louis Chevrolet raced there when he was nearing the end of his racing career. He had already lost sharing in two fortunes (one was AC Delco) because of his terrible temper and would finish his working years at the Flint assembly plant where he would work on the line assembling the vehicles that bore his name!!!

19. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

The photos are shot with a shutter that moves across the film. The car's moving fast enough that parts move in relation to the shutter's position and you get this image
    It is so wonderful that many artists doing paints, prints and sculpture have used this device to create SPEED

You have to understand just what impact these photos had on people of the time!

20. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

Very cool Ryan, Thanks again:p

21. Once again Bluto, I am in your debt...:D

22. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan now you are tugging at my heartstrings. This is the era of giants, those guys had great big brass balls.

23. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Very coool indeed.
    Not exactly the same but those photos do remind me of the Jalopy Showdown.

24. Malcom,

At a shop that I apprenticed in, we had an early Simplex in for work that the customer wanted to go 100MPH + in... the boss talked him down to 90- I got to go for a ride up to 60MPH... it is a COMPLETELY different experience (especially since we had the floorboards out), but one that can't be beat!

25. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my speedster would run down the road at 75 oh so much fun. but to be in one of those great monsters tearing down a compacted dirt road course covered in road oil at 110, the crowds separated only by some chicken wire and a few stakes. Sliding into a corner, foot down on the loud pedal must have been really exhilarating. Those great big engines reving out at 1800 rpms, whirring chains. i could get lost in a dream somewhere.

26. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I remember following Jay Leno in his Areothingie with my Mercer

Kindda 80+ and thinking ''anything breaks I'm dead'' follow by WTF WHO CARES!!!!!!

Yes different feeling 3inch tires..... each piston displaces the total cubic inches of your average Jap car ....... all at less that 2500rpm

Life flyin a really fast blimp next to the ground :)

27. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

oh, ya forgot about the 3 inch tires @ 65 psi and super fast steering. when i was really young i got to ride in the mechanics seat in a 1908 coupe'del auto de dion...sitting on the floor doing 70. then of course there was a ride in one of the Paris-madrid de dion's at 70...speed can have many different meanings:

[​IMG]

28. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Did you fall out on your head?????? :eek:

29. Thank you Ryan, The history of "our hobby" really does need to be published and shared..