Register now to get rid of these ads!

The wifes '49 Chrysler, volume 1, front suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brickster, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Brickster

Brickster

So the story starts like this. My wife is adventurous enough to join me on a road trip from Wyoming to Paso Robles, CA for the car show a few years ago. My shoebox at the time had no side windows and the outside tempature ranged from 38 degrees to well over 100 during the week long trip. It must have been the 1000 miles of breathing exhaust fumes and the charming show in Paso but it was that event began the discussion of her own car. I knew of this 1949 Chrysler that I could get from my buddy Thomas (poop) and it was decided that would be her car.

I talked another friend into doing some inspirational art work for me. It also served as a Christmas present for my wife (that reninds me I was suppose to have it framed a few years ago). The artist is Christian Dotson, he did Pinkees "Loaded" RPU and most receintly designed and built the most hated thing ever to show up on the internet. The forkless panhead chopper called Swing-shot; by the way i love the bike.

I already had a few projects going so I figured I would take advantage of one of the many benefits available to me at my last job. I formally worked for WyoTech and I could have the Chassis Fab department begine the frame of the project. It turns out that I am way too picky to let students do suspension work for me.

The first few photos show the car mocked up with the stock Chrysler front suspension with the springs removed and the donor rear end tacked to the frame but it was the look I was after.

After picking the frame up at the end of one quarter in the Chassis Fab department I mocked up the suspension. OH NO!

The track width was done stock mustang II width. I had asked that it be as close to the stock Chrysler for end as possible. The other thing I couldn't deal with was somehow the axle centerline was positioned an inch forward of what it should have been. A few minutes with a torch and some scrap metal was generated.

Attached Files:

2. Brickster

Brickster

After disguarding the first frame stub I began fabricating my own. I decided to build this one 4" wider than stock. Also I would like to note that I am using Art Morrison control arms, rack extensions, 2" drop spindles, and Slam Specialties bags.

First, I made the basic crossmember, mountng bungs, gussets, airbag mounts. everthing but the control arms were fabricated by me.

Second, I installed one of the fenders, and with a wheel from my shoebox I centered up the wheel in the wheel well and marked the centerline.

Next, I located the crossmember at the correct height and at the correct axle centerline.

After that I located the upper control arm mounts with quicky sheetmetal jigs. and tacked them in place.

With all the attachment points fixed it was time to build the transision from the stock frame to the new rails. I really wanted them to be sculptured. I like the look of it much better then a lot of miter cuts. Many templates were made, all the joints were backed up with fish plates and plugs welds. All the corner welds were fit corner to corner, butt welds were beveled and welded and finished with various grinders and sanders.

The last part on the front end was the frame horns and core support mount. The frame horns were located with some notes I took before I chopped the first front end. The core support location was found by working backwards from the sheetmetal.

All these pics are a few years old now and the car has come further, although it's not finished yet. I will continue with more posts later up to the current state and then as I progress.

Enjoy and feel free to ask questions.

Brick

Attached Files:

3. Brickster

Brickster

more pics

Attached Files:

4. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Your work is down right pretty.

What thickness material did you use for your new frame?

5. Given our history here on the HAMB, you know that quote made me smile.

while you are in the fab stage do yourself a huge favor and add a gusset/hanger plate to the rear of your lower control arm and attach it to the frame rail so your at least one of your control arm bushings are in double shear.

6. 49Dodgeboy

49Dodgeboy

Man am I jealous, I,ll be watching this build very closely as it's my ride also. Love the look, the stance, hell everything...keep me in the loop please.....

7. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Your welds are really nice!

8. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Some of the best framework I've seen on the HAMB in a long time! When are you gonna finally finish it??

9. Brickster

Brickster

3/16"

10. Brickster

Brickster

That's a good idea. When I built this I basicly copied the Art Morrison crossmember. The only exception is they do thiers with mandrel bent rec tubing and I had to use mulitple pieces to drop the crossmember from the rails. I figured if it was good enough for him it was good enough for me but when I go back and put on the shock mounts I might add the bracket you recommended.

Brick

11. looks good brick, excellent work. I could never let students work on my car either, you're a brave man for trying!

12. Brickster

Brickster

You were a student when you and your student buddies worked on your car.

13. and we fucked it up pretty bad with a certain instructors help!

14. Brickster

Brickster

I know you're not talking about me. If I rememer correctly you had Jamie and Rory helping you. I'm Sorry!

15. no it was not you my friend thats for sure, jamie focked it royally. Its cool tho, shes all straightened out now. And i learned alot, i look forward to doing the next one. Either way the chrysler looks great laid out. Look forward to seeing the chop

16. 4woody

4woody

Can somebody post a drawing or photo of this gusset/hanger plate? I can't visualize how it would go, and would really like to understand this.

Thanks!