Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early HEMI head interchange ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T2Vracing, Nov 7, 2007.

1. T2Vracing

T2Vracing
    from Arivaca

BTT
    OK DeSoto guys Can I use 276 deSoto heads for a setup / hood clearance on a blownup 354 block ( to much nitro in 63 ). I am rebuilding a 54 Sorrell streamliner and need to set the body etc..
    Thanks
    T2vr
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
    <FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG]

</FIELDSET>

2. George

George

They won't bolt on. They are shorter by 1", not sure if same height as a Chr or not. Might be close enough for a hood check.

3. ANewBeat

ANewBeat
    from Floriduh

I could be wrong, and usually am, but I'm pretty sure the Desoto heads will not bolt to the 354 block. Are you going to use a Desoto or the Chrysler block in the completed car?

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Chrysler parts do not interchange with any DeSoto parts.

You mention 276 heads, they are DeSoto.. but a 354 is a Chrysler engine. Do you mean a 345? The 345 was available in DeSoto Adventurers for 1957 only and are very rare.

5. T2Vracing

T2Vracing
    from Arivaca

Thanks
    The heads are DeSoto last 3 digits 373 The Block is a 55 354 Chrysler. I was just needing to to do the fit check and didn't want to do it with a freshly painted engine. Guess I need to keep looking for junk Chrysler heads. The car had a Cunningham and Zenith carbs. I need to setup for some kind of air filter to keep the rocks and trash at bay.

6. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello...Dodge Red Ram and Super Red Ram 241...270 ci will interchange..The D500 series of Dodges are the high decks.All Desotos will interchange with themselves, not to Dodge or Chrysler..Chrysler will not interchange with the Desotos or Dodges..Dodge is the Baby Hemi, shorter block, Desoto is the middle size, bigger then Dodge but small then Chrysler..Chrysler, 331, 354 and 392 are the big ones..I know that 354 heads on a 392 is a good marriage..
    Some info
    Duane..

7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I thought all '55 Chryslers were 331's. Check your block #'s. They're under the valley cover. NE-55 Or CE-55 or 3-NE-55 means its a 331.