Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car couch, who's got one or made one ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55olds88, Jul 5, 2004.

1. 55olds88

55olds88

Looks like I'm the proud owner of the back end of a 55 Chev, fit for a couch.......
    Any of you guys done this ?? what did you do ??
    Also thinking of taking a mold off it to do some fiberglass ones, any one made molds before ??

2. JamesG

JamesG

Was is it a four door or two door ass end? From what I've been told buy people who have made them, you have to use a four door section, because a two door back end is longer and you wont be able to sit in it right. I guess the trunk area on most if not all two doors is longer.....Hope that helps. [​IMG]

3. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

i have made molds before.
    step 1. build it and paint it.make plywood base for the seat bottom , back and sides
    step 2. coat the body and chrome trim with lots of wax
    step 3. cut some 1/4 inch plywood for the mold to bolt together (make a seam along the top of the quater panel,across the bumper where it wraps under.
    step 4. cover with lots of mat and resin adding wood strips to help make the mold stronger.
    step 5. seperate mold from the body.
    step 6. fill all pits and inperfections in the mold and paint sand and polish.
    step 7. start making couches make sure you glass in some metal pieces to bolt a box frame for it to mount to.

good luck

4. 55olds88

55olds88

Over here not much chance of it having been a 2dr, I doubt you could do enough damage to cause someone to cut one up that bad in this neck of the woods worth too much $$
    Re the mould deal, thats about what I was thinking..... I thaught I had seen/heard of some one using air fittings in moulds to help seperation (blowing some aig between the surfaces......

5. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

got the pieces to do one out of the back of my old 63 Impala. have'nt had time to mess with it yet.

as for a 55 Chevy 2 door and 4 door having a longer trunk, it's NOT so. the trunk lids are the same as are the quarters up to the dog leg and rear door opening. as far as making a coush out of one, it would'nt matter which you used.

6. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I have one made out of a 93 Cadillac Eldorado. Used the back seat out of the car and moved it to the trunk. I don't see where it would make any difference at all how long the deck lid is, all that gets trashed anyway...cut it to the depth you want it to be then weld a cross support in to mount the plywood backing.

7. autocol

autocol

i'm SLOWLY working on the back of a 64 EH holden...

took the front bench seat out of the car, sold the ashtray off the back of it, and am currently sewing up a new cover for it.

i'm widening the boot of the car to accept the width of the seat, the bottom (beaver panel?) of the car was rusted to near-gone anyway. 'course, now i gotta make the bottom half of the bloody thing!

ah, one day...

8. 55olds88

55olds88

Cheers guys, gives me something to think about.....

9. magoo

magoo

10. hotrod396

hotrod396
    from Oklahoma

I am working on building a 55 right now..I went out and got a new couch so i could see how the old couch was built & have the springs..i'm putting this inside my 55 flxible bus.
    any of u guys got pics?

Attached Files:

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

12. wolfgang

wolfgang
    BANNED
    from Norman, OK

This is one I made 16 years ago. The paint and chrome still look good. I wax it about once a year. This one came from a 4 door donor car that had been wrapped around a telephone pole. About the only good part left was the back of the car.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

15. ratster

ratster

another project that i want to do, some day.

is that Josh Shaw art at Doc's?

16. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

No, but I forget who's it is.....Nates?

17. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

You all can keep your 55 Chevy couches.............when you got a slingshot with some of Lady Shifters gold pillows, ain't nothing else that can compare.:D

18. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Tim did the high contrast stuff.

Doc.

19. eviljake

eviljake
    from Austin, TX

20. Strangely enough, I was surfing the HAMB and the web on info on building one for myself and stumbled onto Jake's website. Fast forward a month and I am in Phoenix for a meeting with my wife and staff. The Mrs was out wandering around during the day while the staff and I are at the meeting. That evening as we headed out to dinner, my wife says "there's a guy up her that has some of those car couches." Sure enough, drove right by (in the wrong lane during rush hour), made the block and pulled up. As soon as I walked in, I said, hey, this is the dude that I saw on the internet. Super nice guy and had a ton of ideas.

21. chopdtop

chopdtop

This isn't a couch, but I'm trying to get the ass end of a 50 Ford a guy has that he's had sitting for a while now so that I can make a couch.
    Now all I need is a flat head coffee table!:D
    I've got the rear fenders and splash aprons and I'm trying t figure out what to do with them now.

Attached Files:

22. kustomkat

kustomkat

The old man and I have made a few... 56 chev, 53 Ford, 55 Dodge, and next is a 54 Buick. All of these were cars that were given to us. The Dodge is shop furniture and needs a new home. Send me a PM with an email and I will send you photos of the Dodge's inner structure. My dad did most of it in wood, but if you are a welder, metal might be easier...

23. 55olds88

55olds88

wow this is an oldie, I sold it about a year back to concentrate on the important things..... and yup none of them have been done either :)

24. Gee

Gee
    from Australia

ive had this one about 15years.
    built from an already cut up fairlane we scored on a friends farm's rubbish dump.
    they used the bare chassis to drive around roo + rabbit shooting,
    with a bench seat mounted up high at the back like the munster coach. crazy lookin.
    looked like a buggy out of madmax!:)

[​IMG]

25. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Built my couch out of a 55 Ford4dr. Cut the front edge of the trunk under the window and moved it back creating a smaller trunk opening. Total width of couch is 31 inches. Built inner structure out of square tubing and plywood. Upholstery sits level with trunk edge. Quite comfy and has been used in a local Bar for several years now. Soon to be building some more. It's interesting how we all have a different idea on how to come up with the end result, and yet they all look great.

26. chop32

chop32

Been threatening to build one for my patio out of the back 2 feet of a '57 Ford wagon...gonna use the tailgate as the bottom cushion, and make it so it closes up when not in use!