Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods edit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tindall, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Tindall

Tindall

Edit

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
  2. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

I'm speechless! :eek:

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

would be rad to see another allison car on the strip...

4. flat-bill

flat-bill

Have you seen the guy from Sweden, I think, that put a similar or same motor in a car. VIdeo's on Utube, Wow. Billk

5. Many very interesting race cars sported 1 or more of those in Drag Racing's "Glory" years!! Do something cool with it. Even if you just mock something up for "show and tell" here.

6. storm king

storm king

I love Allison V-1710's. But you know; if you got in touch with the right warbird guys, you'd have enough cash to fund several rod projects!

7. BlueFalcon

BlueFalcon

8. elwood blues

elwood blues

wow!!! nice find if she's in good shape you probly got over $100k of motor on your hands.

9. REALLY? I better keep my eyes open!

10. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

lucky you......
    ones i have seen done, 34 sedan, 65 chevelle, tempest(?) wagon. Anything would be cool.

How about a 48 chev coe, allison in the back, with the cab just rubbing the ground? Kinda like an early version of the Super Boss, or Bandag Bandit LSR's.

11. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Jim Lytle used a rigid torque tube arrangement to transfer the power on the Big Al series of cars. Looks like a good setup to emulate on a dragster. He originally tried using a driveshaft to connect a frame mounted rear, but torque would twist the frame and pull the car strongly to one side. The housing also began to tear where is was welded to the frame. By mounting the axle to the engine these problems were eliminated.

[​IMG]

12. I've seen them go from anywhere from $8500 to $25000. I know of someone who has 20+ Allisons in his shop....plus the odd Rolls-Royce Merlin or three & a Rolls-Royce Griffon. :D

13. elwood blues

elwood blues

I used to work for a powerplant mech when I was working on my license and he was building a motor for a P-40 on a general overhaul and historical detail (paint all the sero# tags ect done to mill spec) the owner got a "deal" at about 75grand in 2000!Those engines are worth quite a bit even if they are not later super tubo charged models. I have heard of merlins in flight trim going for over 275 grand.

14. Thumper

Thumper

15. elwood blues

elwood blues

some things from wiki:
    The V-1710 has 12 cylinders with a bore and stroke of 5.5 by 6 inches (140 by 152 mm) in 60° V-format, aggregating to 1,710 in³ (28 L) total displacement, with a compression ratio of 6.65:1.In total, over 60 percent of the US Army Pursuit aircraft operated during WWII were powered by the V-1710.The initial rating of 1,000 hp (750 kW) was increased in stages to where the final V-1710-143/145(G6R/L) was rated for 2,300 hp (1,715 kW). By 1944, the War Emergency Power rating on the P-38L was 1,600 hp (1,200 kW). The most powerful factory variant was the V-1710-127, designed to produce 2,900 hp at low altitude and 1,550 hp at 29,000 feet. This engine was static tested at 2,800 hp and was planned for installation in an XP-63H aircraftIn the 1950s many drag racing experimenters, attracted by its greater reliability, adopted the V-1710. Unlimited hydroplane racing also became a big sport across the US at this time and V-1710s were often tuned for racing at up to 4,000 hp (3,000 kW), power levels that were never anticipated when Allison designed the engine

16. Outlaw Bender

Outlaw Bender

17. Outlaw Bender

Outlaw Bender

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

AA/GL is for dragster type cars, single engines over 500 cubic inches at Bonneville. I know it's a long tow, but it sure fits.

19. flathead4d

flathead4d

Isn't that similar to what the Arfons' brothers had in the "Green Monster"? I saw it run at the Detroit Dragway back in the late 50's or early 60's.

20. That would depend on a lot of factors. What version it is for example. The motor could even be out of a boat or something, so without any paperwork its really just going to be considered - at best- a core by any warbird guy.

Put it in a car!:D

21. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Jim Lytle lives in Maui, he still dables in Allisons. He had a static Allison running at Hot Rod Reunion at Famoso Raceway one year. Boats and tractor pulls drove the price up. 10G's is usual price on one that is operable. Jim stuffed Allisons in 34 Fords, Fiats, Vw Van, trike, cab over, and did a 4 engine dragster. I watched him race his metal 34 at Lions and evenutally bought the body when he went to fiberglass. I was in the Navy and could not afford to store it and traded it off...DUMB.

22. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Congrats on the find. A Bonneville streamliner would be the ticket.

23. bluemeanie

bluemeanie

Just imagine 6 of those badboys coming around the roostertail turn balls out in a unlimited hydroplane race!

24. Reverand Greg

Reverand Greg

I say put tit in a street car and drive it very carefully

25. Paint

Paint

I know where there are at least a dozen of those brand new, the guy used to run them in unlimited hydroplanes in the mid 60's, wonder if he knows what they are worth?

26. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

I know of one in the crate, NOS. The guy DOES know what it's worth and won't sell it....... :)

27. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

A man by the name of Les Staudacher who lived here in Bay
    City built most of the real competitive unlimited Hydroplanes that were piston powered when they were in there glory. Among his creations were miss Notre Dame and Miss Budwiser. He built several boats for Guy Lombardo. When the Govt. sold out the remaining Allisons in their inventory Les bought them all. His shop in Kawkawlin, MI had a store room stacked to the ceiling with them mounted on their transport racks. Several years before he died he sold them all to anyone with the $$$'s as they were being pushed out of the Unlimited races by turbine engines. When E.J. Potter found out that they were for sale he came up and bought the remaining inventory. He used them for various projects and had several puller tractors powered by them.
    Not enough room here to tell one of the really bazaar stories about E.J. and the Allisons but if you know anything about his exploits just let your mind wander and you might come close.
    When they were supposidly all gone Les still had a couple that were partially disassembled ,but complete in the corner of the shop. I asked him if he would sell me one and to my surprise he said yes. Price,$1000 and he would throw in a teardown stand, make sure all of the parts were there, and reassemble it and fire it up. I wanted it just to be able to roll it outside and fire it up on occasion just to scare the neighbors. Well, E.J. found out he still had a couple and raced back up all blown out of shape yelling that he was supposed to get them all and Les let them go for the same price that E. J. had paid for the earlier ones. Oh well, easy come, easy go.:rolleyes: :)

Frank

28. no bux rod

no bux rod

Nice Acquisition, this thing has to find it's way into a street car.

Art Arfons from Ohio ran these Allison V-12s in dragsters. At least one rear engine setup also had a propeller...nick named the "Balony Slicer".

I recall Arfons buiyng a lot of surplus in the '50s and '60s. They may be a source for parts.

N B R

29. docauto

docauto
    from So Cal

see www.worldlandspeedrecord.com, it's my new car....

I think I'll use turbines though.

30. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

E.J. Potter put one in a 57 plymouth and drove it once in awhile on the street. Being a Chrysler man I'd say Clone that car for street use. I have pictures and a few details if interested.