Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new Rajo conversion...oh and '53 Chevy!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChevyGirlRox, Oct 22, 2007.

1. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

As many of you already know last week I was offered a 2dr 1953 Chevy BelAir with a very special Rajo conversion Six cylinder. Well, once I heard the crack of the exhaust Friday night when I went to look at it I knew I had to have it.
    I got to pick it up on Saturday. Here is picture of me and the former owner who built the car.
    [​IMG]

He built the car 28 years ago. He showed in a lot of big shows back in the day and won a lot of trophies but really hasn't had it out lately.

Here she is, the "Black Beauty" as he called her....
    [​IMG]

But the part of her that I love the most....
    [​IMG]

My Rajo conversion!
    [​IMG]

This Rajo conversion includes the above pictured manifold and also a special head.

He also gave me a lot of other really cool original letters, phamphlets and correspondence from Rojo to the guy that originally bought the conversion in December of 1953.

According to the paperwork (I'll scan and post here over the next couple of days) the conversion was sold to a Sam Henry of Chester, PA. He paid the original price of $169.50. I also have receipts for machine work and gaskets. I'm dying to know what he drove that he first put the conversion on.

Here are some more pictures of the car. Like I said, it was built 28 years ago so it is somewhat dated. I plan to change the stance of the car immensely but I plan to leave the old lacquer paint and the interior. The etched glass will either be replaced or "creatively" disguised!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It even came equipped with its own period correct mural!
    [​IMG]

And of course it's name, which I don't think I'll have the heart to remove...
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

The car has a lot of pinstriping and even blue dots! My mom loves blue dots, it must be the era, she said to leave them!

The car is a rust free Texas body, solid and straight as new. I really like the car because it is basically (minus the nose bleed ride height) stock in appearance. Even the dash
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The seats are basic black and white. Semi-furry but too comfy to change
    [​IMG]

And even etched glass! Yikes!
    [​IMG]

But, I was able to see thru all of that late 70s bling and love her for "what's on the inside" ;)
    [​IMG]

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Your learning :D

Sweetie, if you "edit" the post you have to hit "go Advanced" before you save the edit or the first photo in the post does not show. Weird little glitch.

4. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chevy girl rocks!?!?!?!? :D:)

and a wee bit of altitude adjustment and wheel swap.

5. Foul

Foul

the name can stay. The mural's gotta go, though.

Same for the etched glass.

6. young buck

young buck

seen it today at work....nice ride needs lowered

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

The names gotta go too, will make it easier to resell.;)

Those B's are screwed up anyway.

8. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

That engine is so puurrrrrrrdy

9. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

That's incredible, I have never heard of the Rajo conversion, much less seen ome. It's in good hands. The muriel is a but much, you could always get another trunk lid and save it. A new set of wheels and tires and call it done.

Congrats on getting a piece of history.

10. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Yes, wheels and tires are a must, I forget to mention that above. He gave me a cherry set of 1953 stock stainless steel, moon like hubcaps and skirts.

It is soooo much fun to drive!

11. RF

RF

I wouldn't touch the car one bit...well, except to put the hood back on after removing the engine and replacing with another 235 or a 350. I'd rather build something around that than redo the car it's in now, but that's just my two sense...

12. RatBone

RatBone

real cool! I love those years. I even like the hot rod stance of it! Awesome find!

13. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

That's a nice "80's traditional" car......the wheels, paint, and little red wanna be -AN fittings in the engine compartment.....
    The engine mods were probably done wayyy before the "makeover".....never seen that setup before....VERY COOL!!!
    Are the carbs progressive???
    Congrats on the car....I'm sure you'll make it "right".....

14. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

you're not still thinking of yanking the Rajo, are ya? Fer shame!

15. Rand Man

Rand Man

Looks like a sweet ride for a sweet Gal. I too would like to know more about the conversion. You might have a "one-of-a-kind" find.

16. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

DANG thats sweeet!

17. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

COOL!!!, glad you took the plunge!! :D

18. Way to go, Megan!!! Your lucky streak is unbelievable, you're really on a roll.:D I'll redo the trunk lid gratis if you ever decide to change the layout.:)

19. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

That car belongs back in Texas! Sell it to me! It's just gonna rust now!

20. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

What's the story with the head? (Sorry if that's been explained elsewhere and I missed it!) Which ports are being fed by the second intake...info like that?
    Got any dyno figures for it?

Damn nice car, got a thing for '53's. I'm sure you know which bits need changing and which don't, so I won't add my opinions to everybody elses.

21. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Very nice car. Can't wait to see it updated...or wait...back dated.

22. Road Runner

Road Runner

RIGHT ON - You got it !
    Beautiful car and engine.

I would drive it as is for a while and then change a few things to personalize it exactly to your taste.

Love the hood bird - one of my favorite ornaments - I got one like it on my truck.

Great find!
    That head/intake is really special and maybe the most unique setup on a running Chevy 6 driver, I have ever seen or heard about.
    Cool - dual intake plus one extra carb feeding each cylinder at the same time.... nobody else but Rajo thought of this and made it possible and available.

How does it run - would you notice the conversion, without looking under the hood...?
    I wonder how it would start and run on a very cold morning.
    Do you know if the cam was custom ground to make full use of the extra fuel?

23. Could you PLEASE post a few more motor pics!

24. Big Tony

Big Tony

Hot looking car...hot looking gal...what else...Congrats and great story. besure to post pics of new wheels if ya go that way.

25. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Megan, i'm convinced you will do the right thing with this car, You've got terrific sense for this stuff. But consider this, what would be wrong with leaving the car like it is (except for the mural ) and just driving it, at least for the first year. You've just purchased a time capsule and I think it would be a kick to just drive and show it as is (as long as it runs and drives ok). I'm betting it will stir up some interesting conversations and you could have ball explaining to all of the "johnny- come- latelys" what the history of the car and engine are. The fact that your a girl will only add to the fun. Kinda like the '32 roadster you dug out of that oldtimers place. Which brings up another possibility. How about putting a hitch on the '53 and getting a single axle trailer to tow the '32 behind it? On second thought you might not want to put up with all of the marriage proposals.:eek: :cool: :D

Frank

26. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Pure 24 carat stovebolt gold, If anybody suggests a V8 for this you should tell them where they could stick it.That car is just a tad past as cool as it could be, and can be again.Great score.:D

27. sololobo

sololobo

Meggy girl, wet spot in my 501 blue jeans!! Sweet to the bone!! ATTA GIRL!!-Sololobo/Roadburners of Omaha

28. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Nice chevy Darlin! You gonna bring it to Autorama??? Very cool six, haven't seen one of those before.

29. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I hadn't thought of that but it would be pretty sick. Then I could drive both of them at once!:D ;)

Hmmmm.... that could be a neat idea. I will have to think about it.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Keep the suggestions coming. I was thinking of making a tail dragger out of it?!?

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is FAR BETTER than the picture I had in my mind when you made the original post! Nice find! Enjoy it as it is, swap out the wheels for some black steel ones, and some '56? Caddy caps.