Register now to get rid of these ads!

MONSTER TECH!...or how DRAW with my inner child.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

O.k.....

I have had a few folks ask me how I approach certain pieces of art I do....
    First off.....I work both digitally and traditionally.It depends on the job,timing and what the art will be used for.
    A few days back.... one of my clients called asking if I could do there Speed catalog for them again.I have done this for the last 3 years now and I said ... sure.Then they said we need it next week!
    Aww.... the great life of an illustrator......oh well...there cool and AT LEAST pay there bills.

So....initially...I get the specs and the printers requirements....I set up the document and begin.

[​IMG]

Next step was the ruff...... I chose to do this digitally because of timing and ease of transfer directly to the printer.
    I work in mostly 2 digital programs...Photoshop and Coral Painter.

In Painter I have made ALOT of custom tools.....and for this job I will be using my pencils and Pen and Ink tools.
    Since I know this client and they trust me with the outcome....I fire up a VERY ruff draft....email a lo res image and explain where text and copy shall go.Most auto parts catalogs today are.....dull.....so I said I would like to do some monster images and they were fine with that.

the Quick ruff.....don't laff.

I want to approach this with a heavy Newton flavour.
    Ed Newton is by far one of the most talented guys I know of and his inking and sheer drawing talent is stunning.

[​IMG]

2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

So after an little conversation with my client I begin.
    In Painter I have drawn my ruff to scale on a layer(default) and create a new layer over it.To think of this in trad. terms..... think acetate overlays....
    I pull the opacity back on my ruff to about 20%.... and start to draw(ink) over it.

[​IMG]

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

The right side is the front and in this dumb tech,,,,,, is what I am concentrating on.the left is the back and it will eventully be done in the same manner as the front.The boxes and such on the ruff indicate were (loosely) were the copy and text will run.

I begin to dig into my toolbox for my custo made drawing tools.I work on a wacom tablet.....I can replicate ANY trad. tool here....So I begin with some pen and ink tools and start from the rear of the drawing......

[​IMG]

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

So,.... remember I work on layers?.... well..I start to build layers and name them (such as blower/engine....monster body...etc,etc)
    This way I can erase or elimanate unwanted lines or add to them.
    I constantly turn on and off the ruff.....always checking my line quality for thick and thin variation.
    In this example here.......

[​IMG]

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Ruff on and layers(4) on.......scribble,scribble,scribble.

[​IMG]

Layers again and the tires and lower half is done.

[​IMG]

6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Nearly done.....some B/G elements ,front wheels andsome yeechhee stuff!

[​IMG]

7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

So here you have the finished line work....about 6-7 layers with the ruff turned on.
    Of course,....when sending this to the printer I will delete all unneccasary ruff layers.....just to avoid confusion.

If this stupid post holds any water....I will go thru the color process in a few days.

later.......

[​IMG]

8. misfit36

misfit36
    from new york

9. Awesome work, Jeff. I love me some layers. I do civil drafting for ODOT and the guys I work with think I'm crazy when I have a shitload of layers for a really simple drawing.

10. usedall9

usedall9

This is what I do also. You are doing an awsome job explaining how things come together. I've tried, cant do it...

11. Sracecraft

Sracecraft

thats cool

Craig

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thanks fellas.

I CAN'T stress this enuff......There ain't no "Magic Draw Monster" Button on any computer.....or the instant click left"Norman Rockwell" tab.

If you can't draw.....start practicing.

It takes time...alot of Time and tenacity.... just like anything else....welding,carving,fabrication etc,etc....

I know you folks understand this....

13. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

you suck, i hate you!:mad: :D ;)

14. huffreport

huffreport

No, I don't really understand this, but I want to... VERY cool stuff.

Kevin

15. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Can you elaborate on "Custom Tools"...I do not have Painter but I may have to.

Great stuff Mr. Norwell. Your artwork is always fantastic.

BR

16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Ok.....well in the OLD days of commercial art(no so much today)
    An artist would do a ruff in pencil(or whatever.....) then tranfer the image on too a piece of artboard(pencil again or blue non repro pencil).... whip out there handy dandy tech pen or quill and ink away.Little mistakes were handled with white out or pelekin white.
    there would be a stat taken(b/w image and layed down to a mech. board for color separations and off to the printer......(I am being simplistic here)
    At any rate....at that time it was not the illustrators job to get it ready for printing.(yay!)

With todays technolgy...... it for the most part is(boooo!) ha ha hah

I guess what I was leading to about understanding is..... the computer is just another tool......like an airbrush,hammer,cresent wrench or #5b pencil.

If ya can't use it well......it won't do the job.

17. Fantastic stuff! Keep it coming, I use Illustrator every day at work ( I'm a Sign MAKER, note I said MAKER not WRITER as I haven't had to pick up a brush in over 10 years). I'm just starting to get into photoshop. This sort of thing is where I want to try and go as I 'm getting very tired of doing corporate stuff.

18. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

this is cool keep doing these. I have allways drawn and just started messing around with an old corel program It is way itimidating and
    I like seeing how other go about doin' stuFf.

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Sure Bernie.....
    In Corel Painter.....you have a vast array of premade "tools".
    You can take a tool(lets say a pastel chalk).....and start to mess with its varations....ie=the size,the drag,the density ,etc,etc.
    There is also papers....which you can change the premade quality....changing the surfaces from really smooth to very ruff..... like a heavy watercolor paper....
    It is a program to truly be investigated.

20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Well... go to the corel website and look for the painter section.....there is a subsection caalled"Painter Masters"..... you will truly be blown away.

21. Some days it almost seems like you've done this before. :D

I eat this stuff up, keep 'em coming.

22. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I think I just might quit my Taco Bell day job.:)

Thank you baby Jesus for Diet pepsi.

23. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

youve been drinkin havent ya????:D

24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Cheers!:)

25. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

if your tacos are as good as your drawings I just might have to try this "Taco Bell"

26. sean72

sean72

Jeff,

Very cool tech, I have always dug the way you do your tires and add to the movement of the car with all the little tiny elements flying about.

Sean

27. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

Love this thread! It will give me new things to play with in photoshop. Can't wait for the color portion update!!!

28. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

so that's how ya do it...nice:)

29. Damn i need to move out of the "dark ages".I still use a pencil,straight edge,french curve and a technical pen!:eek:Thank You,Jeff.

30. So, when does the "How To Draw Monsters for Idiots" book come out?

Great post Mr Norwell.
    Ever consider teaching?