Register now to get rid of these ads!

question about 94's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sephgato, Oct 19, 2007.

1. sephgato

sephgato
    from fenton

approx. how many CFM is a holley 94?

2. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I think the 94 carbs range from 160 to 190 cfm ratings...........I would say 175 cfm..........Good luck, I am sure someone out their has the specs in one of their books, maybe they will chime in, Littleman

3. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

stromberg 48 175cfm
    stromberg 81 135cfm
    stromberg 97 150cfm
    stromberg LZ 160cfm
    holley 92 142cfm
    holley 94/59 155cfm
    holley 94/8ba 162cfm
    holley egc 185cfm

I found this in a old post from here.......Littleman

4. sephgato

sephgato
    from fenton

5. Any body know which type 94s these are? The left front I believe is different from the others; it's a Holley and the others are Fords.
    [​IMG]

6. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got a quick lesson in these carbs the other day. The ones with Ford on them are actually Holley carbs that Ford purchased with their name on them for a few pennies less than their other carb suppliers. At least that is what I heard. I have 2 Ford carbs on my T . That is why the whole thing came up. Can anyone else confirm this information ?

7. WhoDoYouFink

WhoDoYouFink

From what I've read Hotrod man is right. Holley made the 94's for Ford. There is alot of info on here about them. Just do a search for "holley 94". As far as telling one from the other, most of the ones I have seen are stamped on the side of the carb. ie my 8ba's say 8BA on the side with 94 stamped on the front.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Ford commisioned the carb designe, probably sharing design work with Holley, Ford had one small planrt making them throughout the run, I'm guessing 10% of the ones I see are Ford made, as insurance against strikes/fires at Holley...1st manufacturer for about a year was Chandler Grove, which apparently outsourced a lot of design and production to H...
    VERY limited production line use in 1937 for field beta testing, slowly took over production during 1938 and then evolved bigger/smaller versions for 60 and V-12. Holley produced most, and continued then as aftermarket carbs and for IH and GMC after Ford dropped them.
    Holley liked the design they inherited--if you work on 4150 type Holleys, you will see very familiar 94 elemnts rearranged, from jets to PV's and squiters, as well as the drilled restrictors for power circuit...
    Look on the lower part of pump housing on 94"s: Script or block F for Ford built, H for Holley, Ford's mark larger on most to indicate Ford design carb. Chandler-G marks stayed on there into '39, as Holley took over existig tooling--I have Ford an H built CG's, but none that are CG built!

9. 50shoe

50shoe

Bruce, is there anything you don't know about old fords?
    neat tidbit, thanks.
    :)

Ford loved that F on everything.

On the WW2 jeeps they built nearly everything, down the the bolts, was marked with an F. Story was that Ford didn't want to replace broken bits that were made by Willys!

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Factoids...Ford's little carb plant was one of Henry's "Cottage Industry" decentralization efforts...despite being tiny, it had Ford-type tooling far more precise than Holley's and features like custom gang drills that did all the holes in one surface at once, something H did not have...
    Ford provided multiple sources for anything important to avoid production shutdowns from labor or fire troubles and probably so he could nuke any suppliers that tried to jack prices...
    It's hard to be certain, since old carbs frequently are made from rebuilder-mixed parts, but I think the Ford carbs had more elaborate casting cores that produced lighter bases with less unnecessary iron.

11. Oldkrow

Oldkrow

Ok, ive got 2 holley 94 7-rt carbs goin on a dime a dozen 350 with 30 over flat tops, and 327 heads. Ive heard 2 94s are enough to handle it, but is that even realistic, or do i need to run 3 or more?

12. Terry O

Terry O

More. Why do you want to run 94's on a 350? Not traditional, not for performance, not for economy? Better choices in each category so curious as to your reason.

To answer your question -
    There were 4 companies that made 94s between 1936-1957 and they ranged form 135-185 CFM ratings.

Terry

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  13. Oldkrow

Oldkrow

yeah, not interested in a traditional rod. i dont have money for flat heads and nail heads ect. GM put 2 bbl on 409s in cars that weighed twice as much as an old T coupe. i like 94s. lots of guys run 94s on all types of motors, just looking for advice, not lookin to be tagged for runnin a 350 w/94s or whatever.

14. nexxussian

nexxussian

FWIW I saw a guy with a 2 pot intake and IIRC '94s on a SBC at the Goodguys Spokane show, Thickstun intake IIRC.

However if you don't already have the intake to hold those up, or the desire to fab something of your own (adapter, intake, whatever), a two pot that fits is likely going to be spendier than going another route, carbs and all.

If you already have all the pieces then go for it, even if it's "just till you get something better."