Register now to get rid of these ads!

tech making AC vents

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slag Kustom, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

could not find any old chrome ac vent to fit my dash so i made my own.

after drawing up the shape i started cutting it out of 1/8 stainless.

with the shape cut inside and out i needed to figure out how to hold it in place. drilled and tapped holes for 10-32 screws but i did not want to see any screws mounting it.

put some stainless set screws in the tapped holes with the hex end sticking out about a 1/16. with the tig i melted back the set screw to almost flush.

next i went to town with the grinder to round off the face so it had a deco look.

after grinding i had to pre polish it because i will not be able to get to the edge when the grill bars are welded in.

for the grill bars i used 1/16 stainless tig filler rod. before cutting it to size i put it in the lathe and spun it at a slow speed sanding and polishing it.

to weld the bars in i used a spot welder to keep the heat marks down but had to sand and repolish some of the face.

Attached Files:

2. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

i got a little over board on the duct work and made it out of some polished 18 gauge stainless i had laying around.

it got bent in 2 sections so i could spot weld it with out putting marks on the inside.

top just got 2 bends to match the angles of the sides and flange at front to bolt to the face plate

bottom got 2 bends to match the sides and flange at front to bolt to the face plate

spot weld

drill holes

test fit

Attached Files:

3. Way too cool! Chromed items (especially plastic chromey stuff) looks like junk compared to good ole' polished stainless. Excellent work, done by a master of the metals.

4. That's one thing that catches my eye on most Cookie Cutter
    street rods:unimaginative,after-thought, AC vents.

Looks good Slag.

5. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

HOLY SMOKES! That awesome. I've been looking for something unique for Big Olds' a/c vents. I bought a couple at a swap meet but they really do look kinda late model-ish. Would you consider making a set alittle smaller? Think about it and shoot me a price if your interested.

7. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

they kill me on any car with aftermarket ac. i spent may night looking at anything on ebay that came up under "chrome ac vent" and found many that looked good but did not fit the shape i needed.

8. I like it!, I need to learn how to TIG weld.

I was just looking for something that looked less cheesy (planning for future, chep plastic sucks), and I came across some louvered stainless steel marine vents that could be used as vents, they are kind big at 4" dia... They may work in the side of the Riviera console I'm using.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

http://www.go2marine.com

Denise, they also have rectangular SS ones that are 2.625" x 5", if that's what size you need.

Danchuk is repopping the factory 57 Chevy A/C vents, but they are like $240.

[​IMG]

The aircraft A/C nozzles, like the overhead ones in commercial planes, are also available, some are done up in aluminum.

9. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

It's in the details. Great job.

10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

..........and square radios in classic dashes.

OUTSTANDING ! :D VERY VERY NICE!

11. <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I like that a lot thanks, Rags
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

12. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

bttt for tech week

13. Hotrod F-1

Hotrod F-1
    from OK

Great job! I may have to do something very similar for the center vent in my truck. I have a couple of vents from a King Air C90 that are pretty trick for the outside two vents. :cool:

14. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

for out side vents im putting them in the curved section of the dash and garnish molding.

the flipper door is made of 1/8 stainless and bent to match the curve and ground on the back side to look slimmer. there is a 1/16 hole drilled to pin it in place with a tiny o-ring top and bottom to keep it spaced with slight tension to keep it directing air where you want it.

Attached Files:

15. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

nice work, love the little details. Plastic ones suck.