Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB ART CHALLENGE 1- 1940 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nate, Oct 11, 2007.

?

pick your favorite!

Poll closed Oct 28, 2007.
  1. flooded

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ratstar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. thede3vl

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. chevrddr

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  5. lowcab

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  6. duste01

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  7. lowtech

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. vettes2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Dutch Courage

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  10. KlassicHauler

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 4t64rd

4 vote(s)
    3.2%
  12. Jimmy B

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Rikster

5 vote(s)
    4.0%
  14. kustomdlux

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. lockwoodkustoms

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  16. skipstitch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. etxhfeg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. bdrake

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  19. NoMonneySonny

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Coupe-de-Cab

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  21. fiftyfiveford

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  22. Project 56

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. Jokem59

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  24. DVierstra

4 vote(s)
    3.2%
  25. palat

22 vote(s)
    17.5%
  26. The Fidgiter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  27. vintage56

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  28. Bumpstick

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  29. gasit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  30. KlassicHauler

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  31. natas

22 vote(s)
    17.5%
  32. Clark Kustoms

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  33. Odd ball

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  34. misfit36

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  35. doored62

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  36. Firetop

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  37. chopper daddy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  38. GaryC.

4 vote(s)
    3.2%
  39. Sander

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  40. hotrod1940

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  41. 50fraud

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  42. Lil'Billy

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  43. 40StudeDude

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  44. Slide

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  45. himjively

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  46. Nostalgic Dave

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  47. SpadezTX13

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  48. 'Mo

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  49. meteor

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  50. 67DOHC

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  51. norton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  52. Jigger

8 vote(s)
    6.3%
  53. JeffreyJames

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  54. The Monster

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  55. fortypickup

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  56. carartNICK

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  57. ChopperOlli

5 vote(s)
    4.0%
  58. duwty

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  59. carlos

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  60. customcory

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. TIME TO VOTE! if the name of your favorite isn't up there it means i may have screwed up.. or the rules were not followed.. pm me if you want to vote for somewone not represented in the poll. I also had to drop a few because we only have 60 options in our polls right now. I thought that would be enough, but you guys really went after this one!

Welcome to HAMB ART CHALLENGE 1!!

Hello all! Welcome to the HAMB ART CHALLENGE! What is this you ask? I've been thinking about doing this for a while and with the blessings of Mr Norwell and Ryan we're going to give it a shot.​

How it works:​

Every 2 weeks (Friday to Friday) I'll start by posting some pictures of a nice clean stocker and your job as HAMB artists is to cut it up.. chop.. channel.. slam.. shave.. whatever you would do if it was yours and you could do anything you wanted to do. Post your art and at the end of the 2 weeks I'll start a poll and let the people of the HAMB choose a winner. There will be a prize.. not sure what it will be, but it'll be cool.​

Why? For the artist is gives us a reasone to draw, paint, whatever. With a little extra incentive it makes it fun. For everyone else I'm hoping it'll bring forth some cool ideas. Someone might be building a 40's coupe and see something they would want to in their build.. that would be awesome.​

The RULES:​

1. Your art has to be new for this contest... we'll probably cover a lot of cars that are common to hotrodding/customs, so you may have art that would fit, but please make an effort and do something new... This is all about generating new work and ideas! If you want to post early sketches and come back and update your post with progress that would be awesome.. I love process!!!​

2. Photoshop is ok, but it must be taken to a higher level.. I know lots of people like to use photoshop, but don't let this become a "photoshop contest" Push the boundaries and make it art! ​

3. Please keep comments to a minimum. If you want to tell someone how much of a ruler they are, that's cool.. but please keep the comments brief and please don't quote the picture so we have a thread with 5 copies of the same work.​

4. HAVE FUN. Push the limits.. this is your chance to do whatever you want to this poor car... go for it.​

The victim for contest 1 is...​

1940 Ford Coupe

A high flat-topped hood dominated the front look of the 1940 model, as the grille spread out to reach the fenders to differentiate the De Luxe line and the headlights were pushed wider still. The standard Ford inherited the grille of the 1939 model with blackout on each side of a heavy chrome center; heavier headlight surrounds serve as another major differentiator from the 1939. 1940 was the last year of the 1937 design and its smaller V8 engine, with a straight-6 to be reintroduced the following year. Sealed-beam headlights were one of the only major advances for 1940, though a hydraulic top was new on the convertible. (THANKS WIKIPEDIA!)​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Slide

Slide

This is a really cool idea. Couple questions, though:

I assume you mean we reply to this thread (for this week's deal), or should we be lookin' for another "contest" thread?

Do we gotta base our art off the photos you toss out here on the table, or can we use any angles we want as long as it's the car of the week? It might make it easier to vote if everybody's using the same point-of-view (makes comparisons easier), but it might limit what the artist is trying to communicate on certain mods for certain models.

And for that matter, are we to keep the same trim level (i.e. I like 40 Standards better than DeLuxes, so can I do a Standard, or is it Deluxes only?)

I hope I can find time to do some stuff on this.

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I;ll pin this and let the troops have a go Nate....
    do we have a date set?

4. Good Questions Slide!

I think as long as you can look at the art and see that it started as a 40 ford coupe it's cool. If you had this car and you wanted to go full custom and use different trim or no trim or whatever I'd say go for it. It's like I'm giving you this car and you can do whatever you want to it. so if you want to swap out the whole front end for something else.. that's cool too... Maybe a brief description of what you did along with the drawing?

As far as using these photos, I tried to find a good front and rear 3/4 view for reference, but that's all it is. It's free and open, whatever view suits you best.

I hope that makes sense.

5. Thanks! Officially it'll go until 2 weeks from tomorrow (that would be Oct 26), then we'll open a vote for the weekend and start #2

to answer Slides other question.. please put all your work directly in this thread.

6. Ok, here is the prize for the first art challenge.. I dug into my collection of antique mechanical pencils and found these 2.. the first one reads: "DIAMOND TIRES Western Tire Auto Stores, Inc."

the other says: "Try Pontiac's New Safety Shift and you will Shift to Pontiac"

both pencils still work.. the erasers are crap.

[​IMG]

7. MrExcite

MrExcite

Of course, all of the finished art can be HAMB auctioned with proceeds going to Ryan and The Jalopy Journal/H.A.M.B. ??

:D

8. This sounds like a good thing. Hope I have time to really put it into action!!!
    Thanks for the idea, now lets prime the throttle and get those creative juices flowing...

9. great idea, i was thinkin something like this should go off
    do we post on the friday art show or look for a separate thread?
    you could bounce it off the friday show like you did today and it's own thread

10. Post it in this thread so we have them all together.. In fact, you could use the edit button and post it right there where you posted this question, that would be great. If you want to put it in the friday art show and say "this is what I'm working on for the Art Challenge" that's totally cool too, but if you want it judged by the masses, it needs to go in this thread.

:cool:

11. mezzo

mezzo
    from Florida

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  12. I'm not a digital artist, but I do make tools for digital artists. That image you have posted is pretty low res and will make it harder for the artitsts to create their best work. Just something to possibly think about for the next time around. Maybe start with something at least 5 megapixels.

That being said, I'm sure the wizards here will still pull off something very cool.

Mike

13. KCsledz

KCsledz

Don't limit your imagination to digital Baron Von Mike! My best tools have 5 digits!

14. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Nah!

Make it even more vague and rough.

I'm in.

I've already started on it.

BR

just noticed that car has 1 bumper guard.

15. flooded

flooded
    from DFW

just started...this is idea #1. chop off trunk and put truck bed. chop top (5 in front and 3 in back) take 4 inches out of center of body and channel body to cover frame. Loose the hood and use an early 30 grill and radiator. Just wanted to post a progress pic.

Attached Files:

16. ratstar

ratstar

here is where I'm headed. Shave everything, radiator in the trunk, heavy chop, slammed. Leave the flatty, no hood. I'll keep working in it. I may go to ink to finish this one though.

Sounds like a awesome contest and way to keep my pencil moving.

Attached Files:

17. GrantH

GrantH

Can we use a different picture, so long as it's a 40 ford? Those are super low quality for photoshopping... If not, I will work what I can with them.

18. PollockzRodz

PollockzRodz

Ohh heck yea Im down with trying this out.

19. chaddilac

chaddilac

Ryan should throw in a Hamb tag that is stamped "Art Challenge 1 Winner".

Might be cool?

20. yep, any 40 ford coupe will do.. I didn't even think about the resolution.. my apologies to the hardcore photoshoppers!

We're off to a great start, keep it going!

21. flyingpolock

flyingpolock
    from PHX

Man.... wish I had time to create something new... Gotta pay the bill first, though....

Anyway, thought I'd post an older piece to maybe help inspire.... Fantastic idea on this challenge, Nate... just fantastic! Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

[​IMG]

22. xmattx

xmattx
    from belgium

flyinpolock, this is a serious piece of art! I super like it!

23. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Good idea, challenging subject for this one.

I know I'm not alone when I say the '40 Ford is near perfect as Henry built it. Most modified '40s look like crap...

It'll be fun to watch

24. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

I just started working on mine. Im not the best artist but I will try. I started by chopping it slaming it put some pipes down the side smoothed the rear fenders stuck some injectors out the hood white walls and nice hub caps and some vents down the side of the hood changed the trim around no bumpers don't know what color yet. [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. duste01

duste01

Im in too....since I am building a 39 deluxe coupe and have been wanting to try my ideas out on someone, and i may get my kids to help out.

26. thed3vl

thed3vl

The hood has been removed long ago to make room for the straight six that once powered something far heavier. The poor engine is now force-fed by a 8-71 and 6 stromberg 97's. Some sheetmetal has been rivetet to the holes where the headlights once where.
    A homemade front bumper made from some square steel tubing and some bumper guards made of some unidentifiable farming equipment.
    The whining sound of the 8-71 is almost as loud as the roaring sound of 6 copper tubes spiting out unburnt fuel when you press down the accelerator pedal, one of the two functional pedals at your disposal. And no, the other one is not the brake.
    You feel the body bending when you leave the starting line, apparently welding the doors shut wasn't enought, but hopefully it'll hold togheter. At least to the finish line. You curse yourself for cutting the roof of that hot summer day when your perfectly combed hair gets destroyed by the wind.
    But you have no time to worry about that, the only thing on your mind now is to beat that A ford. And you did. The only thing the poor fella got to see of you was your club plate.

"Suicide"

Oh, almost forgot the pic, got all excited there for a while :D

[​IMG]

I'll try to make a proper one some day...

27. ratstar

ratstar

Wow, the story wins! lol.

Inked mine in. I've never used ink except to write with so sorry for the shoddy work! Threw some scallops on it too. I'm thinking white with emerald scallops, gold striping to outline the green only.

Attached Files:

28. chevrddr88

chevrddr88

it's rough but i dig it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. Sander

Sander

I'm in.
    Just put pencil to paper tonight just to see what's doin.

Sander

30. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Been working on my submission for the last 2 days. I'm done with mine.

I used the image supplied as a base. I think thats how it should be done. Or I could just dig up some old paintings of mine that I did many years ago. See below.
    Basing it on something that was posted especially for this contest makes it an actual challenge. Otherwise its just post up what you have that has a 40 Ford coupe in it.
    [​IMG]
    This is not the one I did for the challenge, I'll put that one in the friday art show.

BR