Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '31 Model A Coupe Survivor is finally (almost) Done ***Photos***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Doctor Destructo, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

First a sneak peak...

[​IMG]

This car needs no introduction. Many HAMBers know it well. The coupe was modified into a hot rod in 1961. It was chopped 4.5 inches, channeled 4 inches, and underwent 1 inch square tube frame reinforcement. The firewall was reversed for clearance, and a '57 SBC 283 with fuelie heads and tri-power was shoe-horned in. A T-10 4 speed connects to a '55 chevy rearend. You can see the 61 GMC truck dual master on the firewall. Up front steering is via an old Ross steering box, there is a 4" dropped & drilled axle, and the split wichbones are drilled as well.
    Several years ago LUKEJIVETALKER bought the coupe when it had a nice 60s groove with krazy glass and a orange flake dash.

[​IMG]

Then Bishop Welding bought it. He straightened out the channel, and sent it back to a 50's traditional look. Here is an older picture from the HAMB on the El Mirage Dry Lake...

[​IMG]

It got some red oxide primer and ran all over LA as his daily driver. Here's how is looked when I bought it...

[​IMG]

This picture is from the Rod and Custom Magazine expanded coverage on their web site. It's a shot in Paso at the West Coast Kustom show from May. The trip up from San Diego was notable for a dropped exhaust hanger, broken windshield mounting bracket, 2 broken rocker studs, and a broken rod. Looks damn good though, huh? (That's my buddy, Steve's 31 coupe next to it.) Thanks to the guys in my club, the TURKS, we got the coupe rollin' back to S.D. Unfortunately the right rear brake line let go on the 405 freeway in LA goin' 85 MPH. *&^%$ is all I have to say. We clamped off the rear line at the Y and got it home on the front brakes. (Forgot to screw-down the master cap -- I think that flew off and dented a lexus.:D

AHotRod likes this.
  2. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

So, when I got it back, it the ole overhaul. Replaced the wheel bearings, new brake lines and shoes, fixed up the steering box (packed with grease), replaced all the rocker studs, adjusted the valves, and tuned the carbs.

3. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

So then it was time to go at the cosmetics. After all the work on the motor with the help of my buddies Steve and Eddie, it time for bodywork. My buddy Abe took it down to the 76 year old metal.

[​IMG]

4. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

5. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

6. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

The old plywood floor had to go, too. Abe fab'ed a beautiful floor with kool beadroll and wrap to the sides. Also had to make a new hub for the quick-release for the banjo steering wheel.
    Up at the Moon Eyes BBQ I picked up the new gauge cluster (since none of the old ones really worked) and Abe made a custom dash insert. There's a penny (Abe Side Up) on the light switch... not sure it's visible here

[​IMG]

7. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

Here's a better view

[​IMG]

8. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

It turns out there was very little rust, only a small area at the edge of the firewall. This was cut out and the edge was folded over.
    The body was incredibly straight and the metal was in great shape.
    The old foam bench seat was chucked and repro bomber seats went in (had to accomodate the long throw of the shifter.

9. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

The windows got new glass and the frames were powder coated. Put in new So Cal Speed Shop roadster latch and Pontiac rear lights. Then it was time for primer...
    [​IMG]

10. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

Then paint. I went with a early 60's metalic silver...

[​IMG]

11. brewsir

brewsir

Busdriver move that bus....errr tractors outta the damn way!!! Lookin good!

12. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

Finally, I restained all the wood inside and out with a dark walnut color. Then, busted the coupe out and ran her all over San Diego. I came across a kool gravel quary in the Sloan Canyon and shot some photos. Here is (nearly) finished product. I still need to fix the alignment of the driver door.

[​IMG]

13. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

14. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Very nice...what size tires are you running?

15. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

16. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

17. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

Wheels are 1940 Ford 16" 4.0
    Tires are bias ply 820 rear, 550 front.
    Thanks.

18. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Love those 988's........

Oh, nice coupe too.....color combo and stance is right on.......

19. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

Thanks to my buddies in the TURKS who made the restoration possible: Tony, Eddie, Steve, Abe, and Rich!
    Steve

20. awesome job! realy nice coupe!

21. myke

myke
    from SoCal

22. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Excellent and interesting story of the latest lives of your coupe!
    Wish more people would take the time to do the same.

Nice car and workmanship...BTW...your NOT living up to your name! Haha...
    Silver is just a great color on A's and the engine-turned dash is spot on too.

Ya know...this was a feel good post. Thanks for putting it up! ;)

23. Rusty

Rusty

Very nice, I did not realize it was built so early, I know Greezy had got it goin a few years ago here on the Hamb. My buddy Visor a;so here on the hamb had helped chopp it. It is cool to see cars like this finished out. I never seem to get to finish mine. That car turned out really really nice, you should be proud and I am sure Greezy will be happy too see it too

Rusty

24. eddie1

eddie1

Looks great! I would never have thought of that color as suiting that style of car, but it looks awesome!

25. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I agree with some of the other guys --
    The silver and black look great on that car! I love the dash and steering wheel, also!

Is that a repop steering wheel? I don't know much about them, but that looks different than the Ford items.

Very cool car!!

Malcolm

26. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Love it man. Beautiful car!

27. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

28. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Love your coupe, hope my turns out as nice as it.

29. Chuck R

Chuck R

Great looking hot rod, and a very interesting post. Keep us up to date as you drive the wheels off of it.
    chuck

30. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

I know that car, it hauls azzzzzzzzzz.

Great post. Im glad it's in good hands. Dig what you and the S.D. Turks have done.

Keep the faith,
    Rob