Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 09-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
banjorear
Old School HAMBer

Default Old photos- Why do cars look like they are leaning forward at speed?

Not that I don't have a school to run (I'm an elementary school principal), but why do the tires & cars look like they are leaning forward when pictures are taken at speed? Is it because they are or is it an optical illusion?

Kinda like light shining through the backside of the spokes which makes the wheel appear to be spinning backwards?
Old 09-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
Von Rigg Fink
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: Old photos- Why do cars look like they are leaning forward at speed?

hot rod rake? lol optical illusion? most hot rods do lean forward some

Some guys could fuck up free lunch.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
RichFox
Alliance Member

Default Re: Old photos- Why do cars look like they are leaning forward at speed?

Banjorear; I have always wondered the same thing. The wheels look eliptical. The vertical grill shell apeares to lean fowared. I can see why a drawing would be made that way, to convay speed. But how do photos get that way? Hope someone has the answer.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-14-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
Brad54
Old School HAMBer

YES! I've always wondered this too! There's a particular pic of an early roadster that comes to mind. The wheels are ovals with the top of the oval leaning way forward.

I thought about a slow shutter speed, but that would make the car blurry, not leaning. Panning would make the car sharp and the background blurry.

I'm also thinking those early shots were taken with a Speedgraphix or twin lens relfex camera...that might have something to do with it.

-Brad

Gear Jam Vintage Drags Sept 27 www.gearjamdrags.com
Old 09-14-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
squirrel
Old School HAMBer

you could do that by having a shutter which works like a window shade with a slit in it, that moves vertically as the photo is taken. Like a Speed Graphic camera, for example.

the bottom of the picture is taken first, then as the slit moves upward the rest of the picture is taken. So the bottom shows where the car was at the beginning of the shot, the top shows where it was at the end of the shot, and it moved forward during that time.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
Von Rigg Fink
Old School HAMBer

oh you were serious..sorry for my humor..sometimes i cant control it

Some guys could fuck up free lunch.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #7
banjorear
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad54 View Post
YES! I've always wondered this too! There's a particular pic of an early roadster that comes to mind. The wheels are ovals with the top of the oval leaning way forward.

I thought about a slow shutter speed, but that would make the car blurry, not leaning. Panning would make the car sharp and the background blurry.

I'm also thinking those early shots were taken with a Speedgraphix or twin lens relfex camera...that might have something to do with it.

-Brad
Exactly. That's what I'm talking about. I love it any way you get to it.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
clean cut creations

Got pics to share to show your point?
Old 09-14-2007, 01:49 PM   #9
squirrel
Old School HAMBer

quick google search found this one

Old 09-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #10
Mazooma1
Alliance Member

The old style camera had a "focal plane" shutter. Instead of the lens opeing from the middle of the lens, the shutter traveled from one side to the other to let light in to expose the film.
So, simply put, even with a semi-fast shutter speed (1/60 second or so) the image (speeding car) would "travel" as the shutter traveled from one side to the other to make the exposure. Wheels, especially looked like they were "leaping" forward because the car, in fact was moving, and as the left side of a subject was "done" being photographed, the right side was still being exposed.
Still subjects never had this problem, obviously.
Try Googling "focal plane shutter". Maybe their description will be clearer.
I've used these cameras for 30 years, and now, even I'm confused.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #11
ShortBus

I'm thinking it's due to a vertical curtain shutter. Basically it's a horizontal slot in a plate that slides vertically past the lens to expose the film. If it moves from top to bottom, it'll 'scan' the car starting at the street and moving up the car as it drops. The latent image ends up inverted on the film in the camera. If the shutter travels slowly enough, the car's motion is registered a little further along as the light exposes the film.

Similar to this:

I set this pic upside down on my scanner and moved the pic 'forward' while the scanner was moving.

Of course only the car would be distorted, not the background.

Make sense?

Last edited by ShortBus; 09-14-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #12
2002p51
Alliance Member

Quote:
you could do that by having a shutter which works like a window shade with a slit in it, that moves vertically as the photo is taken. Like a Speed Graphic camera, for example.

the bottom of the picture is taken first, then as the slit moves upward the rest of the picture is taken. So the bottom shows where the car was at the beginning of the shot, the top shows where it was at the end of the shot, and it moved forward during that time.
That's exactly what's going on. Those old film cameras had a dual blade shutter. Instead of a single blade uncovering, then covering the film. One blade exposes the film, then the second blade follows behind, covering up the film. So what you get for the shorter exposure times is, in effect, just a slit as the second blade follows closely behind the first.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:06 PM   #13
squirrel
Old School HAMBer

here's a web page that offers a more in depth explanation

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/text-slit-scan.html
Old 09-14-2007, 02:07 PM   #14
Mazooma1
Alliance Member

a twin lens reflex would not cause this effect.

Also, you may have heard stories about the panorama graduation photos that were popular from the 1920's until the 1970's. Remember seeing the graduation photos that were long and skinny (8"X30" or so)? Sometimes a kid could get in the photo twice. once at each end of the group. The kis would hear the lens "click" and then run like hel to the other end of the group of students, freeze in his tracks, face the camera and smile one more time. All the while the old fashioned panorama camera would travel from one side to the other on a spring loaded gear mechanism with a "focal plane" shutter, which would allow enough time for the kid to get in the photo twice.
Now, if the kid picked the wrong side to start with, he wouldn't be in the photo at all, because the camera shutter would be traveling in an opposite direction as the kid.
This is the drawback of a focal plane shutter. Distorted movement is common with any motion of the subject.
I shot graduation photos at high schools for over 30 years.
Wish I had a dollar for evertime I got the finger.

Last edited by Mazooma1; 09-14-2007 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Speedgraphix would cause that effect
Old 09-14-2007, 02:08 PM   #15
Jeem
Alliance Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
I'm thinking it's due to a vertical curtain shutter. Basically it's a horizontal slot in a plate that slides vertically past the lens to expose the film. If it moves from top to bottom, it'll 'scan' the car starting at the street and moving up the car as it drops. The latent image ends up inverted on the film in the camera. If the shutter travels slowly enough, the car's motion is registered a little further along as the light exposes the film.

Similar to this:

I set this pic upside down on my scanner and moved the pic 'forward' while the scanner was moving.

Make sense?
The proof of your correctness(?) is that the building is tipping too. When the car is shot at speed , obviously the thing that is at speed is playing with the shutter. Happy accident. If the shutter moved the opposite way, would it make a speeding car look like it's slamming on the brakes?!
Old 09-14-2007, 02:13 PM   #16
banjorear
Old School HAMBer

OK, great answers. Is there a way to get the same effect using a modern 35 mm film camera and without digital effects like photo shop?

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:15 PM   #17
Shaggy
Old School HAMBer

it's like the rat rodders thinking the cars were all black primer, sure they are black and not glossy, its a black and white photo
Old 09-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #18
Petejoe
Old School HAMBer

I too always wondered about this.
I originally thought it was created on purpose to give the illusion of speed. Now here to find out it was magic!
Cool looking shots!!

and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:26 PM   #19
squirrel
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjorear View Post
OK, great answers. Is there a way to get the same effect using a modern 35 mm film camera and without digital effects like photo shop?

Thanks.
Look into how 35mm cameras work, you might find they have a horizontal focal plane shutter. So, just turn the camera on it's side (the correct side so that the shutter moves from bottom to top) and have at it!

edit: make sure it's a 35mm SLR type camera
Old 09-14-2007, 02:33 PM   #20
1950ChevySuburban
Member Emeritus

Interesting how this accidental mechanical situation caused the art community to react to it, by intentionally drawing like this to give the illusion of speed. (Think of the elliptical effects of the Roadrunner and Coyote, etc.......)

/showthread.php?t=635145