Register now to get rid of these ads!

my hamb drags ha/gr experience

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sgtmcd42, Aug 26, 2007.

1. sgtmcd42

sgtmcd42

I originally posted this in the ha/gr forum, but thought I would post on the main forum as well. The drags were incredible. what follows is my rambling while still stoked over the win.

Ok, I have been told that history is written by the victor, so here is my version of what happened.:D The time slips are still packed in the trailer, so I am going to be going by memory.

First off, we had 7 cars this year. that is almost double last year! Some excellent work by all the teams to make great looking and fast running cars! Congrats to all of you for making the race.

The crooked 6 has been getting faster all year. Each attempt we have made we have shaved a few tenths off of our times. But we knew coming into Mokan that we would have to work pretty damn hard and have some major luck on our side to be in the running.

We made 2 qualifying passes. 13.60@99 and 13.80@99. Not as fast as we have been, but we were playing with some driving techniques to see what was going to work on that track. First round we got paired up with the Speed Merchants. They ran a good half second (or more) faster than us in qualifying. We staged and due to my completely intimidating personalility Brad cut the light a little quick and the red light came on. That gave us our first elmination round victory EVER!!!

Second round, we got the Ramrods. It looked like it was going to be the closest race for us. They had been running pretty close to what we had all day. mid 13's. We staged, I got out of the hole just a couple of hundredths faster and then grew the lead to about 2 tenths and took the win by 2 tenths. I think times were 13.45@100 to 13.65@103 (roughly). This was probably the sweetest victory! Not to rub it in, but we have been chasing the Ramrods since we started. For some fun competition, I have always had it in my mind that they were the team to beat. Well, Ted, I got you finally. Thanks for one hell of a race!

Well, that put us in the final to run 2b-banjo. They had been running at least a half a second faster that us if not more. If I remember right, they were running 12.70's or so. Well, I guess major luck was on my side again because 2b-banjo dumped the clutch a little too soon and the red light came on for him. It took me till about the 1000ft mark before I saw the win light on in my lane. I ran a 13.39@96. I guess I let up before going through the lights. I would have liked to see what that run would have been if I hadn't let up.

Well, that's it. A huge thanks to everyone who has helped out on the car, provided advice, or just a pat on the back. The past 2 years have been so much fun building and running this car. Thanks again to all!!!!

And as the saying goes..... This is why we don't race on paper, eh?:)

2. Good for you, man! I can't hardly wait to get ours together.

Hey! Where is this HA/GR forum you spoke of?

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...tis better to be lucky than good...you lucky bastard!!

We could have beat you, but... the sun was in our eyes...couldn't see the tree.

Soooooooooo...I guess either the car is no longer for sale...or...the price has tripled.:p

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. sgtmcd42

sgtmcd42

5. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

I've gotta hand it to ya, you made some pretty good runs for a slant 6 and had some luck on your side. I really enjoyed being there and especially enjoyed seeing the HA/GR cars run. I think I've got pics of every one of them staging at the lights or rolling out of the burnout box.

6. sgtmcd42

sgtmcd42

hmmmm...the sun was in your eyes at 9:15pm? :D:D:D:D

The car is still for sale, but after winning it will be all the harder to let go. Unfortunately, after getting home, life is still happening so the reasons for selling haven't gone away.:(

7. congrats dude,

Great to see that when luck goes your way, of all places its at Mokan, great story, congrats on the success.:)

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

8. Fe26

Fe26

Well done, very well done, keeping your cool pays off.

9. from one slant 6 dragster guy to another. could i get a picture of your slant 6 dragster somehow. I would even swap , here is mine in good faith
    Don

Attached Files:

10. sgtmcd42

sgtmcd42

here is a pic that someone took at the drags. I would give credit but I am not sure who took it. Thanks to that person, though! Great looking dragster! what times will it turn?

[​IMG]

11. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Ok! So the light I really saw was in the tach and the little red hand setting on 6000 and my foot damed near cramed thru the floor and I still couldn't catch ya. CONGRATS

12. sgtmcd42

sgtmcd42

with as many times as I have been behind you trying to catch you, I am glad I could return the favor.:D Thanks a TON!!!

13. We were sitting near your family and their reaction to your winning was awesome. They all jumped up and cheered and immediately ran off to greet you on the return. Jeff elbowed me and said something like "Check out the family, isn't that great?" It was really cool.

As an old fan of the leaningtowerofpower I was pretty stoked too :D

14. sgtmcd42

sgtmcd42

Nate, to me you just nailed it. Ya cars are cool and fun, but without people to enjoy them with......well, it just doesn't matter too much. My biggest regret is that my wife couldn't be there. Actually, she was there, but she had collapsed in the back of the truck. She has been battling a pretty nasty disease and it got the best of her in the heat and sun.

Thanks for the comments. It was all worth it when I got to put my daughter in the seat and she and I got towed to the winners circle together. She and I were grinning from ear to ear:D