Register now to get rid of these ads!

So is this a real "Barris" car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FoMoCoPower, Aug 17, 2007.

1. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

2. Rikster

Rikster

I assume this is the car that they refere to in the discription....

[​IMG]

Could be possible... very difficoult to compair the photos posted on Ebay with the once in the Barris books. I dont think I have ever seen the finished car in any 50's publication... I have always wondered how the under construction Ford would haver looked finished... but I had never guesed it would look like the one beeing sold on ebay now!
    I hope it looked far better when it was finished back then. with skirt and nice hubcaps I think it would look really well.

One thing for sure... the way the car looks now is STUPID!!!

3. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

yeah,it doesn`t look right....kinda like a conglomoration of styles .....

4. Rikster

Rikster

ok I was inspired.. and just wondered how it would look if done right.... or call it the Barris way?

I'm still not sure if it is a real Barris car... but it sure could be...

As it looks now...

[​IMG]

And how it can look with the proper accessories and lowered the way it was supposed to be.... a quick Photoshop...

[​IMG]

5. lehr

lehr

Now thats what that car should look like.... Nice job rickster

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

So....Barris put Bumpers by Briz on his customs?????????????

7. Tore

Tore

Naah.. scam !

8. nexxussian

nexxussian

After picture, definitely prefer the after picture. But that front bumper just don't look right.

9. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

I'm confused. Are you guys saying that's not an old ribbed Plymouth bumper on the car? That was a pretty popular mod in the 50s.

10. Rikster

Rikster

I think these are original 1937 DeSoto Bumpers... why else would you put rather rare 1937 DeSoto Bumper Guards on repro aluminum Briz bumpers!

11. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Your way too funny Rikster, "a quick Photoshop...", now it looks right on!

12. no kidding, great job with the mad photoshop skillz y0 :D

13. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Rikster! Rikster! Rikster For President!

14. Koops

Koops

5 years to restore? Obviously didn't read a single damn copy of any '50s mags then! I hate cars slung together like this. No style, just a slap-dash effort at jumpin' on the fashion bandwagon. Po' fools.:confused:

Rikster, you coulda chopped that geeky wooden pole outta the middle of it's roof.:D Nice 'Shoppin''.

Koops.....

15. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

That picture looks very much like the car that Bluto had in his warehouse in Cali.

B:DB

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"That picture looks very much like the car that Bluto had in his warehouse in Cali."

I think you could accurately say that about any interesting vehicle that comes along... :)

17. Great job, Rikster. To achieve your redo, you would have to tuck the rear wheels back into the wheel well. Your redo is exactly what it would look like in the day. Takes a good eye to see potential.
    As you have said many times, stance is the key to a good custom or rod.

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The redo is also a beautiful and accurate commentary on the difference between Streetrodder official current nostalgia crap and actual aesthetics of the past.
    The new version is a mismatched hash similar in effect to that so-called McMullen tribute deuce in the new SRM...the past carefully researched by looking into current magazine ads.

19. alchemy

alchemy

So true, Bruce, so true.

20. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I think that the look the car has accurately reflects a point in hotrodding history. This is how I would expect to see this car look about 10 years after its original build date. As the original custom trend/fad faded somewhat (post 1955), and customs took the direction of the "complicated customs", many customs based on the early bodystyles were redone in the hotrod style. Not saying whether that was a good thing or not...just something that often happened. The resulting "new" look (which is a mish-mash of styles) is still traditional.

21. <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Rikster,
    'Great job, now it looks right. Once I saw your photo-shop version, I can see how awful the e-bay version looks.

Dave
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

22. The "Rikster" version is better by a long mile. The way it is, it doesn't all come together.

23. The Harpoon

The Harpoon

FAT whitewalls and rader/radir wheels look good on one car and one car only: Ed Roths Mysterion.

24. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

But the question is....is it THE car? i think it could be, judging by the shape of the quarter window. The only thing that makes me wonder is if the roof has a weird forward pitch, but that could just be the fact that the "finished" version has an ass-up stance which is throwing off the perspective. It very well could be the original car. Too bad you need to spend $135,000 for a car that needs to be redone

25. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I'll take door number two Monty!

26. 49coupe

49coupe

I think it needs to be chopped at least another 3-4 inches to look right.:D Nice car, but not for that kind of money. Buy a bone stock coupe and take it to Choprods for a nicer chop. You'd be miles ahead.

Even if it was done by Barris, does it really matter? It's not one of the icon cars that came out of that shop. They were a kustom car shop. So is everything Barris touched or endorsed now worth $100K. I dont' think so.

27. ya might just want to contact Barris.ya know through the 70s and 80s alotta Kustoms got messed up look at what happened to the Kookie car..dual rear tires and all kinds of goofy shit...and the little coffin got the roof removed.and the list goes on........

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It went for 77K The Rikster version would have gone over my 87500 fantasy bid. I didn't see some of the way too new touches on it when I placed the fantasy bid and the over done pinstripes probably kept the bidding down quite a bit.

29. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

i agree with you mrchev. rikster's version would have brought way more money!. by the way my fantasy bid was 82000

30. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

This car is featured, and will be sold, in this weekend's BJ auction. It is a real Barris car, with the crest, and comes with documentation of its provenance.

dj