Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > Traditional Hot Rods

Old 08-12-2007, 07:11 AM   #1
colesy
Grenade Inspector

Default NHRA Junior Stock

xxxxxxxx

Last edited by colesy; 06-04-2012 at 08:03 PM.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:24 AM   #2
InjectorTim

Default Re: NHRA Junior Stock

Very cool, this one's my favorite from the bunch:

Anyone wanna chime in about what Junior stock was all about?
Old 08-12-2007, 07:56 AM   #3
recardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjectorTim View Post
Anyone wanna chime in about what Junior stock was all about?
Heads-up racing.

Bracket racing and break-outs is what killed drag racing. Ever notice how Top Fuel and Funny cars fill the stands? It's not just about nitro.

When you have to put your brakes on to not break-out, that's something different from the 60's and 70's.

Course now, everyone runs a GM or Chrysler based design, so the fun of watching a Buick motor outrun an AMC motor is gone also.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-12-2007, 08:43 AM   #4
unklgriz
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by recardo View Post
Heads-up racing.

Bracket racing and break-outs is what killed drag racing. Ever notice how Top Fuel and Funny cars fill the stands? It's not just about nitro.

When you have to put your brakes on to not break-out, that's something different from the 60's and 70's.

Course now, everyone runs a GM or Chrysler based design, so the fun of watching a Buick motor outrun an AMC motor is gone also.
I agree totally! There was nothing like watching the "wars" between the cars. I just don't get this timing stuff, and delay boxes. I really loved the run what ya brung racing! JR Stock, Super Stock, Stock, ProStock, Those were some serious battles on the track. Guys that were slamming gears and having a great time.

Larry
Old 08-12-2007, 09:37 AM   #5
Ramblur

I remembered them in 75 when I turned 15 and bought my 1st
car. The 57 Chevy sedan delivery just screamed Drag Racer to me.
Must have been all those magazine adds while I was growing up.
Still just a tad obsessed with these too. Mine was originally a 2-door
150 wagon,but by the time I got it someone had swapped in the
delivery panels in place of the windows and it had probably spent
some time at the track. Soon it will again...

Then...

Now...

Thanks, for the motivation!
Old 08-12-2007, 09:38 AM   #6
Grenade Inspector

Great pictures! Thanks.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
tcoupekyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by recardo View Post
Heads-up racing.

Thats no-kidding, there are still a few events that are heads up outlaw 10.5 is a heads up class, I believe, and its a blast to watch. and the amount of fans at the track when one of these events comes proves it.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:19 PM   #8
fab32
Alliance Member

The first year of Junior Stock at the Nationals we (Shaker Engineering out of Bay City .Mi) won the title with Phil Chishoms I/SA out of Lansing ,MI. The following year we did the heads on Jon Calander's '59 Chevy that won the bracket. Then in 1967 Ben Wenzel won with his '67 Z-28 Camaro running an engine we prepared for him.
It was an exciting time to be drag racing in the stock classes as it was about meticulous preperation, attention to detail and sharp consistant driving not how big your wallet was that produced a winner.

Frank
Old 08-12-2007, 01:33 PM   #9
recardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoupekyle View Post
Thats no-kidding, there are still a few events that are heads up outlaw 10.5 is a heads up class, I believe, and its a blast to watch. and the amount of fans at the track when one of these events comes proves it.
Yea Buddy! The 10.5 cars are hard charging for sure. I'd watch that.

Last edited by recardo; 10-30-2008 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
mtkawboy

I ran a Junior Stock 59 Chevy Biscayne 293 2 barrel, 185hp with a 4 speed in P/S in the late 60's in S Fla. Total cost of the entire car was $600 starting with a $50 car found behind a gas station with a blown motor. Record at the time was 15.24 held by Dave Boertman. Mine ran 15.50's. Junior stock was a lot of fun at low cost. My main competion was 55 Studebaker ran by Bob Dwyer called the Crockagator. Crock head on one end, gator head on the other. he was so bad because he had no place to shit. He beat me a lot more then I beat him. He was also a pro engine builder and I was a lineman
Old 08-12-2007, 03:29 PM   #11
fab32
Alliance Member

Colesy, the second picture you posted is of our '62 380hp /409/ 4spd station wagon that ran C/S. It was driven by Ron Kendal of Ithica, MI. The first full power pass that the car made it beat a Bill Jenkins prepared '61 Corvette out of Pennsylvania for a class win at the nationals in Indy. The Corvette had been running for about 3 years and had never been beat prior to that run. The whole story is an interesting one that I don't have time to print out here.
This thread has sure resurected a lot of good memories for me. Thanks

Frank

Last edited by fab32; 08-12-2007 at 03:43 PM.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:23 PM   #12
Omega

My fav pic
Old 08-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #13
draggin'GTO

Those were the days.....

Old 08-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #14
Omega

Quote:
Originally Posted by colesy View Post
That's Johnny Bartlett from Salem Oregon. He also ran a 4 door 54 Buick Century.

sweet it was also in that album!

Old 08-12-2007, 05:17 PM   #15
Wisenheimer

What I always remember about this era of drag racing was that the cars very often had a name. Like the Poole/Elliott cars "Border Bandits" or Bruce Sizemores H/MP 6 cyl Maverick "Prepartion H". out west I can remember "The Spy Machine" or how about a half black and half white 55 Chev gasser called "The Race Riot".
Old 08-12-2007, 06:16 PM   #16
mtkawboy

That picture of the Crockagator was taken after Dwyer sold the car & Dempsy Hardy drove it. Dwyer owned Precision Auto Machine that you see on the rear side of the car. He was one hell of an engine builder but passed away a while back from diabetes complications. He got to be one of my best friends and was 1 sharp Jose
Old 08-12-2007, 06:46 PM   #17
InjectorTim

What were the basic rules of the class?
Old 08-12-2007, 08:17 PM   #18
fab32
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colesy View Post
Frank;
This wouldn't happen to be the Vette would it? (Bob Rice photo) The other killer Vette I remember was Lombardo's Buckshot, but I believe it was a white 62?
Boy, your really jogging my memory now. I believe it is the one as it was red and had National Record Holder on the side. Anyway, it was owned by a couple of Italian brothers if memory serves me right. When they tore us down for class win certification they were all over the 409, even questioning whether it fit the class. Jenkins came over and talked to us (we used to hash over engine/chassis combinations with him every year when the new cars came out trying to pick wining combinations) and congratulated us on building that combination as he thought no one ever would. It was a 9 passenger wagon for God's sake. Your wife is supposed to pick up the kids from school and go grocery shopping in something like that.
I shouldn't even mention the '66 427//4sp Impala wagon we built for Art Pylor from Lansing MI. It lost on the final class run at Indy by red lighting. Not by rolling out of the beams but by picking the front tires straight up and allowing the red light beam to shine under it. Someone took a movie of that run and you can see the car never moved forward before the red light came on. Frame by frame shows that Art dumped the clutch at the last yellow, the rear tires wrinkle, the front picks up the tires and the red light comes on without the car moving forward.

Frank
Old 08-13-2007, 07:19 PM   #19
Down South Racer
Grenade Inspector

Could it have been the Musser brothers ? They had a 61 or 62 Vette that they ran in the jr. stock classes. They were runner up at Indy in 1966, I seem to remember,to Dave Kempton in his 1962 Plymouth.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:46 PM   #20
colesy
Grenade Inspector

Sorry Down South, I mis-read your post. You're right. The Musser's also ran a Vette in C/S as did Carman Rotunda out of N.J.