Register now to get rid of these ads!

Milners Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jacplumb, Aug 3, 2007.

1. jacplumb

jacplumb
    from new jersey

Anybody know who built milners coupe, and what parts went into building it?

beauishere likes this.
  2. Harms Way

Harms Way

The exact history of this car is nebulous, but Graffiti director George Lucas picked it out of a lineup of thirteen or fourteen coupes he had located before filming. They paid $1300 for the 32, and chose it primarily because it already had a chopped top. The coupe was then given to Henry Travers, who was in charge of preparing the cars for Graffiti. Lucas sat down with Travers and described exactly how the 32 was to look. The coupe was taken to Johnny Franklin's shop in Santa Rosa, where the entire front end was rebuilt and chrome plated and a special set of headers was built. The fenders were removed (the rears bobbed), the grill sectioned, and then the car was stripped and repainted with several coats of Canary yellow Laquer. Mechanically, the only changes were the addition of S T-10 four speed and a Man-a Fre four two -barrel intake.

http://members.aol.com/milnerscoupe/milnerscoupe.html

3. HulaZombie

HulaZombie

After Reading the above info on the 32, I thought .....MAN....Harms Way, really knows his shit !!!.....then I followed the link:rolleyes: .....Thanks for posting! Great information! Great way to start off a Saturday !

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

Geezzzz,......... I guess I shouldn't have posted the link:cool:,....... well I guess I was smart for a couple seconds at least:D

5. Jimv

Jimv

I always thought the car was found in a barn with Jimmy hoffa driving it, amelia airheart sitting shotgun & Judge Carter in the trunk!!WTF i was misinformed!!
    JimV

6. Low Fat 38

Low Fat 38
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norton,Ma

check out the American Graffiti web site . great source of info.

7. 36C8

36C8

My favorite part is the 120 range custom 32 speedo, using a Canadian SW face and front mount can, instead of a normal back-mount 32...Completely odd-ball!

8. Flatman

Flatman

I know it was relocated a year or two ago beside a barn in Kansas, if I'm not mistaken, and is in restoration now. Apparently the "THX-138" licence plates were stuck behind one of the door panels:D

Flatman

9. Degreaser

Degreaser

Who has it now, anyone know?

10. Flatman

Flatman

There was a thread about 6 months ago about it with pictures. Some shots at the barn and back at the resto shop. What I can't figure out is how a car that cool (and popular) dropped so far off the radar that it became a barn find.:confused:

Flatman

11. 47 jailbar

47 jailbar
    from Mn

" Toad " :D :D

12. Degreaser

Degreaser

My thoughts exactly. I always figured it was stashed away in some private collection.

13. 31whitey

31whitey

Milners coupe is UGLY

Yes I understand the symbolism that Lucas was trying to get across in the movie

Coupe is way out of proporition, and a jumble of cool hot rod styles

14. gaspumpchas

gaspumpchas

I read someplace that Lucas was so sure the movie was gonna bomb that the '32 and the '55 were in a warehouse someplace, no one would pay $1500 for them. Also read the THX plates used in the movie were in the trunk. Believe that one guy bought both cars; the '55 was the one in "two lane blacktop". Go figure....:D

Only anachonism I see in the '32 is the alternator; they didn't come in strong until '64,65???

" You and me toad, we'll take 'em all..."

gaspumpchas:D

15. 36C8

36C8

A couple of the gauges are post 1970...

16. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

i never noticed it until clicking the link, why is the grill shell so low?

17. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

I always liked the car...but for that DAMN grill shell...ahhhh!
    it does seem odd that such an iconic car, would fall out of the mix...and be lost. I have heard of several "alleged" Graffiti coupes, that turned out to be fraudulent...

18. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Looks like a monkey fuckin a football

19. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

The Coupe is not being restored. It's still out there, was in the Oakland Museum for a short time. Forget the name of the guy that owns it. Lots of info about this car. Just google it and see what comes up.

20. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

car owner Rick Figari of San Francisco.

21. Chuck R

Chuck R

Knowing where to get the info is the part that makes you smart.
    Way to go HARM!

22. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

This is from
    http://www.kathyschrock.net/graffiti/coupe.htm

Several years ago I was standing in the famous Roy Brizio Street Rods shop talking to parts manager Dave Catellini about that very subject when he said he knew the guy who now owns "Milner's Coupe"! I said "Dave, you've got to see if he'll let me photograph the car?" Dave set up a date with car owner Rick Figari of San Francisco. Rick was more then happy to pull the car out of the garage for us to shot pictures of it!! Rick explained that when he first saw the car at Steve Fitch's ranch in Wichita, the car looked pretty rough. It had been sitting out behind the barn exposed to the elements. The aluminum valve covers had been replaced with stock orange Chevy valve covers, the two fours manifold that they used on the car in the sequel had its air cleaners stolen and so the motor was full of water, the chrome was dull, faded and chipping. But all that didn't matter to Rick...this was the car of his dreams. He had fallen in love with the car after seeing the movie and he just had to own it! Once Rick got it back to northern California, he drained the motor and put in fresh oil and changed the filter. Much to his surprise, it fired right up and it still runs strong today. Next, he searched for a replacement for the missing Man-A-Fre four twos manifold and the Rochester 2g carbs. Rick says he doesn't drive the car when he has a cold because there's no fuse box -- if he smelt something burning he would pull the car over and check all the wiring. This car is rough, the carpet is falling apart, the upholstery is torn and worn, the firewall is rusty. When I asked Rick why he didn't fix the car up he had a very good answer: "I want the car to remain as original as possible"

23. I saw the car at the Oakland museum when they had the hotrod exhibit. How long ago was that, maybe 15 years ago. Damn time flies.

24. The Lone Wolf

The Lone Wolf
    from Malta

iconic car but not one of the coolest, not by a long chalk
    does look good though

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it would look 2000 times better with a normal sized grille shell. I never knew they cut it for the movie.

the thx plates were not real. the number was something to do with another movie Lucas made

26. Chuck R

Chuck R

Hard to believe how fast time flies. The Oakland Museum Exibit was a fun deal. Phil has put on several other hot rod art exibits over the years including one in Walnut Creek last year.

27. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

WHAT!!?? How the hell did I not know about this car sitting by a barn?:confused: I'm from Kansas for god's sake! Anybody know which part of Kansas it was found in? Please don't say southeast cuz that would make me sick!:eek:

28. saw, touched .and took pics here in town (mpl/st paul) twice in the last few years last time was with the world o wheels ... mr lamat was signing stuff sittin by it... the brackets for cameras are still there too

29. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

The car was on the Universal backlot after the movie was shot. It appeared in a classified ad in the L.A. times for $1800. After the movie was released, the ad was pulled.

The 55' from two laned black top was driven down Van Nuys Blvd. Taken to the track, Irwindale, I think, where it ran 10.90's.