Register now to get rid of these ads!

327 engine question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dt50chev, Jul 23, 2007.

1. dt50chev

dt50chev

I have a 275 hp 327 and it has the 14014416 heads on it. These heads have 58cc chambers and 1.84/1.50 valves. I know the valve and port sizes are on the small size, but will the engine run decent? It was in a full size truck and seemed low on power with a dual plane intake, 4 barrel carb and headers. I don't know the cam specs. I will tear the motor down in the next day or two.

2. Notorious

Notorious

A cam change will do wonders. It just depends on how much power you're looking for. It's just running out of breath right now with a medium truck spec'ed cam in it. Get some appropriate springs, maybe work the heads a little, even go to slightly larger valves if you want.

3. Mistersponge

Mistersponge

Might be worth looking for a set of 60cc powerpack heads. I just got a set off ebay yesterday for 80 bones.

4. Notorious

Notorious

I just checked your number and your specs are right. But those are 305 heads, no wonder the runners look so small! You might be better off starting with a better casting.

5. I concur, and as far as "working the heads" goes, pocket port! Every factory small block Chevy head I ever saw had a rough-ass transition from the valve seat to the port. thing is they were cast small close to the valve and machined with an undercut under the valve, which results in something of a venturi. A bit of die grinding before you get the valve work is probably worth 50hp in conjunction with a decent little cam and headers.

6. You're right, my book says 80-84 305 4bbl.

7. dt50chev

dt50chev

I know the heads are 305 heads and they have small ports, but my only other choice is a 76cc chamber head which would severely drop compression. Any opinions as to which would be the better choice?

8. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

1.84 valves come on 305 heads. that was the dead give away. those heads will work good but for a truck i would say to get a rv cam designed for torque. use a qjet carb for mileage and low end response and duel exhuasts. what trans and rear gear do you have? thats important too

9. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Boy...I just did a google search on "14014416 head" and you'd be surprised just how liked these heads are as a street or dirt track swap!
    They are the best of the 305 heads and were originally on the HO 305 and some truck 305's.
    NOT that hard to find in other words.
    Seems they work especially well with a 1.94/1.60 valve swap/rebuild but even stock they are excellent on the street.

Now I KNOW you can get a better aftermarket set and all, but for a fella on a budget who wants to mess around with easy to access parts and not get all caught up in the money game...why not?
    Fun is fun! ;) :D

Hit Google and you'll find LOADS of reading and info!!!!

10. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I would say for the price of redoing the heads, you can get a set of World S/R Torquer heads for about $370 ea. Maybe you can find a set on ebay or swap meet.

11. dt50chev

dt50chev

Trans is a 700r4. Unsure of rear gearing, just got the truck.