Register now to get rid of these ads!

BigKen's '33 Pickup Progress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigken, Jul 18, 2007.

1. bigken

bigken

Damn this is the fun part, puttin' it back together for the 'FINAL' time (well, we know how that works).
    Anyway, mockup is over, de-construction commenced. Sunday, July 8th, frame is ready for powdercoat. Taking out the tranny and crossmember, getting ready for final welding. Got that accomplished. Dropped the frame off at the powdercoater on Monday-lunch. Picked it back up Thursday, and had the He-Men and Torques guys over for some re-assembly. Made some minor mods in the meantime, but by the end of the night, we had a full rolling chassis - AGAIN. SCHWEEET.......... Saturday, we installed fuel tank/pump/lines, and plumbed all the brakes. KILLER.
    Sunday, painted motor, and cleaned crap up for reinstall. Cleaned out the oil pan so well, it exposed pinholes in the damn bottom of the pan. Sludge was keeping it from leaking, previousely. Didn't realize that until it was installed and back on the hoist. CRAP - gotta buy a new pan. Monday night, time to install clutch, bell housing, tranny, and install back into the frame. SHIT - realized I had the wrong damn clutch and it wouldn't mate to the flywheel. Took it back, and basically shot my night to hell.
    Tuesday, scrambled to find clutch, oil pan, and misc.. Got home after work yesteday, put the motor back on the stand, flipped over to install new pan. Hugh (53Ash) came over for the nights festivities. We flipped it back upright, put it back in the hoist, and installed the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate. Stabbed the tranny first time, then realized we can't install clutch fork with the tranny in. So, pulled it back out, installed fork, and stabbed it right back in. SMOOTH. So far so good.
    Finally, rolled the hoist over to the frame, and we massaged the motor/trans back into it's resting place. Installed the crossmember, tightened all the mounts, installed the d-shaft, and called it a night.
    So, here are the pics from the last weeks efforts.
    Have I mentioned, my boy and I, are to take it's maiden voyage next week, Dallas to St. Louis? To leave on the 27th, back to Dallas on the 30th. I will post again later, scoping out HAMBER's along my route, for backup, if issues should occur.
    I want to thank the guys that have helped get this thing to where it is. That includes guys in my garage and guys on the HAMB. You know who you are.
    Thanks............

Attached Files:

2. BK,,the frame looks great,,,ain't it fun when it starts looking like something again!

The cab is not far away now! HRP

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Keep it up!
    You'll make it.
    I still say your pulling my leg.
    The work and thought shows me you have done this before but you have indicated its been bikes your whole life.
    Just goes to show what can be done with hard work, alot of studying, good friends and the Hamb.
    This place is amazing along with what you have accomplished in such a short time.

4. Frank

Frank

Way to go, BK! Looking good git'n er done. Can't wait to see it in person.

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...doesn't the cam go IN the engine?...;)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. bigken

bigken

"OH SH*T", :eek: I knew that guy was bad with wrenches..............thanks for pointing that out, Larry. :p

7. Looking good! Like the cam touch on the front end.

8. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Looking good BK

9. pecker head

pecker head

Cool ! Looks DANG good !

10. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

lookin good !!!

11. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

That's a beauty!

Is that a 4-jet carb on yer motor? I'm fixin' to run two of those suckers on a 2X4 set up some day soon...

12. bigken

bigken

Thanks guys, appreciate it.
    I don't think the carb is a Quadrajet, but is the stock Rochester that came on the '58. Might be lookin' for something bigger in the future.

13. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Well, then it is a 4-jet (4gc) rochester. Keep me in mind when you get rid of it.

14. Anderson

Anderson

Looks great Ken. Can't wait to see it all together. Those headers are going to look pretty good on there.

15. Rusty

Rusty

Any updates???????

Rusty

16. Rusty

Rusty

We need some youtube footage!!!!

Rusty

17. Rusty

Rusty

I assume this is already running now. 3 days till departure?

Rusty

18. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Cool! I can't wait to see this at the HAMB Drags - you're going, right??

Malcolm

19. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

WOW, thats really looking good. I hadn't seen an update in a long time, great to see your progress. Real nice!!

20. Rusty

Rusty

Does anyone know if Ken is still gonna make it. I need a update on it

Rusty

21. bigken

bigken

Hey Rusty, missed this target date. Had to deal with pedal/linkage issues at final assy. Wrong clutch set us back. We were pretty close to firing it on Sunday night, TONIGHT might be the night for that. Missing this goal sure wasn't for lack of trying. We are definatley on track for the Drags.
    Gonna leave for St. Louis (flying) Friday, and fly back Monday. Having a 50th Anniversary party for my folks, and a lot of original members of the 'Torques' CC are going to be in attendance. It's going to be a great time. Gonna miss 4 days of thrashing, but will make up for it next week.
    Thanks for the comments and support.

22. Rusty

Rusty

Man Ken thissucks, I know you were trying to make it up to surprise the other members. I know they will still be excited about the late nights. It will be a good conversation of times they missed a deadline. I was worried about the pedal linkage too but I thought yall had it figured out. Well glad you got it all working for you now. HAMB DRAGS OR BUST less than 30 days

23. arkracing

arkracing

Looks good (wish mine looked that good:rolleyes: )

Anyway hope to see it and check it out @ the Drags.

Oh and I have to apoligize - you PM'd me over a year ago looking for some build pictures and stuff of mine, and I never really got back to you I don't think. Just thought I would apoligize and say that your build looks alot better than mine anyway :)

24. Rusty

Rusty

Well has there been any updates to Kens truck? The final hour or should I say month is upon us 24 days till departure

Rusty

25. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Ken is still out. Heres a few of the pedal work.

Attached Files:

26. bigken

bigken

Thanks Rick, got home LATE Monday night. Yesterday, had some last minute mods to the clutch linkage - SOMEONE TELL ME TO GO HYDRAULIC - on the next one - DAMN. Repainted all that, installed for the LAST friggin' time. I painted/sealed the floorboards for the cab. Installed the left headers, and have to modify the generator bracket, due to modifying the angle the headers depart the flange. No biggie. Tonight, finish lower/inside firewall, finish plug wires, mount voltage reg/resistor, relocate coil to firewall. Install steering coloumn,wheel.
    Pics to follow.........thanks for askin', Rusty.

27. Rusty

Rusty

He's back now, just lighting the fire on the ole man to get it in gear

Rusty

28. bigken

bigken

Now look here, you damn little 'whipper-snapper', I done tole ya once't to watch that 'ole man' stuff.......... :p

29. Rusty

Rusty

Sorry I guess I should not let the keyboard hide the respect at all, get back to work already!!!!!!

30. bigken

bigken

ALLRIGHT NOW......... we're getting very close. God willing, the cab went on for the last time, last night. Got the headers installed, generator bracket modified/installed, generator mounted. Plug wires routed/installed. Still have half the hood to paint, but that is a low priority since it ain't REQUIRED for driving.
    Modified, painted, and installed the lower (removable) firewall section. All linkage and pedals clear, and work very well. Threw in the floorboards after modifications to clear all the linkage. Painted and installed the steering column, shaft and wheel. Hooked it all up, and it works smooth, with the exception of a tiny clearance issue, which my grinder will remedy tonight. Installed (temporarily) the dash, gauges, overhead gauge console. It's gonna look alot better after paint and stripping. Overhead gauge bracket, desiged it and one of the guys in the shop made it for me, out of 10 ga. polished stainless steel. I like it, and it only cost me a half gallon of Tequilla.....
    Voltage reg. and electrical goodies start to go in TONIGHT.
    Oh yea, the air cleaner. That came off my dad's buddy John's '55 Vette. He still has the car, and drag races it.
    We are so close, and just wanna thank y'all for all the help and encouragement.

Attached Files: