Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Day In A Crazy Man's Life...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Roothawg

Roothawg

The reason I spend so much time here on the hamb is that it is the first time in my life I have ever found a place where so many people are as insane as I am.

When I was a kid, the other kids in the neighborhood just didn't see my vision. I was constantly looking for like minded people that were as obsessed with cars as I was.

I stumbled into the JJ one day when computers were just starting to pop up in peoples houses and asked if anyone in the OKC area was interested in traditional hot rods...Ryan and JK spoke up and I just never really left.

Glad to be one of the insane.

3. You nailed it. My head, too, is a swirling cacophony of images, sounds, possibilities. It vibrates with so many "if I did this, how would it affect that" scenarios as I build rods in my head that they sometimes blot out the external world. I can see the finished results in my head and I spend my mental energies deconstructing and reverse engineering it.

About the only time I don't have hot rod thought is, like you, when I'm in the company of my sons and that's no assurance that it won't happen. My youngest is car crazy (and love Dora too) and my older boy is showing interests in his old man's obsession. BTW, I can't stand Dora but I'll sit through it for Aiden. (Thank God that Dora obsession is waning for him).

I wonder about the "modern" hot rod as well. I see all sorts of components of modern cars and thing about the adaptation of these to an old car. I love the looks and feel of old cars but I'm intrigued by the seemingly effortless ease which new cars do what they do. Combining those is the essence of what we call "street rodding" but I love the look of the traditional rod. I know that when my '50 Packard starts to take shape as a custom that I'll be incorporating some modern features but they'll have to remain hidden, like and IRS for comfort and 4-wheel discs so I can stop that behemoth in modern ADD traffic.

So where's the modern hot rod trend going? Personally, I'm not that interested in the show winning one-off creations that win Ridlers and AMBRs; I know what I like and I plan on building my cars as I see fit. If I think my project needs a modern convenience I'll leave that to the custom. But as for my hot rod projects, I love the old stuff. In that respect I guess I'm an old soul in a modern world.

4. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel
    from Lavon, Tx

A very interesting view into the life of "the boss." It's impressive to me how you can balance everything in your life, I struggle with it everyday. As I was reading about the Alliance tags, I pictured you stamping out my lastest. It reminded me that I don't sign up for the discounts, but rather to simply support such an amazing place as the HAMB!

A little of my OCD coming out: '92 vette was a C4. The C5 was 97-04. Sorry, I can't help it.

5. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I think you've all hit the nail on the head here with this 'sickness' description. I've been an addict pretty much ever since I found this place, and have enjoyed being here and reading about issues and problems others are running into.

I also want to thank everyone here, as well as Ryan for providing this place for us. Thanks to all of you, I was finally able to come to 'terms' with myself and revive my '29 RPU instead of just talking about wanting/needing to do it. No, I'm not anywhere near finished with it, but I'm getting closer, and it is MUCH closer than it was 6 months ago.

For me, I'm almost dreading the idea of starting to work and teach. I'm going to be busy as hell, and don't know how much time I'm going to have to devote to the HAMB. I just hope I don't do something stupid like quit working because it keeps cutting into my HAMB time!

6. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I didn't realize how much I talk about cars until a bet a couple of weeks ago. I had to go 24hrs without mentioning one car... I lost. Walking out in a parking lot there was a brand new S8 Audi and I said " there would be a nice family car, haha" and that was it. Every damn car I see starts a train of thought about what I could do with it, what I would change, what I would use it for.

and it never stops.. Yesterday I moved my '54panel truck to the house, dropped in a battery. Today I'm moving the '53 to storage and maybe picking up wheels.... There's just not a day that goes by that a car related thing doesn't make it on the agenda.

7. Harms Way

Harms Way

If this equals "crazy" count me in,.... Life in general seems to take you in all sorts of directions,...... Some things in life are constants, others change seemingly overnight. While reading your post I remembered when my two sons were very young, and life held all kinds of possibilities,.......
    Time just marched on, My oldest is married and I am a grandpa now, my younger son is going to collage for engineering, I am increasingly more sore after a "Bonzi" session in the garage.

The thing that has remained consistent in life for me is God's grace and Hot Rods,... ( although I could write volumes about God's grace in my life, I understand it's felt this is a unacceptable format for that and I respect those wishes) since I was a kid, Hot rods have played a hough role in my life,.... but something that has struck me recently, after getting back a Deuce coupe I had as a teen, I have plans to put it back together like it was back then, In my minds eye I can see myself and my brother working on it in my Dads garage,
    40 years ago, Dad looking out the kitchen window to see what we were doing,......

Well, Dad and Mom are both gone, and my brother's life is measured in day's now,..... But the Deuce Coupe is on it's way to a new life with old memories, There will be a lot of times in the future as work progresses on the Coupe that I will remember those days when I was a teen, and for a second or two I will be a kid at heart again and those I love will be with me again,.... I guess as we grow old around our Hot Rods,..... they are the closest thing we have to a time machine. ( and you thought you were crazy !)

8. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Mmmmmmmmmmm.............................pills.......................

9. Dirk35

Dirk35

That is one of the best Blogs Ive read in a while (in my humble opnion). You see, I studied psychology in college and always enjoyed thinking about how people think. Couple that with someone thinking about cars, and Im giddy like a little school girl.

WELL DONE Ryan!!!!

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Try being a female and having these same car obsessions. Females have basicly no peers that understand. Most of my family thinks I'm crazy with my nonstop talk of cars/events/HAMB etc. Thankfully I have the HAMB to discuss these things with or I just might go insane.

11. Harms Way

Harms Way

Might ? :D

12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Great read.

My name is Nick and I'm an alco..... Oh, wait, I mean Car-oholic.

I also have this car crazy sickness, and I love it - wouldn't have it any other way. The HAMB is a great place!

Many of my friends, relatives, and co-workers think I'm crazy at times. I'm glad everyone here understands.

It's surprising that I actually get anything done at work!

Back to the grind.

Malcolm

13. rustyparts

rustyparts
    from Clinton,Mt

Nice!! You made my day! What a good read .now I can head to work and think about hot rods!

14. I for one have missed your pain-pill induced ramblings............

15. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

From the cars your Dad has I thought your crazyness was hereditary! Or was it you that got Him involved. If so you did good. Some times we can have an effect on our elders.

16. skullcracker

skullcracker
    from Austin

Awesome entry. That's why we love you.
    Sent from my iPhone while on vacation at the in laws driving to nigara falls with my wife and daughter in a rented toyota with Cars playing on th DVD

17. Frank

Frank

Hello. My name is Frank and I am a caroholic. Its nice to share this meeting place with fellow "drunks" drinking the same Kool-aid. I have no desire or hope in recovering from this affliction. I am intrigued by ALL things mechanical and the engineering behind them, cars especially. Other kids my age thought I was weird because I talked about cars so much. My wife often asks me what I am thinking. Instead of saying "nothing" I have gotten to where I explain in great detail about what engineering obstacle I am running through my head. I get a blank stare and a smile. That is just fine by me.

(No disrespect to anyone in NA or AA that is trying to get help.)

18. mine was an addiction way before I ran across this place. But, unlike some here, it's all about the build. I'm constantly searching and researching ideas for my latest projects, when I'm not in the shop building. My wife used to grin when I'd come in from the shop, turn on the computer, and tell her "I'm through with cars for the day." She knew better, but never complained. It's been almost two years since she's passed away, and I still miss that grin. I always will. If it wasn't for this obsession, I think I would have gone off the deep end. The HAMB is a nice break in my day. It takes my mind off my cars, and lets me see what others are doing.

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I'm just here for the purple kool-aid.

20. Frank

Frank

LOL. We must have been posting about the same time. Must be in tune.

21. Great read. Thanks for the peek into your head.
    Cherish those moments with your little girl. By the time I slowed my life down enough to put my 3rd daughter to bed every night my wife had decided she could'nt love a car addict anymore:( :mad: . Cars don't grow up or move out, people do.
    Hope your back feels better.

22. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Thanks for sharing some of your life Ryan.
    Yep, I too love all cars. I can always find something about any of them to study or admire.
    I didn't realized I was obsessed until it was mentioned here on the Hamb. This place made it worse. the information here is an overload to my obsession. its a wonder I dont overdose.
    My wife thinks I am a sick man.
    She just doesnt understand the obsession.

23. NoSurf

NoSurf

Why doesn't Little Bear wear any clothes?

24. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

haha just last night my wife said she doesnt know if the contents of the garage will help or hurt the sale of our house :) of course i took that as a compliment!
    just did an all day trip last weekend to deliver a truck and pick up a killer intake.
    then this weekend i'm going to pick up a few engines....yes it's a crazy life, but damn fun!

25. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Good post Ryan, sounds a lot like my house. Except I have 2 girls.
    I've been dealing with my back since 1987 - got hit by a drunk driver who died on the scene.
    Nothing makes time fly by like watching kids grow up. Savor every moment- I know you do already.
    My oldest daughter is 15, has her first real date with a nice kid Friday. His dad owns part of Southwest International Raceway.
    If it's not kids, I live eat and breathe cars.

26. Ryan, thanks for all you do.

27. Firetop

Firetop
    from chicago

Great article. At least I know there other out there who share the addiction. I cant help but think about cars all day and always wonder what I could do to that one or that one. Always the thoughts of that needs to be in the weeds and paint etc. Woman thought I was obcessed. Just recently got the 51 barely working and now have become readdicted to roadsters again.Now...she just thinks Im sick and grateful the HAMB can fill the gap......

28. Terry

Terry

Ryan,
    Your editorial was as always, on target. I think there are many of us that go through our livs feeling the same way as you.

I am in front of my screen now, at home, going over inventory. While my 15 yr. old boy is out for his first year, working with the crew. As I read your post my cell rings, and it's Samuel who has come across a 47 Chrysler for 3500.00, running. I wanted to ask why he was looking at a car, and why he and the others weren't working.... but I guess it's my own fault.

I am now into my 31st. year as a Hot Rodder (as a owner that is, Dad had me going since birth) and I obsess every day. I get frustrated at times, yell and pout somtimes, and threaten to sell everything off and turn the shop into a green house, spending the rest of my days growing lillys. But I know it will never happen.

It gets into our blood somhow, and looking at Samuel I see it is a contigus diease.

I want to give a big thanks to you for building this community. It is the best outlet ever for carholics like us. Sure we have our little tuffs now and then, and don't always agree. But thats what makes it interesting, no? In the end though it's great to have like minded folks just a click away, a place we can all go to get quick fix!

29. It's in the script.;)

Hell, I wouldn't either but NOBODY wants to see that. :eek: