Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nu-chrome Plating in Fall River, Massachusettes???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anderson, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Anderson

Anderson

Their website:

http://nu-chrome.com/

Has anyone here ever dealt with them? Does anybody here know anybody there?

Our shop sent a grill from a '37 Oldsmobile to them in very early January. It was potmetal, and had been hit and was broken in a few places. They said no problem, we can fix it. They had it about a month and a half and when we got it back, half of the pieces had broken durring shipping and there were still pits in the chrome.

We sent the bad pieces back to them after they said to do so, and they would make it right. We didn't hear from them for another month so we call and they say it will be ready in a week...well you know the drill....anyway, here it is mid July and we don't have the parts. They wont return our calls and now have stopped actually answering the phone.

Meanwhile we've had this guys car in our shop since Christmas waiting on this place so we can put his car back together, and we don't know where our parts are.

Does anybody know this place?

2. Anderson

Anderson

3. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

fall river huh, well i'll have to go over there and kick some asses for you! haha.

hope you can get your parts back, if not, sue the cheapskates

4. TORR

TORR
    Member Emeritus
    from BOSTON, MA

I have bad news for you, I have heard at least 6 similar stories locally about these guys. Every swap meet I go to, seems like I hear another.
    I have never personally done buisness with them.

5. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

People suck, we need to train monkeys to do this shit.

What's up TORR? Wanna play the Orlando Rumbler's Show in February 08?

Love you buddy.

6. jetmek

jetmek

they did the potmetal grill inserts for my 53 stude 6 or 8 years back. came back 6 months later wavy and pitted and i was 1000$ poorer. havent done business there again.

7. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

THEY COMPLETLY SUCK!!

When I built my '33 p/u, I paid them what I knew was too much money for a job they promised to be within a month and real nice. What I got back the first time 2 months later was junk and mechanically not even usable, never mind the shitty chrome quality. Another month later after them stripping the parts and then half-assed fixing the parts I picked them up. They did give me a sizable refund, but I would never do business with them again in my life time. I laugh every time I see the sorry ass owner with his booth at swap meets around here promising more people quality work.

STAY AWAY FROM NU_CHROME PLATING IN FALL RIVER MASS...THEY COMPLETLY SUCK!!

Good luck with your deal, but honestly, figure out a backup plan for your customer.

8. tnshovelhead

tnshovelhead

I had huge lot of parts I had these guys quote at Carlisle. The quote was very good...more reasonable than I had expected! I was pressured to leave the parts with the rep so he could deliver them to his shop. I'm glad I didn't do this. I wanted to wait and search online for references...and I'm very glad I did. Thanks HAMB!!!

9. K10

K10

About 6 or 8 years ago, I had a '41 GMC grill chromed from them. It took them forever........ Cost me $1,800 bucks. When it was returned, it was all in pieces with no fasteners. I had them reassemble it w/ s/s fasteners which they did at no charge. In this neck of the woods, they are the only game in town. If they don't answer the phone anymore, maybe they took their ball and went home!

10. 5window

5window

I hope you get your parts back. Sorry, I don't understand why, when there are reputable places like Advanced, Paul, Librandi's etc., why anyone would ship off valuable pieces to an unknown plater. Hindsight is 20-20, especially given time time,distance and money involved,but you should have checked them out first, gotten local HAMB references, had a written contract, and photo-documented the transaction.

11. oldcarkook

oldcarkook
    from Bahstin

There was a time, 15-20 years ago, when Nu-Chrome was great. They had skilled people doing pretty difficult work on challenging parts restorations and the chrome quality was good. Then about 10-15 years ago as bikes got hot, they started to string along the restoration customers in favor of the bike shops that were paying top dollar to chrome brand new pieces that required little prep, zero repair, and little finishing. When that ship sailed away, they had badly damaged their reputation with the restoration parts that put them on the map, and, they had hemorrhaged their skilled help that could properly repair old pot metal parts in favor of lower cost grunts to just move parts from bath to bath. When the high dollar custom bike work imploded they had no ability to return to their glory of decades past because the skilled people who did that work had moved on to something else.

Adding insult to injury, Nu-Chrome has always been the highest priced date in town and that normally would suggest high level work, but in their case, they are in the deep end of the pool without their water wings pretending to still be a swimmer.

Twenty years ago they did a lot of work for me and area restoration shops, but today this is the story I hear time after time.
    [​IMG]

12. Fat Rich

Fat Rich
    from so. cal

been there........ I F-n hate those guys. I got to nu-chrome through a Hemmings add it took me a year to get a bumper back from nu chrome. I wrote a letter to Hemmings and that I know of Nu-chrome can't advertise in Hemmings any more. I was able to get my bumper back by writing a notorized letter and working through the Fall River Police dept. PM me he you'd like some contact names that might help you.

13. 5window

5window

It's good to know that Hemming's isn't chasing the advertising dollars so much that they won't stand up for their core-the readers.

14. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

Six months after sending them some work you're asking if anybody knows this place? The time to do your homework is before the work goes out -- not after. Next time try chrome plater Josh (he's on the HAMB.)

15. Foul

Foul

Just to let you know, we here at Hemmings don't lightly tolerate businesses that take advantage of our readers. In fact, we have one woman who works here whose job it is to follow up on complaints and disputes, and should she see too many complaints from a certain advertiser, that advertiser gets booted. Because she's there weeding out the bad apples, our readers know that the advertisers that remain in the magazine are trustworthy.

http://www.hemmings.com/complaints/

dan

16. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

Just an FYI everyone. The original post was from 7-12-2007. The recent reply was "Tnshovelhead" Who was thanking the HAMB as a great refererance. He almost sent his parts out but changed his mind after seeing this post.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  17. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Really...do you think everyone is that slow????????:rolleyes::D

If you were from around MA, you'd understand that it's oK to remind people how much of a d-bag Nu-chrome is, and what a service the HAMB and Hemmings is doing for us to stay away from shops like that.

18. slickfreak

slickfreak

I had them do some stuff for me in 03 when I lived 10 minutes from the place. I got a smokin deal sine their head sales guy was friends with an old motor head that lived up the street from me. I'll send this to him so they can see how bad their rep is....hopfuly they care.