Register now to get rid of these ads!

Marc Fenyo TOPHAT Pinstriping Wizard R.I.P.

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by yofenyo, Jun 5, 2007.

1. yofenyo

yofenyo
    from Toccoa

The artist, Marc Fenyo, was known as: 'The Top hat,' 'The Pinstriping Wizard,' 'The Mad Hatter,' 'Swordsman,' 'The Mad Striper,' and many others. He was a true master at the art of free-hand pinstriping. For forty years, he traveled coast-to-coast pinstriping at car shows, street rod events, hot rod runs, motorcycle rallies, race tracks, tractor pulls, rodeos, renaissance festivals, swap meets, truck stops, gas stations, car washes, antique stores, county fairs, flee markets, and any where else that he might find something to paint.
    Marc Fenyo masterfully decorated cars, trucks, motorcycles, eighteen-wheelers, buses, boats, airplanes, helicopters, submarines, tractors, window fronts, golf carts, bicycles, skateboards, guitars, wagon wheels, antique coca-cola machines and gas pumps, refrigerators, lawn mowers, and anything else from penny loafers to finger nails.
    Marc Fenyo was a free-spirited, open-minded, brilliant artist and showman and was quite a character. He was full of positive energy and had big an impact on those who knew him. He loved his craft and his customers alike.
    In September 1977, he was featured in Time magazine and has been recognized by multiple newspapers. He has also been featured in street rod, hot rod, biker, motorcycle, racing, and tattoo magazines.
    He was born in Freeport, NY, on Jan. 26, 1945 and he past away of cancer at age 62 on Apr. 29, 2007.
    He was an Air Force Vietnam veteran and he was a wonderful father of eight and grandfather of fourteen.
    He will always live in the hearts and memories of us all.

His family is seeking footage, photos, and stories.
    Tell your Top hat story at: [email protected]

2. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

Damn....I remember him setting up in the parking lot in front of National Auto Supply.......a LOOOONG time ago. Used to hang out after work, just to watch. Talanted Guy.

Godspeed Marc.

3. elvis8456

elvis8456

I knew Marc when he lived in Plattsmouth, Ne. He did my 55 Belair, and my 53 CHev panel truck. He was a great pinstriper but he was also a great person. He used to come by the house and I would teach him how to use nunchaku (num chuks). I miss his smile and his friendship. The last time I saw him was probably in the late 90's. I was shocked when I found out he died. Hopefully people will post photos so I can enjoy his work again.

4. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

Marc started pinstriping after asking my dad for a "few lessons"...

After a giving him a striping sword and a small can of white one-shot and a few lessons he went out on Dodge Street in Omaha and asked for $20 bucks to stripe a car.

When he wanted to learn more designs he would come back to the house and ask for more "lessons".

He kept coming by until he started copying my dad's designs. Then the lessons stopped.

He was quite a character. I'm glad he kept the art alive....

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

5. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

I also remember seeing him at the local car shows in the Tn/N Ga area. serious talent..and he was definitely a character. RIP Tophat

6. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

This belongs on the main board. People will want to know.

7. Tommy,,This thread is over 5 years old,,,

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. TheSandman

TheSandman

This may be a long shot but does know the original poster? I tried emailing them but the email isn't any good.

I have a motorcycle tank that may have been pinstriped by fenyo in 1980.

Thanks