Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where Did the Skinny Radials Go?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C9, May 31, 2007.

1. And the fat ones for that matter?

Decided to replace the too-wide-looking 195/70R-14 BF Goodrich TA's on the front of my 32 roadster.

Wheels are 5 1/2" x 14 slot mags so a narrower tire will work fine.

Been looking for something along the lines of 185/80R-14.
    All black preferred.
    A 195/80R-14 would work as well and may be a little better than the 185's.

Walked a couple of big box stores and the smallest sectional size I saw for cars was a 60.
    Checked Tire Rack on the net and didn't see any tires of the right size.
    From there they went to "black rubber band" in whatever the hell that size is.
    Cool on the ricers I suppose, but not so swift on a hot rod imo.

BF Goodrich would have been nice, but just about any brand that's all black and has a reasonable looking tread will do it.

Part of the reason for the change is that I've felt there's too much of a vertical styling component in my 32 when viewed from the front 3/4 angle.
    Along with that a couple of other things will get changed.

Not necessarily the rear tire size, I kinda like the soft and fat BF Goodrich 285/70R-15's riding on 10" wide slot mags, but it's starting to look like the 30" tall 285 has been discontinued.
    Not too wild about using the 31.50 x 15 light truck tire as was done several years back . . . by me and quite a few others.
    The 285 is virtually the same size and has a lot better ride at 20# pressure than the 31.50 did at 16#.
    Attribute that to the more plies 31.50 as compared to the lesser ply count on the 295's.

I don't want to get into the bias ply vs the radial thing here.
    Radials are what I want and if I can't find them in the smaller sizes with a narrow sectional rating, I'll go to a taller one.

That could work style-wise because I've seen a lot of trad style roadsters running a fairly tall bias ply and they look pretty good.

I could go to a 15" wheel, but a 6" wide slot mag is hard to find and the 4" ones virtually unobtainable....

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

3. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

4. DBTires

DBTires
    from Conway, SC

Have you considered a 75 series tire? They should be very plentiful, I know we have both 185 and 195/75/14's in stock. I also have access to 185R14's and 195R14's, which are basically an 80 series. As for rear tires, Hankook makes a 265/75/15. That tire has the height you want, but maybe not the width. The 285/70/15 BFG's are no longer in existence. All the tires I am speaking of are available in blackwall. Hope this helps you.

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

6. Offy

Offy

I put 15' x 4.5" Am. Racing Lakesters (Halibrand kidney bean style) with Coker Firestone VW radials on my deuce with hairpins. The 15" also helps to keep the suspension off the ground in case of a flat. I think the backs are 295/65/16 Goodyears on 8" x 16" wheels. The tread patterns nearly match and with a little help from a grooving iron would closely mimic a dirt track tread.

7. DBTires

DBTires
    from Conway, SC

This is the 185 and 195R14's I can probably get[​IMG]

8. Ford, 4 1/2" x 5.
    Five slot.

Uni-Lugs are ok, they work quite well if they're not hogged out.
    Big Secret to using these - and stopping the hog out bit - is installing CenterLine's thick mag lug washer.
    About 3/16" thick I believe.
    Using the usual thin mag lug washer on Uni-Lugs leads to a tapered, hogged out hole in Uni-Lugs and regular drilled for a specific pattern wheels as well.
    They're repairable in most cases, but much easier to start with a reasonably good one.

Here's a few pics to give you an idea of what's on there now.
    The wheel/tire shown in the first pic isn't really as big as it looks in the pic.
    A bit of an optical illusion.

The last pic shows how well the 14" wheel fits into the scheme of things.
    I'd kinda like to stay with the 14's since they're set up for the 32 hubcaps although setting up another pair wouldn't be too difficult since I still have the drill jig for that.
    As mentioned, the hard part is finding a suitably narrow 15" wheel.

I have a few slots, picked up from garage sales etc, and there are a couple 15 x 7's in the pile, but sadly, no 15 x 6 and no 15 x 8.

Never fails, no matter how many of these things I find it's never the right size.
    Took me 2-3 years to find another pair of 10" wides for the 31.

Attached Files:

9. Geez . . . lotsa answers while I was typing a response to Druss 32's response.

Many thanks.

10. Yeah, more than I thought far as tire choices go.

Do keep your eyes peeled, I would like a skinny pair of slots.

Thanks.

11. Jess H

Jess H

Hey Guys,

We are offering the 285/70R15 BFG Silvertown in a blackwall in addition to our wide white. They make a really good rear, have the "V" block tread design, and stand 30.75" tall. We have several options for the front; 175R14, 185R14, 195/70R14 all available in blackwall. Give us a call if we can help.

H.A.M.B. Alliance discount applies.

Thanks,

Jess

www.Coker.com
    1-800-251-6336

12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

13. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Whats your price on the black wall 285/70's lats time i checked even with my Hamb discount they seemed pretty pricey to me? I got lucky and found a used like new set from a fellow hamber and they are on the car. I gave good money for those also but i needed a set.. I dunno why BFG decided to stop making the radial t/a's seems like they are screwing themselves but as with any big business they forget to think some times:)
    Dave

14. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

15. tjm73

tjm73

He already said he went there and didn't find what he wanted.

16. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Tire rack still showed the 285/70/15's a month ago but ill bet they dont have any
    Dave

17. DrJ

DrJ

It was at least a year ago, but I put a set of 165 R 14 84S NANKANG BW tires on my MGB GT for about $50 each.
    Tread pattern is similar to a BFG.
    Got them at the store that usta be SuperShops on PCH here in LB.
    THey had to order them in, they only seem to stock "rubberband" tires in stores any more :rolleyes:
    Maybe NANKANG still makes them..?

18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

i had that problem a year ago with the bfg t/a 235 50 r14's for the front of my commuter i was running them but when i asked for some new ones they looked at me like i was retarded bfg stoped making them. I loved those tires too, lotsa meat for the front, a little too much.

Nobody makes that size anymore

19. A Boner

A Boner

The general population has the low profile tire mentality........The tire manufactures only bother with volume items........Skinny tires fall in the low volume sales list........LOTS OF LUCK.

20. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

got my skinnys frome tirerack.com this year...even went on there and looked for you and found em....

21. Well . . . maybe I'm not searching like I should.

Anyhoo, what did you find?

22. BBBad2dabone

BBBad2dabone

I found 145R-14 Firestones available in England. I got mine from http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Attached Files: