Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox chop progress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tewkes, May 14, 2007.

1. tewkes

tewkes

Another chopped shoebox, I know! I haven't really posted any pics before so I thought now was a good time. I started the chop a long time ago and I'm just now getting everything finished up (at least tacked in). Now comes the fun part, straightening up everything and smoothing it out. I got the rear window section all tacked in today. I started the rear window section a couple of weeks ago with the help of Dirtyt. I'm really happy with the results so far. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Bryan

Attached Files:

2. tewkes

tewkes

This week I'm gonna work on fitting this new mustang gas tank in the trunk and figuring out where the airbag setup is gonna go. Here's a pic of the gas tank, It'll fit perfectly between the two ridges in the trunk.

Attached Files:

3. DetroitBilt50

DetroitBilt50
    from detroit

i dig it! its nice to put a face to your car. from the pics it doesnt look like you have a ton of filler work to do in the back section:cool: . sweet looking dog too.

4. DetroitBilt50

DetroitBilt50
    from detroit

that should work out nice because that spare wheel hole would have to go anyways once teh car is dropped.

5. tewkes

tewkes

thanks! Everything surprisingly is pretty smooth and straight. Not bad for never doing anything like this before.

6. 00 MACK

00 MACK

7. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

yr metal work looks really nice, you use a E. wheel on those curves? great job.

9. It looks right. You tend to see a few that do not quite look right, this one does. Good work, my man. Keep it up & keep the pics posted, as well. I know it's hard to remember to stop & shoot a couple of pics every once in awhile, but it sure makes a difference when you go back over them.
    Nice job.

10. tewkes

tewkes

I used my english knee, and other objects such as the rear fender to bend the shape. I tried to use my french bulldog that is in the pics, but he wouldn't keep still.

Thanks for the comments.

11. jlibert

jlibert
    from fresno

looks perfect!

12. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

looks really good. nice job.

13. geemann51

geemann51

I like the trunk idea so much I did it myself, works real good. Here's a shot of mine....

Attached Files:

14. tewkes

tewkes

Here's a pic the day I took the roof off.

Attached Files:

15. tewkes

tewkes

Wow, so that's what mine is gonna look like! I have to do the notch and the tunne, just like that too. Anymore close-ups of the notch part?

16. geemann51

geemann51

There are some here...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99493

PM your email address, I'm sure I have some that aren't resized I can send you.

17. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Wow. Good job! I really dig the proportions.-DB

18. TwinH

TwinH
    from Finland

That´s one sweet looking shoebox! Good job.

I put one of them mustang tanks in to my Hudson. Got plenty more ground clearance now. I moved the filling tube so that I can fill her up from the stock location.

19. wz56km

wz56km

It looks great! Maybe you two would feel like helping a brother out when I do the roof on my coupe. It will be awhile since I'm trying to get the body off the frame right now so I can get it all jazzed up. All I have to do is figure out how to seperate the damn steering column from the damn steering box and I can finally get the body off.

20. tewkes

tewkes

Yeah,

I have to take the body off the frame next. Not looking forward to that.

21. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

What were your dimensions?? 5 & 6ish?? I think thats pretty much dead on, the back window is pretty much prefect.

22. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

un bolt the steering box from the frame and as long as your motor and front clip are off you can side the column out that way. or you can slide the body off the column. thats how i put the body back on my 51. just takes one xtra guy to guid it into place.

23. tewkes

tewkes

There was 5 inches from the A pillars and B pillars. Don't know how much was taken off the back exactly. I'm guessing around 6-7. I've been looking at chopped shoeboxes for the past 4 years trying to see what looks right. If you guys think it looks good than I've done my job. I was really worried with having the dreaded bubble in the back section.

24. rodknocker

rodknocker

what year mustang gas tank is that?

25. tewkes

tewkes

I got it from National parts depot. It's for a 65-68 mustang. There only $98 with a drain and the sending unit is like $25-30. Great deal considering using a fuel cell will cost just as much if not more and you lose all the trunk floor. I've seen these used in many different cars.

26. tewkes

tewkes

Here are some pics from todays's work. I have off on mondays so most of the work get's done then. Next is replacing the front floor section.

Bryan

Attached Files:

27. suicidal-element

suicidal-element
    from Auburn, CA

I am installing the Mustang gas tank in my 50 Shoebox trunk as well, only one question though. When the neck is so short, don't you get the smell of gas in your car plus a lil leakage from it splahing around? I was going to 90 mine from the tank neck to one side then 90 it up a few inches so that there is a lil room for splash. Also, that way I can put a breather in the hose to outside the trunk. What do you all think??

28. tewkes

tewkes

What I've seen done and plan on doing is extending the filler with a rubber hose or something compatible with gas and making it come up about 7-8 inches and then putting a screw type cap on it. I also plan on running a vent hose through the trunk floor. I just bought some square tubing to make the frame for it. You really don't need one but it flexes a bit when you push on it. I'm making the frame to sandwich the trunk floor between the tank flange and the tubing.

29. mortecai

mortecai

Hummm that gastank configuration brings to mind the old Ford Pinto. It was recalled because when struck by another car from the rear gasoline flooded the passenger compartment making french fries out of passengers. Might think about a way to keep the fuel in the back.

30. Cruiser

Cruiser

tewkes,

:cool: The shoebox is looking cool, the loft to the roof line seems to be perfect. Can't wait to see what you do the the front end and the tail lights. Put another fire wall barrier in the trunk in front of the air tank, make it solid so no fuel could get through if hit from the rear.

Cruiser:cool: