Register now to get rid of these ads!

1927 Ford Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 4, 2007.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. I`ve always loved the `27 and your right when put on a set of deuce rails they seem to take on a totally different stance and look....a good example is the tardel/walling T.....

heres one from over here in the UK

[​IMG]

monkey

3. Thresher

Thresher
    from Austin, TX

Well, that cinches it - gonna do that deuce grill thing for sure NOW! :)

4. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

The model T of 26-27 is my favorite. But stock without fenders they are ruler straight at the bottom, the deuce rails suit it perfect, it gives it more character and makes it flow more.

5. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

What modifications to the 32 frame have to be made to get it to fit body? Is this covered in Tardels book? I've always like the 27 body but they are to thin on stock type rails.This one looks great! Roadsters you got to love them.

6. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

The 26/27 T roadster is just a wonderful body style. I love them in a "highboy" manor, too many are channeled these days.

7. Really need to shorten the Deuce shells though. Mmm, they're on my list.

8. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I READ IN AN OLD MAGAZINE FROM THE 50'S (I DON'T REMEMBER WHICH ONE) THE 32 FRAME HAS A SLIGHT CURVE TO IT AND THE "T" BODY IS FLAT ON THE BOTTOM. A LOT OF GUYS WERE USING A TYPE OF SHIM TO FILL THAT GAP. BUT THEN OTHERS WERE JUST CHANNELING THE BODY OVER THE FRAME JUST A BIT TO FILL THE GAP. I COULD BE WRONG THOUGH.

9. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

26-27 roadster on 32 rails is hard to beat, but even harder to fit into if you're my size (i've tried, believe me, I've tried hard).

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I agree, the '27 roadster on '32 rails is a hot rod classic. Now, for those (like myself) that haven't pushed away from the table soon enought (++size) there is the Shadow rods XL27 roadster body. It's a little pricey but in todays market what isn't. The nice thing is that it's designed to fit on a stock dimentioned '32 frame. It's wider , taller and longer. If you get a chance where there is one at a show, sit in it, you'll be amazed how comfortable it is.
    It's also brand new steel (no rust repair and extensive body work), with a rust prevention coating that's vertually ready for paint thanks to the strict finish the panels are stamped to.

Frank

11. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Is that the car that was on the cover of HONK! with a dog in the driver's seat?

12. Muttley

Muttley

I think that was a '32.

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm pretty sure this was on the cover of a '51 or '52 issue of Hop Up... I remember it being a straight on shot... and a profile shot of a custom displayed under it...

This is from memory though. I could be wrong.

14. junk runner jr

junk runner jr

I couldn't agree more Ryan. Its been eight years since I started mine. Maby someday it will be on the road.

The stock 32 frame needs to have more curve put in to it to match the profile of the body. A few well placed cuts on the upper and lower lip of the fame before the boxing plates are welded in and that is easily taken care of. As mentioned the top of the 32 rails have a small kick up in them and the bottom of the T body is flat. Instead of using shims to take up the gap I modified the bottom flange of the body. Since my body is glass it was probably easier than on a steel body but the same principal could be applied. After loosly bolting the body to the frame I determined where the kick up in the frame started and marked the body. Then from the inside at the bottom of the cowl where it turns inside forming a flange that sits on the frame. I made a cut from the cowl back to the mark on the body where the frame starts its kick up. This allowed the cowl to slip down over the frame rails. I cut off the wedge shaped flap of cowl that is now hanging below the top of the frame. Lastly I glassed the flange back to the cowl. Now the bottom of the body has the same kick up as the frame and no shims are needed. I don't have and pics with me now but I will post some up later tonight.

15. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

this may be the one your thinking of ryan???
    its the only one i have saved here at work but it meets your description
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Boy, that is sweet. Thanks for sharing. I'm saving these to my inspiration file. Got ALL the pieces collected; just need to go ahead and retire.

17. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Close, but that's a different car- I thought that was the cover Ryan was thinking of.

18. alchemy

alchemy

That Hop Up roadster is the Eddie Dye 29.

19. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

yeah i wanted to add that it was the dye car...sorry
    i just thought from memory of the covers that might stick out since it had the duvall

20. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

I saw almost that exact car that Ryan's writing about at the Kansas Kustom Spectacular back in '99 (or was it '98??). The dash was different and the windshield was a little more square.

Bob Wilson's hotrod is a '27 on a '32 chassis. His has a Desoto Hemi in it though...

The only photographs I have of it are closeups. Someone has to have a pic of Bob and Big Rick stuffed into it during the ShopRag Garage Crawl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Nope... that's not the one I am thinking of... I'll find it when I get home... For some reason my mind is telling me it was a 1951 issue... and the camera angle was literally straight on at axle level.

I've got every issue of Hop Up ever printed, so I'll find it.

22. Hakoval Traedz

Hakoval Traedz

My 27 is still a pile of parts, but I remember reading about some tricks to improve interior room, leg room etc. Can anyone with experience share techniques? I'd planned to modify the rear bulkhead for a little more butt room, and lower the floor between the frame rails for more foot room. What else?

23. junk runner jr

junk runner jr

I dropped my floor between the rails two inches. Its not much but it helps. The way I have it set up the driving position is with legs bent and the seat back is layed back some. It should end up fairly comfortable. You do kind of get the feeling your wearing it rather than driving it. The only thing protruding above the cockpit is the tops of my shoulders and my head. Oh I am 6' 300lbs.

24. so have I....september `51

its the issue that had the coolest `34 ever on page 9

monkey

25. Hakoval Traedz

Hakoval Traedz

What about foot room? Are you running 3 pedals? Cowl steering?

26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Surf Monkey is correct; Hop Up #2, 9/51. I've looked at those pictures for 56 years, and never noticed the striping until Ryan pointed it out. That's 3 years before Von Dutch started appearing in the hot rod press!

Jim, I believe the roadster-with-dog in Car Craft was Balchowsky's deuce, back when it had a flathead Cadillac in it.

27. i ran 3 pedals in mine and it became an art form on how to control all 3 with one foot....add to that being 6` 2" my knees were wrapped around the steering wheel (which i changed from a 15" banjo to a 13" grant)....i felt like a rhino on a rollerskate....fun car but i have to ask `how tall were people in 1926/7`

monkey

28. Hakoval Traedz

Hakoval Traedz

From the look of the Coupes, people were a lot longer in the top half in those days.

29. 34Chrysler

34Chrysler

I am 6'4" so I know I would not fit! cool pix though

30. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

here you go
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]