Register now to get rid of these ads!

There *IS* better than free!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goztrider, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I posted about this load of stuff that followed me home over the weekend, out of which I managed to get the 9" rear, springs, brackets, etc that I wanted/needed for my Dubble A project.

Well, the load of stuff was 'given' to me, and when I was done getting what I needed off of it, I hauled what was left to the crusher. 1960 pounds later, I'm $98.00 richer for my FREE axle setup.

Spent $6.17 each on Ford truck wheels and junk tires to do my mock up with, and I'm still over $87.00 richer for the whole deal!

WOOHOO! I'm stoked!

2. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Here's a picture of the back half of the truck and the rear end I got it out of. An old motor, trans, door, is in the bed. Tossed a fridge, lawnmower, and some other scrap in to round it out.

Attached Files:

3. gotta love the free parts, but ya gotta love even more is the free $$$$$. hell that sounds like more free parts to me....joe

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

better factor in fuel cost... I'm sure your gas wasn't free also?

5. Ramblur

Ramblur

Buzzkill...:rolleyes:

6. whatever

whatever

sure it is you go to the neighbors house ;) jk

7. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Okay... so I've still got an extra $50 in my pocket even after fuel. Either way, run down the numbers for what I would have had to spend.

$100 for a 9" axle at the local U-pull-it yard
    $50 ($25 each) for the rear leaf springs
    $25 ($12.50 each) for the brake drums
    $40 for brackets to hang the rear
    ======================
    $215 total

Now, I made $98.00 at the crusher, and spent actuall $14.34 for 2 mock up wheels and tires at U-pull-it, and figure $50.00 for fuel. My time is worthless right now since I'm not working anyway.

So, $215 + $98 comes to $313

Subtract from that the $64.34 for fuel and wheels/tires, and I'm still up $248.66!

Hey, I don't care how you look at it, cash in my pocket and around $250 savings is an awesome deal in my book! Not to mention that the trip I made to go pick up the back half and junk was a trip that was paid for anyway.

I'm still stoked! As soon as I get my kids home from school I'ma going to get started pulling the Dubble A apart and get ready to hang this new rear under it!