Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alliance member needed to test our insulation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lobucrod, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Ok, here's the deal. I'm looking into getting set up as an alliance vendor. I have been selling insulation at swap meets, on our website and on EGay for about 5 years now. I have been reading all of posts on here about insulation with the hope that someone who has purchased our product would chime in with their opinion. What I want to do is send (at no cost) an alliance member enough insulation to cover the inside of a whole car. I don't care if its a coupe, sedan, whatever but it must be a closed car in order to get better input on heat and sound insulating qualities. I would also prefer it be a car that is currently being driven with no insulation in order to get a good before and after comparison. Also, someone who has used another product such as Dynamat, Fatmat,etc… would be helpful to get a comparison with any of those products. I can tell by the repeat business that I have that I don't sell junk, but I need some good input before setting up as a vendor here. I value most of the opinions here and, as it is with any large group, there are always those who will call something crap having no personal experience with it, or will not try a product unless they see it advertised in all the rags. Of course, products such as Dynamat are extremely overpriced in order to pay for all the advertising.

Just for a little history (if you're easily bored, skip this part and go to the last paragraph).

I am 55 years old and have been a car nut all my life. (If you dont believe it you can ask my wife and kids!) I have had my '38 Chevy coupe since 1974. When I got it, it was definitely old school. 283, 3spd non syncro, 57 rear, jacked up in the front gasser style, no insulation, rusted floors, very little heat and 2-80 AC (drive 80 with 2 windows down). The car was the worst case when it comes to driver comfort. Plenty of rattles, drafts, reverberating sheet metal...you name it. I drove it in this same configuration up until about 1984, when it got parked while time was spent with kids, building muscle cars, riding Harleys etc...
    Finally, in about '95, I moved, built a big shop and had room to take it completely apart before filling the shop up with the usual collection of swap meet bargains for future projects not to be passed up. In the process of collecting parts for the rebuild I ran across some of the same insulation that I sell now. It was a bargain and fit into my limited budget, so I bought enough to do the car.
    After replacing all the rusted out floorboards and removing all the original felt/tar crap from the roof, kick panels, doors etc., I completely covered the inside of the coupe with this material. Of course, the first thing I noticed was shutting the doors and hearing a solid sound instead of the reverberating noise I had been used to. The first test drive sans interior was just as rewarding. I'm not talking Lexus quiet here, but there was a remarkable difference. There was not an absence of road or engine noise, but as far as that goes I would rather be able to hear what's going on with the engine, drive train, tires and so on. I believe it was a good balance.
    I decided to research this product's advertised R values as compared to others. Most others either do not state an R value, grossly overrate it, or say something like "dependent on application". This product has been tested and the R values are: Down: 13, Horizontal: 9.6, and Vertical: 8.1. In order to not overstate it's R value, I advertise it to be 8.1. This is a better R value than 2" of fiberglass.
    I went to work getting set up to buy it direct from the manufacturer, because the only way to offer the best deal on a product is to cut out as many of the middle men as possible. I had to stick my neck out as far as giving them projected sales #'s in order to get this done. I started selling at swap meets with good results, so I went to the next step, EBay. Had good luck there so I went to the next step, website.(www.lobucrod.com) So far, we have been pretty successful mostly due to our dedication to customer service, my wife's computer abilities, and her willingness to go to swap meets. I sure couldn't do it without her support.
    We both hold down full time jobs and don’t expect this to make us rich. We are, however, hoping it will eventually grow enough that at least one of us can tell the man which end to kiss and go into it full time. If not, then maybe it will be a supplement to retirement in a few years, allowing us to continue to enjoy cruising, car shows and swap meets.

If you have made it this far,your car meets the criteria listed above, you want some free stuff, you have an open mind and you want to give us a serious, unbiased opinion of our product, please reply to this. You can PM me or e-mail us through the link on the website and we will get something going. I hope we can do business with a bunch of you later as an alliance vendor. If by chance one of you has already used our product and want to give us your opinion then we will consider this test done and send you a refund for the insulation. Pics of your instalation will be required.

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

and whats wrong with a convert???:eek:
    I'm actually going to be in the installing insulation mode here shortly. I promise a top on Big Olds about the same time the insulation goes in.:D

I've got over 65,000 seated miles in Big Olds like this so I should be able to report a positive difference;) :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

4. Shane T.

Shane T.

From what I hear Denise would be a good test subject.

5. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

from what I here, makes good cookies too!

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If someone takes Lobucrod up on the offer I would personally really like to see a Tech thread related to the installation and results of the product. It's got my attention and if I didn't have insulation in my coupe already, I would take up on the offer.

Keep us posted!

7. RacerRick

RacerRick

Yeah, Denise is pretty good. I would go with her in a second for a honest evaluation.

But if you are looking for closed cars...;P

I have a 49' Fleetline with zero insulation in it. I just got it to the point of driving it around and its pretty noisy - have to yell. I am getting ready to do the interior on it soon.

I have been meaning to become an alliance member, just keep forgetting! lol

8. actionrog

actionrog

I would certainly be interested, but I am still aways off from that stage. I am building a 1940 plymouth coupe. I'd say I'm at least 3mos. away from insulation being installed. I will be getting in touch with you when the time comes to do it.

9. IMHO, Big Olds would be an excellent choice. Denise has the photo journalistic ability to document the entire project in a concise, easy-to-understand format and post it in a timely manner for all to access. She has a high-profile car which, when finished, will be in magazines (it already has, unfinished). And, most-importantly, she always "tells it like it is" so if the product is good, she will forever recommend it.

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

As long as she keeps the cookie recipe/baking separate from the actual installation process...I dislike insulation tasting chocolate chip cookies...

R-

OH BTW, I have Lizardskin in my car, inside, outside and trunk ...I've yet to meet/hear of something to glue on that can come even close to Lizardskin...

11. BigChief

BigChief

....just keep her away from paint materials and everything will be fine. :)

-Bigchief.

12. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

If you cant do Denises convert, i'll volunteer my 37 Ford slantback. I'm about to put vintage air in it so it has to be insulated soon, or my nice cold air will be for nothing, and i'm an alliance member:D

13. lewislynn

lewislynn

This is O/T because my old (88) motorhome isn't old enough nor is it a custom, low-rider or a hot rod but I am going to recarpet it and I've been wondering if your insulation would hold up under that kind of foot traffic...PM me if you want.

14. Slate

Slate

Is your product one of these?
    http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

This site was the best comparison out there of sound insulation that I saw. IIRC, it was interesting that Dynamat was not the best bang for the buck.

15. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

I would be interested in buying some. I need insulation. If for some reason Denise and My31and37 cant do the test I would definately be up for it.

16. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Im interested. Check your pm's. -stick

17. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

That is quite an extensive article. I'll have to take time to read all of it. I did scan through some of it and saw a few references to 'closed cell foam. Our insulation is composed of 3/16" polyethylene closed cell microfoam with aluminum foil on both sides.

18. rpol7966

rpol7966

Mike,
    Ironically, I just started intalling your insulation in my '41 Ford pickup yesterday. I did the difficult under dash area with no problems. The insulation conforms to irregular contours very well. I'm doing the roof and rear cab today. The doors have a very small access hole which makes it very difficult to work through. They have a heavy coat of undercoating on the door skins so I may not try to use your insulation inside the doors. I'll take some pictures of my installation.
    I hope to have the truck on the road mid-summer.

19. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Hey its good to see that we have a customer on here already! I look forward to seeing some pics of your instalation. Since you wont have your truck on the road in time to get some feedback for this test we do offer free shipping on your next order if you will send us pics and a testimonial that we can use on the website.

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Mike, seriously, don't feel any pressure on selecting Big Olds if in fact you really want an enclosed car. I would certainly understand. I mean, just cuz we've been friends for like 7 years or something like that..........:D

22. RacerRick

RacerRick

No guilt there, eh denise?

BTW - the two tone terror that used to be FatHacks will be out very soon with its new underpinnings, but looking exactly the same ;) I am going to take it to Billetproof!

23. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Do new underpinnings include a floor and patching the excessive natural air conditioning??:D

Truely no guilt. I do actually have enough extra Lizard Skin to do Big Olds leftover from my Dad's '56. Thats what I had originally planned to use. just thought this might be a fun and informative alternative.

24. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

my 90 work vans a noisy sombich! ohh, to new??
    well i guess ill vote for Denise to then..afterall, she never shuts up! :rolleyes: :p perfect pr for you guys!:p :D

25. sinner13

sinner13
    from Buffalo NY

I bought 2 rolls for my 51 from ya, seems like good stuff, easy to work with. I havent really driven the car yet, so I can't give you much feedback. Looks as good as the "others"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Dang, my car sure is noisy inside.:D (oh, and I do have a tranny tunnel and even a stereo in there now)

[​IMG]

27. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

just sent you a PM

28. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

As usual Denise, You have quite an entourage here. Kelly and I were discussing it and we decided that driving around topless is one thing but you really need to do something about that bare bottom!

I hate to see the lizard skin go to waste. Its expensive!

29. atomickustom

atomickustom

Is that Low-E?? If so, I've got in all over the inside of my '53 Chevy and I can attest that it dropped the inside temp dramatically when I installed it.

30. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Hey we are really overwelmed by the good response we have already had to this and we haven't been bashed once! XX. I guess that's the way it is when people want some free stuff:rolleyes: . But who's taking away my stars! :mad: Many thanks to all who have contributed already. It looks like we will let this run through sunday and start sorting it out maybe in the evening. Its good to see some customers on here already. Got a couple of PM's from customers along with the posts here. Its Friiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!