Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Does Anybody Remember This Truck??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SHORTDOG, Apr 13, 2007.

1. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

Is there anybody out there that might know something about this truck? It is a 1947 Chevrolet pick up that was built (were guessing) in the mid to late 50's to early 60's in the Bellflower, Lakewood,
    Paramount area of California. We believe (because there traces) that Valley Customs might have sectioned it. It has styling like the Dream Truck but was this a first try at it? or was this a clone attempt? we don't know. The truck was at one time candy lime gold with green metal flake shades or patterns with a full chrome undercarriage with a split dash and old diamond tuck interior. we believe that it was on the show circuit at some point because there is evidence that it was painted several different colors (maybe a new color scheme every year) it was last registered in California in 78. All body was done in lead and is still in good shape.....Please look at Pics and if there is anybody out there that can tell us anything on this truck...please PM me...I would appreciate it, We want to restore it back to original. Thanks... Note: In the last pic, the section cut is down the center of the door like Valley Customs use to do it back in the day...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

I sanded down a small section on the door jamb to check the order of colors of old paint jobs but still kinda hard to tell but this is what i came up with.

Looks to possibly be paint job colors was as follows:

1)turqouise Baby blue
    2)Med blue metalic w/ purple cast purple highlights
    3)red
    4)Burgandy
    5)med blue metalic
    6) pearl yellow w/green/brown ribbon patterns
    7)Lime gold flake w green highlights
    8)gold flake
    9) Pearl white w/wood paneling on sides of bed

NOTE:
    well any info would be great im sure someone out there remembers
    it glassman paul said he put glass in it a couple of times and thought he remembered it being from paramount area.

3. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

Forgot to mention a couple of important facts.

1) The upholstry was sprayed black originally it was WHITE diamond tuck.
    2) this truck over went lots of changes through the 50s-70s so it may have looked different in the 50s this is why i posted the colors so maybe it
    can be identified by 1 or 2 mods and colors.
    3)This truck also has a 440 in it w/push button torque flight trans
    4) It was C framed in the front so it must have been layed out at one point in its life.
    5)Undercarraige was all chromed out.

Well thanks again for all your time and effort Id just like to bring her back to her original form.

4. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

I don't know anything about it,but I sure do like it. Lots of good work done to it. Looks like a late 50's truck. Be interesting to find out the history. Good find. TP

5. hershambob

hershambob

tp,it ses its late 40s not 50s,,ie 1947,,,or did you mean the build date...bob

6. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

It is a 47 Truck and the Dream Truck started life as a 50 and since they came out of the same area and have similarities...I thought someone would know something or maybe have old pics of this truck....C'mon you Bellflower die hards, You guys don't remeber seeing it around?

7. ARCHANGEL

ARCHANGEL

Wow That Truck Is Nice. And I Think That You Conrad Will Probly Have It Looking Better Than Ever Before......:D

Rafa.

8. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Totally cool kustom, but that dash has got to go.

9. Rikster

Rikster

Popular customs article. Scans by Paul Kelly!

Great find!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OLLIN likes this.
  10. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Dam if Rikster ain't the man, I don't know who is.

Spooky likes this.
  11. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

Rickster....You ARE the man bro! Right On! This story will open lots of doors......Thanks Man!

OLLIN likes this.
  12. ARCHANGEL

ARCHANGEL

13. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

What a find -- The truck and the article!

Who owns the truck and when is the magazine from? 1965 or so?

14. Squablow

Squablow

I second that.

15. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

DAMN..!! Rikster you are without a doubt "THE MAN" just to let you know right now i feel like a little kid on Xmas morning all tinglely inside
    Ive owned this truck for years and never found any info on it this is like a dream come true and Id like to say THANK YOU very much for your help and Shortdog for his help WOW..!! Im still Trippn now its time to find more info maybe I can try and find Roy for more answers anyone Know of this person?:D

16. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

Hey Rikster! Is there any way you can find out what issue of Popular Customs Magazine that is so i can try and find it :D
    Thanks!
    Conrad

17. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

So, how did you end up with this truck?
    Tell us the story!

18. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I dig it , what are your plansfor it?
    please tell us how you got it.

Rick again, you are the man!
    BTW, what year is that Popular customs article ?

19. John B

John B

Another example of why the HAMB is the premier traditional forum on the world wide web.

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

It boggles the mind how much info is on this site.

21. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

What a cool truck. I actually like the style of it now better than the original build.
    Its just amazing how someone can ask a hotrod related question that happened 50 years ago and the answer comes up within minutes to days. this site and its people are unbelievable.

22. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

"The Story"
    I went to Long Beach Vetrans stadium Swapmeet one weekend and the truck was on a flatbed tow truck for sale I spoke with the guy selling the truck and was told the truck was allready sold he had taken a deposit on it well i was kinda bumed out so i walked circles around the truck checking it out then walked away. Before leaving the swapmeet I walked back over to the seller and handed him my business card and told him if anything happens and this guy dont buy it call me ill take it. Well about 3 weeks went by when my phone rings and its the tow truck driver he says HEY! YOU STILL WANT THAT TRUCK? I said what truck? he said Oh! this is the guy that was selling the old truck at long beach swap and i said oh! ok yea of course i do what happened to the other guy? he said Well my brother in law wanted the truck so i canceled the sale with the first guy but then I gave him 3 weeks to come up with the $ and never did he wanted me to give him payments and i needed the $ so being how i didnt have the first guys # so i called you, He said so where do you want me to tow it to he said and the rest is history. Ive owned it now for more than 6 years I had a friend of mine modify the hood because I didnt like the way it looked so we clam shelled it and shortened it My plans for it is to research the truck more to find out the exact color it was and bring it back to its original form with the exclusion of the hood ill be trying to locate its original owner for guideance also would like to know who owned it in cali because theres alot of paint jobs after the one in the article it was full flake lime gold with green highlights at one point then gold full flake so it had to have been seen somewhere any help researching this truck would be greatly appreciated. :D
    Thanks!!
    Conrad

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  23. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

Forgot to mention that those bumpers that look like rabbit ears are missing AAAAAHHHH!! :eek: thank god because i dont think ill be duplicating those they look kinda funny any Ideas for bumpers guys?

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Very cool story.. glad to see Rikster hooke dyou up with the info....

Keep up us updated...

25. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

I told Conrad to get it running and bagged and drive it to Paso..(as is)What do you guys think? Any of you guys want to see it up there in it's current state? Lets pump Conrad up to do it!!!

26. Gerg

Gerg

Wow i think i am in love with that truck! Great history on it also!

27. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

What do you guys think should i paint the truck back to the way it was in the article or should i paint it the first color it was painted or should i paint it lime gold flake which at one time it was also painted.
    The color it was in the magazine was a medium blue metalic with a purple cast to it and purple highlights and should i leave one headlight or go back to Quads?

28. Eryk

Eryk

It would be cool if you could go back to quad headlights with a full tube grille.

I'd love to see it in that Gold/Green flake combo you mentioned.

Badass truck!!!! I love it. Drive it to Paso as is so people can see it before you restore it.:)

29. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

Yea! I myself dig the flake thing and definately will be visiting glory grille for a new full tube grille for the front and the rear i think the rear would look nice with one too :D and white tuck n roll or diamond im open for suggestions on that subject but i wish i can get it ready for paso this year but if not ill take it next year for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

30. Shoebomber

Shoebomber
    from Bangor, ME

The power of the HAMB astounds me. Rikster you are like a hot rod god. I was just browsing through and liked what i saw and kept reading then rikster's post popped up and i literrally tweaked. That is probably one of the coolest thing I've seen on here yet...