Register now to get rid of these ads!

morning Anti Errectile Dysfunction material and the MONTHLY BANGER MEETING!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fur biscuit, Apr 2, 2007.

1. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

been very busy with work...as usual, but I have been out driving the speedster a bit. Redbeard and Annika came by and I turned her loose in the T. (I built it for me and it was a stretch for her to reach the pedals) And then they go and get a speedster of their own. So there is another poor set of souls learning to love the "Fliver!"

3. About time Biscuit, its the 2nd already!

4. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i am slacking...sorry. :D

5. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thats what i was thinking....your late!!

ive hooked on to a few stash's of B parts...should have one in a couple days...and 3 more in a few weeks
    i've been attending the Bruce Lancaster Hoarding School....all A's and B's for me! :D

6. Are you talking 'B' engines?!?

7. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

yep! and other 32 parts too! :D

8. Actually the second Banger monthly thread - sure I saw one splutter and die through here yesterday...?

Talking of which - been using the Odeon Shag Cee-dan as a daily. Filling the tank has washed all sorts of doodads and griswalds into the fuel and today successfully blocked the 1" long piece of pipe that some kind soul soldered into the tap to raise the pickup point off the crunchy tank floor. Picked up a few preserved insects in the sediment trap. Still - lovely sunny day to be sitting beside the road cleaning carbs on the running board...

[​IMG]

9. The last month has been a complete nightmare from start to finish.

The engine had to be built twice on the bench and after being put into the car came out another 4 times in 6 days!

First the back of the block got blown apart having being supplied with the wrong rope seals, which were to large. The left side has been broken for years and now I know why. You can't see it in the photo but the right side is cracked almost over its complete length.
    The solution was to strip it down and a trip back to the machinist for the solution you see in the picture.

[​IMG]

A couple of build shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's some pictures with the V8 flywheel fitted. You can see how much further back the ring gear is. Of course this caused clearance issues which involved milling a lip around the inside edge of the aluminium adaptor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the engine in...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having got it running I couldn't get it to engage any gear. This was because I had tried to be clever and use an 'AA' truck clutch disc which is 3/4" bigger than an 'A' one. It wouldn't release because it was hard up against the pressure plate!

Broke the special Bendix for the V8 flywheel. Broke the sliding gear clean in half!
    Managed to cannabalise an original (broken) Bendix for the gear and was back in business.

Had it running nice until I tried to drive it. After eliminating the triples as a possible cause and going back to the tried and tested duals it still ran like a bag of crap.
    To cut a long story short it turned out to be poor leaking manifold gaskets and a bad set of plugs.

After getting it driving and on the road for all of 5 minutes I had what everyone dreads with a rebuilt banger a rear main oil leak and man did it piss out oil like there was no tomorrow!
    So out the engine came yet again. A semi strip down with the removal of the flywheel, bell housing, sump and rear cap revealed nothing out of place. The only problem I could find was the cap sat slightly high on one corner. I found nothing holding it off sitting flush so used a liberal dose of sealer and so far its holding out.

Since finishing all this yesterday I haven't stopped driving the wheels off it as it hasn't been together for over 6 months.

[​IMG]

10. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

so hows she run???
    any video of it?
    I'd love to hear it

11. Gonna try to get some video tomorrow.

Runs great so far. The power band is well up the rev which is to be expected because of the cam. Don't think I've really got into it yet. I keep short shifting because I'm petrified of over revving it while its running in.

12. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Well done, Clark. It looks insane with the triples on it, are they back on or are you leaving the duals on for now?
    Curious about the cam....have you got a rev counter fitted? Do you know how far up the rev range the power has shifted? I'd hummed and arr'd about a 1A myself.
    Shitter about the rear main...hope it stays dry for you.

Mine is now THIS close to being finished, but it not going to move much further on this week or next, as I'm off to VLV on Thursday.
    I got my engine running earlier in the month after six months apart - always a nice feeling - and the Volvo trans and clutch feel 'okay' if a little stiff.
    I've mounted my rear wishbones (now split), which needed a new x-member to be fab'd, and I'm just working on a torque arm to compensate for the lack of torque tube. I'm hoping to be back on the road by the end of the month, but my 3 month old son insists that I tickle his belly at every opportunity!

13. Thanks alot.

Its running on the duals at the moment but I will get back to the triples in time.
    Still no rev counter. I've got the counter and the drive but I can't physically fit the drive as it clashes with the front crossmember!
    Need a rethink with that one.

When the rear main was leaking I was going to pretend it wasn't happening. Then I had all the images of yourself running nappies and being chucked out the fire up road and I thought thats no way to live your life!

14. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

I feel guilty hearing all this work going on from month to month. I haven't done a thing to mine apart from check the relevant fluids, getting a fresh MOT and going for a spin on Sunday just gone with some fellow Sidewinders. Mines the one on the left for those that don't know.

[​IMG]

15. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Be gentle on me boys...for I have lunged into the banger world with this strange A/B mix of B exterior and A block bastard of a driveline. I am new at this half a V8 stuff, but cant seem to get enough info on these great mills. I pulled the B head to find the cylinder walls in nice condition and a set of 40 over pistons. The bottom end is in great shape as well.

I find my self dreaming of building a roadster or speedster around this bastard setup. So I will be watching and learning from the meeting of the bangers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Inside shot

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  17. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

You ain't kiddin', Clark. I've only fired mine up for a minute or so at the moment, so I don't know whether all the work I did on my rear main (and sorting out the excessive end float) will keep it dry. It was getting ridiculous. I was having to change the clutch every 9-12 months because of oil saturation.

Cool pic, Neil. Got any more of Marc's T?

Hey Levis, those bores look pretty good from there. A good base for a healthy banger, I reckon.

18. Gave the car its first proper run last night to work and back and have now got a long list of stuff to sort.

I'm losing oil from the two front main studs almost as bad as it was from the rear main. The oil seems to be traveling up the studs?!?

The car is all over the road and very twichy due to the crap repro 'A' shocks that are on it. I'll be going over to the MGB shocks that worked really well on the Coupe.

Got a nice wobble at about 60 which I can drive through which must be a out of balance wheel.

The top keeps coming loose in the corners.

Finally the hub caps rattle in the wheels like a bag of nails in a washing machine!

19. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

to much pressure in the crank case? maybe a breather may be in order?

20. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

clark,
    mine leakes out of there too
    i was worried that the block was cracked as i found some gasket sealer around the area...but it appears to just be coming out around the studs
    i think maybe its due to the higher oil pressure
    i assume yours is up there pretty good with all you have done to it...

as for your handling...mines got the same "twitchiness"
    i've been wondering if the fact that the motors are on the stock yoke spring set-up in the front and then the rubber at the bell houseing...if its not letting the back of the wishbone push the motor around on the rubber and cause a missalignment of the front end?
    my dropped axles flexes too so that may be my biggest problem to get rid of...just a thought though

i also have problems with my top staying tight above 65-70...it really gets flapping and starts popping buttons loose
    i guess thats why roadsters should be topless....just like other things in life :D

21. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Must admit, I put sealer inside the bolt holes and around the nut when fitting the mains bolts. It's a known thing for oil to travel up them. I've seen it mentioned in FAST once or twice. I'd prolly use the same sealer on the inside of the hubcaps to stop 'em rattling!

You not running the Blockleys any more?

22. The previous spec of the engine didn't leak from the studs but.... It did have rubber 'O' rings clamped between the block and main cap.
    Guess what, I didn't replace them!
    Its wierd that it only comes from the front ones. The middle one is bone dry. I wonder if its an oil trap around the front ones because of the close proximity of the cap to the sump? I know that the billet steel cap I've now fitted is almost flat against the sump, which was cause an even greater trap to the oil.

My old Coupe was completely stock and ran straight as a die. That was on wobbly 19's. Had the ride transformed after I got the wheels balanced after 3 years!
    The coupe was running MGB shocks though.

The roadster is identical but is running the repro shocks which have no resistance to them what so ever and has leaves removed from the springs which should make for a better ride.
    When you go over a yump in the road you can feel the car rocking backwards and forwards on the springs. A sure sign of poor damping.

23. No, even though I love the Blockleys they just didn't suit the car in 16 inch. Too short and fat. The bigger sizes work well because they are designed for vintage cars wethers the 16's are for 50's racers like Ferraris, Jag 'D' Type's, Aston DB4's and the like.

24. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I'll have to look into mine...they're 37+ shocks....maybe they're shot...
    like everything else on the car!

the gasket sealer must be a 4 banger fix-er-up-er as my car has it EVERYWHERE

25. Hoefully this should be a quick video.

This is my first go at video so forgive the poor quality.

26. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

sounds good clark
    sure rev's quick...how much weight did you save on the rotating mass?
    is it mostly off the flywheel?

27. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

LOL...those straight cut gears sound great!

BTW...don't agree about the Blockleys. I thought it looked well 'ard.

28. I think the rods were slightly lighter but the pistons are heavier. So that pretty much balances out.

The biggest gain is in the flywheel. I have gone from a 30 odd pound cut down 'B' to a 11 pound aluminium V8.

Starts eaiser without the starter having to get that big weight moving and when you stop it it stops dead, no run on.

29. I know!

Saw Ian and Chris on the weekend.
    They heard me before they saw me and assumed it was the quickie or a blower!

Why don't you post your video?

30. SUHRsc

SUHRsc