Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 packard wagon...suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oddrodgarage, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Just picked up this all original 57 packard wagon...289 studie...still has the supercharger bracket and plenum...just missing the supercharger.

Looking for some creative input from my fellow h.a.m.b.ers out there...stance/colors/wheels, etc...so far my idea is aztec gold with white two tone and metallic gold and white tuck and roll with sombreros and maybe a bag system or a 3 inch drop...

Attached Files:

2. Shane T.

Shane T.

Aztec gold bottom white pear flaked top. pEarl white/gold metallic inside. Slammed however lakes pipes and buick or thunderbird wires.
    And since this is tech week I would read the how to subframe a car thread and slam that thing and add disc brakes in one felt swoop. My buddy is getting ready to whack the factory front off of his 57 and pit a narrowed camaro stub under it. Food for thought.

3. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

I wouldn't ruin it too much, it's a beautiful and rare car.

4. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Personally, I'd leave it pretty much original, change the stance a bit maybe drop it a couple of inches. Rear skirts would look good. But, honestly, it really looks a mess and you should sell it to me.

5. I think your color choices would look VERY cool. Im at a loss for what rims/tires would look good. Maybe just the early Caddy hubcaps?

6. It is a mess...I think I'll just donate it to one of those charities so some priest can cruise around with half a dozen altar boys in tow...on second thought I better keep it (of course everything is for sale)

7. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

That car is super rare. Most had the 352 in them. Does it have the torsion bars on all 4 corners?

8. too KOOL!...I'd lose the center bar in the grill...make them bullets look like Marilyn Monroe with a smile

9. MilesM

MilesM

Does anyone repop the tail light lenses?

10. Looks kinda like one of those Russian cars...............:rolleyes:

11. It has the 289 in it...repop lenses are available as well as housings...can't find the link but I googled it when I picked up the car and found some...mine are good so I didn't keep the link...will post when I find it again...the thing also has a factory posi rear and a wonderbar radio...here's the killer part...drove it home...that's right drove it home for 1800...

12. rixrex

rixrex

(might already know this) in 58 when Packard gave it up, most of the tooling went to ZIL in Russia..ZIL cars looked like Packards on in to the 80s..used to get a funky newsletter from guys with Eastern European cars, would love to have a ZIL cruiser...

13. 53burb

53burb

From one fellow wagon owner to another, I think what you said that you are going to do to it, I agree. The 2 tone, slam it with bags. For the wheels, I would go for stock steelies and put some spider caps on it and then call it a day! KNUX!

14. rixrex

rixrex

drove it home for 1800? I am sooo jealous..tailights are leftover 56 Packard, NightProwlers makes them?? let us know..I have 352 engine stuff and a fresh Ultramatic FYI..also have three-speed on the column w/overdrive stuff which is cooler and better than slushy Ultramatic..Rick

15. might be interested...sent you a pm

16. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

Put the blower back on:

http://vs57.com

paint it a large flake poly gold on the bottom, white poly top with an accent stripe following the body line. Add the biggest bias ply WWW's that will fit, hang a set of Lancer 4 bars caps on it, and drop it *just* enough for folks to realize it's been dropped - but don't put it in the weeds. Repeat the color scheme inside the car for continuity.

Man, I love longroofs. that's really sweet!~

17. brainfrz

brainfrz

Cool. I'd love to see that in person. Congrats on the score.

Jon

18. roadracer

roadracer

Ditto - just drove my wife's new wagon home for 2000. :)

Wagons rock - mines already booked in for large flake two tone, www are on their way from diamondback, warming up the grinder on the coils very soon...

19. roadracer what kind of wagon did ya get...I do love those longroofs...already have a 54 two door plymouth but just couldn't pass up the deal on the packard

20. roadracer

roadracer

21. Checked it out...looks sweet...what did ya decide to do with color scheme...I'm thinkin' astro supremes with a deep flake body...maybe killer lime green or purple with silver flake roof...matching interior...tunes blasting cruisin the ATL on a balmy summer night...man I can taste the root beer and chili dogs now...have run

22. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Packard made 4,809 cars in 57' of which 869 were wagons. In 1958 they made 2,622 of which 159 were wagons. We used to call them Packardbakers. I had a 57 2dr 289 without supercharger.

23. I wonder how many are left?

24. LOCO_LOUIE

LOCO_LOUIE
    from Ontario,Ca

nice lotta potential slam it.

25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Some ideas for the power plant. This one is going to the salt.

Attached Files:

26. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Been reading about that motor on landracing.com & waiting to see it. Thats way cool and so is the ulra rare wagon. Doesnt the wagon use the Studebaker motor , I thought yours was a 352 type Packard engine?

27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yes the wagon would have a Studebaker engine. Packard only made V8s in '55 and '56. 320-352-374 cubic inch versions. This engine is going in a Vega, but it could go in a Stude. The factory did it in '56.

28. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

My high school auto shop teacher had one with the big Packard engine in a 56. Everyone keeps telling me it was a Studebaker engine, but I knew it was a Packard. That doesnt fit in any kind of vintage class does it? The way the block & heads are painted it looks like its aluminum. Tell me thats paint! Cant wait to see it run, will you make this year? Sorry to hijack the post, Im just fired up. How big, what class?

29. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I forgot, it was a 56 Golden Hawk with I think a 352 Packard engine, is that right? Its been a long time ago.

30. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yes your teacher had a '56 Golden hawk with a 352 Packard motor. Iron and seriously heavy. I am planing to be at WOS in Sept. Running in C/Classic Gas Altered. Its a .030 over 352=363 CID. Car has gone 208 with Pontiac power and I have held the X0/BGAlt record with it since 1980.