Register now to get rid of these ads!

One straight pipe and one glasspack?, on a 6 cyl?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasser52, Mar 13, 2007.

1. gasser52

gasser52
    BANNED

I have read on here several times that for the perfect exhaust note on a 6 cyl engine you must run duals with one straight pipe and one glasspack. Wouldnt this cause unequal pressure? or does this not sound good? i plan on doing the exahust on my 54 chevys 235 in the future and need to know.

2. rustypipes

rustypipes
    from san jose

Ive heard a lot of old timers talk about the one pack and one straight pipe, Just go with both straight pipes. Thats the way I run my 6 all the way out the back small diameter pipe with Fentons, craziest rap ever, 2 straight pipes sound the best IMO

3. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

Ive seen it. In my opinion it doesnt sound as good as a regual split exhaust manifold and 1.5" pipes all the way back. dont forget the pencil tips.
    I love 6's. Nothing raps better.

4. Yes, you will have uneven pressure. But it won't hurt your exhaust valves, if that's your concern. And the pulse is a big part of the cool tone. IMO, just straights sound like a piece of farm equipment. Or like a car with broken exhaust. But, done right, split exhaust manifold with a Glaspac and a straight has the Old Stylie snarl and crackle that the Bombas have perfected.

5. g-lover51

g-lover51
    from Dallas Ga

Okay here it goes, I have a split header on my 51 Chevy with a 216. I am running dual flow masters and the sound is great IMO. I have always had good compliments on it and it still has that great 6 cyl rap to it. I know its not the normal way to do it but I like it.

6. HotRodKitten

HotRodKitten

I definately crushed my exhaust driving in all-terrain road construction not meant for lowered vehicles, so my husband made a quick fix just running a straight pipe on my 6 cyl 57 Chevy. Doesn't sound as bad as we thought it would, two pipes would sound (ha! and look!)much better.

7. westcoaster

westcoaster
    from SoCal

do you use an X or H pipe at all with either configuration or keep the two pipes seperate altogether?

8. cruisinkruty

cruisinkruty

Get 2 cherrybomb glass packs,one short and one long...the tone and rap is awesome! And it does not sound like a tractor with no muffler!

9. I have to agree. One of the original members of the Twisters car Club from La Habra taught me years ago go with 1.5 ", one 6" and one straight. Best sound you could imagine

10. jchav62

jchav62

I've seen old guys who split their manifolds and run 1 1/2" pipe out the back with one glass pack and one straight pipe and they sound bitchin'. My cousin has a 51 Chevy truck with a 216, he's running Fenton headers, 1 1/2" pipe and two 12" glasspacks on it...It sounds just as awesome....I love the sound of those ol' skool bombas...

11. gasser52

gasser52
    BANNED

well i have a header on my 223 ford and it looks like theres mixed emotions on here, i already have two glasspacks, and i am deciding to go with just one, or no glasspacks.

12. dadseh

dadseh

So whos runnin the old school cast manifold cut and welded?
    It was 2 cylinders on the front pipe and four on the original rear outlet, cant remember which one got the straight thru pipe treatment and the other the glasspack though.

13. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i had a 53 chevy with 235 and split manifolds and 1 1/2" straight pipes,,,,,best sounding car i ever had,,,,really had that "crackle"when downshifting,,,

it sounded so good, im tempted to run straight pipes on my 60 el camino (283),,anyone know if straight pipes would sound as good on a V8? if not, what setup would sound the best?

14. gasser52

gasser52
    BANNED

i unbolted my exhaust from the headers today and tied them outta the way of the header. i know this cant be good for the valves but it sounds sooo cool.

15. Rivet

Rivet

I had one smithy on one pipe with the stock manifold on my chevy's I6 and it was WAY too quiet, but it had a nice sound to it. I would hand's down say to go with the dual setup.

16. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

do the dudes with the O.G. lowrider BOMBAS,
    ... run the duals over the rear axle or under it?

17. Rivet

Rivet

Its all about the under the axle pipe, f the over the axle pipe :D.

18. OLLIN

OLLIN

One straight pipe and one glasspack?, on a 6 cyl?

YES! The best of both worlds.. several of my buddies have done this in the past and it always sounds good.

19. mikey1610

mikey1610
    from San Diego

My manifold is cut and welded and I'm runnin one straight and one cherrybomb! Sounds so good I took my stereo out!:D

20. bobsled

bobsled
    from Tacoma

I said f it... ran dual straights out the rear of the front fenders.. cast manifold rewelded.. had to do some hole saw's through the fenders but its loud.. and sounds like a bomber downshiften! Even a little flame!

21. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

the 235 in my 47 Chevy had duals with one glass pack and one turbo muffler. it never occured to me that it may have been done on purpose. i replaced both with new Cherrybombs but it's all been ripped out for the Nailhead transplant.

22. studhud

studhud

Well I got a 48 poncho Pretty much a "Bomb" I split the stock manifold then ran one straight pipe and one blue streak muffler the shortest one I could get. It definatly has a killer sound. The engine doesnt have un equal back pressure as the blue streak is a straight through muffler "not baffled".Some body else asked if ol skool bombs ran the pipes over or under the the rear end my 2 cents is over as under kinda sucks to change tires ect. The reason it sounds good to me is the different tones from each side blend to make a really cool sound it has a deep tone from the glass pack side and a really rappy "if thats a word" side. Check out this web site www.stylekings.cc They pretty much all run one straight and one glasspack. LTR Dave

23. bloodandwhisky

bloodandwhisky
    from DFW Texas

This may be off topic. What should i run in a 63 t-bird that would sound cool? its a 390FE engine, running a standard muffler and sounds like crap.

24. bloodandwhisky

bloodandwhisky
    from DFW Texas

25. 66straight6

66straight6

hey guys, have a question. what setup would be best for a 200ci straight 6 66mustang. glasspacks? pipe size? straight pipe? 18" on one size and 22" on the other? and Im going to weld on another flange on the exhaust manifold and run another pipe. I have a straight pipe and it sounds like shit.:(

26. vein

vein

66straight6 you should do an intro first. read the rules before posting.

27. And stop digging up 4 year old posts.

28. SlickRick83

SlickRick83
    from merced

On my '54 235 I have the stock manifold split and blocked. The pipes are 2" straight pipes all the way out the back. No X or H pipe. I think this gives it the best sound, especially with a manual trans.

29. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha at least he did a search!!

30. True!!