Register now to get rid of these ads!

35 3W build off

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chrisp, Feb 20, 2007.

1. chrisp

chrisp

Just wanted to share with you the pics of a 35 3W that I'm rebuilding for a customer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The car was in such a bad shape : rust, bad repairs and one of the worst chop I've ever seen, but it was a driver all the drivetrain had been restored, the owner drove the car to the shop which is pretty scary since there were only 2 bolts holding the body to the frame.
    [​IMG]
    Most of the inner structure was gone. The more I was digging the scarier it was getting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So I found a '36 2 door sedan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Set it on the 35 frame and fired up the sawsall
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More surprises
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Since the top of the coupe was rusted through too I decided to use the sedan one.
    [​IMG]
    The top is chopped 4" in front, 5-3/4" in the rear, the back window and B posts are laid foreward
    [​IMG]
    I'm also rebuilding the inner structure of the car using the sedan parts and some fab'ed ones, the long brace is just there to check it's fit, I will fill the roof before welding it in in it's correct location..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last mod for now is the rear that I'm extending 4-1/4"
    [​IMG]

2. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Man that is a lot of work. You are not fixing it you are building a new car!! Really great thinking using the sedan body parts. Great job!! How may hours do you have in it?

Rex

3. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I know that shop...Tell Troy he smells funny...

4. chrisp

chrisp

I have around 150 h in the build that includes the subrails and the floor braces. There are some other stuff I did for this car that's not on the pics.
    Evel I'd like to answer to that but he is probably reading and he is my boss:D

5. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I was just going to say Hollywood Hotrods, in Burbank

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man I got scared at first, thems some UGLY welds there!!
    Your work looks superb, love the style!
    Doc.

7. AllSteel34

AllSteel34

What a shame somebody butchered this car like this way back when. It looks like you're doing a really nice job of bringing her back, though. Nice work! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Chris

8. Love these cars. Always wondered what one´d look like with a `35 truck grille.

Great work, keep us updated.

JD

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That's going to be neat piece especially using that 33 grille!! YEAH!

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

Excellent job!!!! keep up the post with new pics!!!

11. chrisp

chrisp

Unfortunatly it was done around a year ago by a guy who never chopped a car before, I heard that he was proud of what he did, sad to see that there are still people fucking up cars like that.

12. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Well it looks like you have got it going in the right direction. My welding abilities sux, but I not that bad unless I am drunk.

13. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

What the hell, those chop top welds look like grape clusters, what was he thinking?.......thanks for saving an awesome car my friend.

14. metalman

metalman

what a car to learn how to chop on. Gave me a start when I saw the first pic, glad I scrolled on down and saw you were savin and not doin'. Looks like your doing a good job savin the old girl. I'd hope you post pics when it's done.

15. john56h

john56h

I've got a couple of sections of roof for a car like this, if anyone in the NY area is in need of some material to stretch a chopped roof.

16. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I'm not sure what he is doing is really called saving. He is building a nice coupe out of a sedan.....not much of the molested coupe is being saved.

Nice job on the fab work.

17. gerrald meacham

gerrald meacham

do u need a job? im hiring

18. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Nothing like getting some elses' headache huh?

19. the-rodster

the-rodster

WOW!

That's quite an undertaking, but it does look good so far.

Keep us posted.

Rich

20. 2manybillz

2manybillz

Great looking job, I gotta say, I find your shop almost as fascinating as the build. Love the portholes.

21. chrisp

chrisp

Georgia is quite far, plus I'm expensive:D
    Like Flipper says, it's not really saving the coupe(more like saving the mental health of the customer) At first I was going to save the coupe with a lot of fabrication, but when I came accross the $1000 sedan I new it was going to save a lot of money to the customer. So I'm just using some really important shapes (plus all the measurements) of the coupe, on the extra side I can build a car even more extreme than if I used the coupe body, that makes the guy even happier.
    Thanks to all for the kind words.

22. chrisp

chrisp

No need to open a new thread, here's what I did to it lately
    Suicide door (only one for now)
    [​IMG]
    And fabrication of the door post (almost done)
    [​IMG]
    I like this picture because it shows in the background a sedan door, the original 3W post skin (chopped 3"though) set on the door and what I made
    [​IMG]
    I couldn't use the 3W rear post skin and here's why
    [​IMG]
    Useless, so I used the front post skin which is not fat enough on a modified rear frame.
    All the floors minus tunnel are in too.

23. Janne

Janne

Thanks for the pics!

Keep them going.

24. tattooedup37

tattooedup37

Awesome work man. I would hate to see this guys labor bill.. hahahaha. The tail looks good extended. Makes the proportions look a little better IMO

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Man that's impressive work! Guess this will jack up the value of Tudor bodies. Keep the photos coming.

26. Nice work. I hope the suicide door will clear the front fender. Thats if its gonna have fenders...

27. metalman

metalman

I'd say your savin compared to the guy that started cutting it up, he was going the wrong way. I understand why your using the sedan, the coupe body could of been saved (ANYTHING can be saved!), it's a matter of economics. Personally I think your doing a great job.

28. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

Thats going to be an expensive 35 when it's all done. Whats you labor rate? At $100. thats $15000.00 already. Thats a good customer. Good luck with the car it looks good so far. Scott

29. chrisp

chrisp

As I said I was going to save the coupe at first, but the sedan was too good to pass and it allows me to play more, get it more radical than it was going to be

We're not so expensive (I think it's 72), but it sure gonna be an expansive build. Anyway anything you pay somebody else to do ends up being expensive.

30. metalman

metalman

Judging by the work your doing I have no dought you could of saved the coupe, that was my point.