Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 02-18-2007, 08:30 AM   #1
Ayers Garage

Question How do I flush out my heater core?

I'm working on my Falcon this morning trying to get the heater working. I figured out that it's stopped up internally. One hose stays hot and the other stays cold.

I removed the core from the car and it was completely plugged up. By flushing water back and forth, I got it to flow a bit of water, but I think it's still plugged up a good bit.

Now, the question, with the core removed from the car, is there some kind of solvent I can run through it to loosen the sludge inside it? It's Sunday or I'd just take it to a radiator shop. I want to fix it today.

Regards,
Kevin
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:57 AM   #2
rodknocker

Default Re: How do I flush out my heater core?

have you priced out a new one, if you already have it out.I'd try some oven cleaner and small blasts of air, really small so that you don't blow out the core, you just want to create an internal "shaking effect.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:01 AM   #3
butchr
FNG

white viniger. let it sit couple hours. then run water n air thru it.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-18-2007, 09:02 AM   #4
cruisinkruty
Grenade Inspector

Go to the hardware store and get CLR or any other limeaway product. Fill up the heater core with the recommeded solution let set a bit and flush as you have been. Trouble is sometimes if the core is weak it will create leaks,but it will be clean! I have done this numerous times on filthy clogged up cores and got them flowing great again
Old 02-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #5
F.O.G
Grenade Inspector

Talking Re: How do I flush out my heater core?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinkruty View Post
Go to the hardware store and get CLR or any other limeaway product. Fill up the heater core with the recommeded solution let set a bit and flush as you have been. Trouble is sometimes if the core is weak it will create leaks,but it will be clean! I have done this numerous times on filthy clogged up cores and got them flowing great again
Get whatever brand of cooling system flush the local parts house sells and dilute it 50/50 with water; heat solution in suitable container
in microwave (when wife is gone) and pour into heater core until full, let sit until cool and BACKFLUSH. You're in bidness.