Register now to get rid of these ads!

Private Collection - pixs - Off Topic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by msuguydon, Feb 17, 2007.

1. msuguydon

msuguydon

I know this is a bit Off Topic but it is car related.

This morning I had the very unique experience of being able to see a about 1/3 of the private car collection of Don Smith.

This collection is rumored to be the premier open wheel and Indy 500 memorbellia collection. On the Indy 500 front his collection maybe 2nd to the actual museum at the Track, but I am not so sure. I am not a Indy 500 kinda guy so I am sure I did not appreciate many of the items I saw today but never the less it was an amazing morning.

A tad bit of background, Don is 80 years old, he was the promoter of the Terre Haute, Action Track when it was in its hay day, and for 10 years with his partner Chapman Root. Owned the SUMAR race team that campaigned Indy Style Race cars, Mid 50'3 to early 60's.

I was only able to see 3 of the 5 or more buildings he has. This was the second time anyone outside his family or close friends have ever seen the collection.

Here is a taste of what I saw.

Hope you guys enjoy !

Building Number 1

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jonodeck likes this.
  2. msuguydon

msuguydon

3. msuguydon

msuguydon

Don's other Hobby is Hunting and Fishing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just Stuff

[​IMG]

4. msuguydon

msuguydon

5. heavytlc

heavytlc

WOW! I would never have to leave home, I could find something new to look at every day. I would like to go there to ride the rides, kind of like Disneyland.

Thank you.

6. msuguydon

msuguydon

I was not sure how the board would react, I have more pictures. I will post some more. If I get out of hand, just tell me to stop.

7. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

The day a post like this is off-topic...

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I guess he has a crew of polishers and dusters working day and night keeping that stuff up.
    What a wonderful collection. Too bad it hasn't been shown before and sadly, when he leaves us, it will either be locked up tight or parted out. It is a shame that most, if not all, automotive museums, which this actually is, cannot be profitable and come and go like the tide.

9. Eryk

Eryk

That's alot of stuff.

I wonder who's job it is to clean it. Don probably has somebody on payroll just to dust.

Edit: whoops...looks like my question was answered.

10. msuguydon

msuguydon

Building Two
    All of the buildings have these large garage doors. The fronts are painted with these murals, I was told that the artist took approx 350 hrs to paint each door.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The back side of the doors, inside, are covered with snap shot pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. msuguydon

msuguydon

Don is in the process of building Museum in downtown Terre Haute, where some of this will be displayed. I think it will open this summer.

12. msuguydon

msuguydon

13. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Nothin' off topic about any of those pics. I love the way he has family photos all mixed in with the other stuff. I like his style.

Doc.

14. msuguydon

msuguydon

Building Two - continued

I laughed when I saw this go-cart collection, in racks with car covers!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Rat L. Can

Rat L. Can
    from Indy

Is the Watson roadster in the 2nd pic one AJ Waton's Alfa Romeo motored "continuations" he built a few years ago?

16. Very On-Topic. Thank you for sharing.

17. Darren M.

Darren M.

Not to ask for the exact address but.... Where is this place? I lived in Indy for 10 years and never even heard of a place like this....
    Thanks for posting! I sure do miss Indy.

<------ 500 guy. :D

On the edit: I would imagine somewhere in Terre Haute, but what side?

18. msuguydon

msuguydon

Well the cars don't have red wheels or a lot of pinstriping, so I was just unsure :D

19. msuguydon

msuguydon

I am sure you have never heard of it, only been open to the public Once, and we were the 2nd group that went through that was not family or close friends.

In the middle of several corn fields, next to a bean field, just down the road a piece from a dairy farm, near Terre Haute, IN. Closest thing on the map would be a town called Riley.

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

More more more......

21. msuguydon

msuguydon

Okay, our tour continues.

Have you noticed the names on the sides of the race cars? These are not our average, run of the mill, sprint cars.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Building 3 - Newer Stuff

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Darren M.

Darren M.

LOL. I know Riley. (Don't ask me how, I don't remember her name but she was worth the drive.:D)

Awesome collection. I agree, it rivals The Track Museum at the track.

23. msuguydon

msuguydon

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Okay, our tour continues
    [​IMG]

24. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Wow...I am at a loss for words!!

25. msuguydon

msuguydon

The Hits Just keep Coming!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They updated the garages in Gasoline Alley at Indy a few years back. Don bought some of the doors, these are the real doors from Gasoline Alley.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i tell you what guys places like that send chills up my spine,down my legs around,well you get it. cool shots. kinda makes you wonder how many more are stuck out there hidden don't it:confused:

27. msuguydon

msuguydon

28. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

It looks to me like you saw a lot more than you would see at the Indy Track museum. I hope it is true that he opens a museum in the next year or so, also, I hope it is a big building.
    There is a car museum at Rolla, Mo. that is pretty big with something like 6 or so different levels. Well worth the price of admission.

29. After seeing all that, I'm just gonna throw my shit away...

30. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

It looks to me like you saw a lot more than you would see at the Indy Track museum. I hope it is true that he opens a museum in the next year or so, also, I hope it is a big building.
    There is a car museum at Rolla, Mo. that is pretty big with something like 6 or so different levels. Well worth the price of admission.
    Another private museum that most anyone who likes cars would love is Speedy Bill Smiths' Museum at Lincoln, Nebraska,AKA Speedway Motors. I don't know, Speedy Bill might be beat on this one! As big as both these guys are, I'm sure they know each other and probably have done some trading.