Register now to get rid of these ads!

'34 Plymouth RPU Update - Motor Mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richard D, Feb 16, 2007.

1. I got the idea from this thread, including part numbers. Thanks, Wyatt!-
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143120&&showall=1

Making templates-the funnest part of this project was emptying the box...
    [​IMG]
    I used the Metal Devil blade to cut the steel.
    [​IMG]
    A little trick I use is to spray a light coat of paint on the bare steel, lay the pattern on it, then spray a contrasting color over it. I usually cut a little bigger, and grind back to shape.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mounting tabs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are the rear control arms, but I built the motor mounts the same way. I just didn't take pictures. Control arm link-
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156812
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The tabs are 3/16", welded to a 2"x4" piece of 3/16", which was then welded to the framerail. I did the rest pretty much the same as the TECH Archive thread, here's the results.
    [​IMG]
    9/16" grade 8 bolt, ought to be strong enough.
    Next time, trans mount.

2. very cool.. very simple.. nice job.. what did you bush the mount with?

3. mind if is steel this idea too, haha.. :)

I tell ya.. i'm not crazy about the solid mounts in my t. the mild vibration gets to ya at idle sometimes... plus i had to replace alot of my nuts with nyloc's :)

4. Wyatt tells me the urethane bushings work great. Here's a few more photos. The lightweight P-Ayr mock-up engine REALLY came in handy here! I would never try another project like this without one again. Definitely worth every penny. Your back and all ten fingers will thank you.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Brad S.

Brad S.

Is this heap gonna be done by Roundup?

:D

Looking good.

6. Alas, it is not to be. Pistons and Paint, more likely. Everything takes about two or three times longer than I think it will. Damn those Overhaulin' guys! I thought I'd be able to build this thing in a week!:D

7. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

8. manicmechanic

manicmechanic

Richard, Is that some type of homemade front cross member? Do you have any details on it?

9. Cen-Pen Speedshop "Traditional Air" crossmember, the front Model A leaf spring is replaced with two stainless bars, and small airbags are hidden in the crossmember. Very nice parts, but John Worm is very slow and nearly impossible to get in touch with. 717-469-9676 if you want to try.

10. manicmechanic

manicmechanic

Thanks... I'll give him a call.

11. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Yeah thats my tech, glad Richard used it. Its good stuff, and easy to do, and most of all looks clean as hell.

As for the part number: Energy Suspension Bushing # 3.2124G (This is a 1973-1987 Chevy pickup rear leaf spring eye bushing, appox. $3.50 for a set of two)

12. houtex63

houtex63
    from houston

13. I do like that I think I gonna steal the idea to I was thinking about running solid mounts but, that looks trick

14. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

You're not quite the dope I first took you for, nice.

15. Jen......

Jen......

very nice work

Jen