Register now to get rid of these ads!

General question about Hilborn Injection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by famous59, Feb 2, 2007.

1. famous59

famous59
    from dallas, tx

I have been told that the myth is that the Hilborn Injection set ups are only good or either at idle or wide open. Is that true. I was thinking about placing one on my Model T to of course do a majority of my drving in the city. Bad Idea or leave it for the ?

2. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Mostly it's a bad Idea.
    It can be done but the results vary wildly comensurate with experience and ingenuity.
    It's been covered to death here.Do a search for Hilborn.

3. I have run Crower calliope injectors on the street. As pointed out, it takes a lot of patience & effort, & a fairly conservative cam. A wide lobe separation angle helps. Humidity changes play hell with the setup.

The best way to do this is to convert them to EFI. Hilborn & BDS can both do it. You get all the benefits of EFI, the looks (mostly) of the vintage injection, except for the ugly injector bodies, & they can be made to work very,very well. It will not be cheap.

4. Blown 61

Blown 61

Dont hack up a hilborn for efi, just put a carb on it or an oem efi, just dont kill a nice mechanical fuel injector.

5. MECHANICAL Hilborns can be made to run on the street, but it isn't easy, and they aren't usually fully driveable with no troubles, they can be made to run on the street with effort though.

EFI conversions can be done without "hacking". Haha (Makes me wonder about some of you "traditional" guys ;) )
    Even the injectors can be made very hard to see, and most of the EFI stuff can be hidden.

Here's mine, take a look for the EFI stuff....
    :confused:

[​IMG]

6. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I talked with the friendly people at Hilborn a couple months back. It really comes down to how much street drivin' you want to do. You could drive it on the street but if you want to do a lot of cruisin' you probably wouldn't like it. The message that came across though, if you have a useable mechanical FI setup, you are better off to sell it and buy a new EFI than to convert the old one.