Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT - Auto Union 'Silver Arrow' in NYC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boa, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Boa

Boa
    from NYC

2. The price is rumored to go at 15 mil........lets go Powerball!

3. whitewallslick

whitewallslick
    1. oHIo

Off topic?! Hell no, that's a hotrod ...

4. Hot Rod is damn straight! I was standing with my back turned to one of those when they were out here at Laguna Seca for the historic races, well they fired that thing up and I about jumped out of my skin. I am told I looked pretty damn funny...you should see if you can get them to fire it up for you as the sound is just beautiful, those cars can MOVE and had I the money I'd buy that thing and take it straight out to the salt and see what it could do.....

5. V16 & Supercharged....Awesome cars, saw them run up the hill at Goodwood several years ago....They really do sound amazing.

6. A Youtube vid of it was posted a while back. The sound is chilling.............

7. Doesn't belong on the salt, it belongs on the 'Ring, but I smell what you're steppin' in. Simply gorgeous.

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Please do, and please post the photos.

9. Yes, the Auto Unions are probably the most visually and audibly impressive machines of all time. Many of you may know that the Auto Union was originally made up of German car makers Audi, DKW, Horch and Wanderer (hence, the four circle logo). Dr. Ferdinand Porsche designed the earlier models; but, later was forced out of the operation. Hans Stuck, one of the original drivers complained about the handling of the first example. But, at the hands of Tazio Nuvolari and , later, Bern Rosemeyer, the later developed cars were virtually unbeatable. Only Mercedes (who apparently received more support from the Nazi Government), and, occasionally, Alfa Romeo could keep up with the Auto Unions. Eighteen of the cars were sequestered in Saxony (East Germany), on the Horch factory premises during World War II. The Russians, when they overran East Germany, seized the cars and sent them back to the Soviet Union. Most of them didn't survive. Those that did have been restored to their original splendor. If you ever have a chance to see them, and hear them; do so. It's an incredibly experience. If you're looking to buy one (HAH!), Caveat Emptor! I've heard that one of the restorers, when working on the original, made a replica. The source told me that they sent the replica back to the owner, and kept the original. So, study the welds. But, of course, some of the restorers are so good, they can replicate the old welding.
    "Old Dawg"

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I had never heard of "Auto Unions" before. Thanks for sharing the info.

11. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I might have missed this in the post but where is it being auctioned at?
    Thanks!

12. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

I was fortunate enough to be pited close to this at Goodwood speed festival in 2000 as we were doin runs with our pro stock there. I stood behind it when Hans Stuck warmed it up and it was a !"#"#¤& dream.The rev counter was a very large thing and it moved with a very majesyic movements, slow and steady. And the sound, my oh my. You can probably find a DVD with it on www.goodwood.co.uk. I bought one but lost it...

13. Hans was wearing his Fathers racing gloves while driving the car, & had his helmet on display in the pits too, 1st time the gloves had been in the car in almost 50 years..... :rolleyes:

It was in Hillclimb trim (twin rear wheels) that weekend, and still managed a 200+ foot long rolling burnout....downhill....from 30mph or so.... :eek:

Did it right by me & my mate, we were marshalling thare, it was something else...... :D

14. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Absolutely true. I've been fortunate enough over the years to see and hear both the C and D Type Auto Unions run as well as a W125 and W154 Mercedes as well as a post war W196. The W154 was even driven by former team driver Herman Lang wo was past 80 at the time, he was still pretty quick in the thing!

True... sort of. Duplicates have been made but only with the knowledge and approval of Audi. I have been interested in this era of racing and those cars for a long time. Below is a list of the surviving cars and duplicates as best I know.

Original:

D-Type V16 in the Deutches Technical Museum. Has been there since just after the war. Restored and running.

D-Type V16 found in Czechoslavakia in late 80's. Sold to private owner in Asia but apparently stored in Germany. Condition unknown.

C/D-Type V12 Bergwagen, rescued from Russia by the Latvian Auto Club and displayed at the Riga Auto Museum for many years. Sold to Audi and restored by Crosthwaite and Gardiner

D-Type V12 1939 team car found relatively complete in Russia by Karrasik and restored by Crosthwaite and Gardiner. Sold to Abba Kogan. To be auctioned by Christies in Paris in Feb. 07.

D-Type V12 1938 team car (maybe 30% complete) found in Russia by Karrasik and restored by Crosswaite and Gardiner

Duplicates:

D-Type V16 - duplicate of the car in the Deutches Technical Museum commissioned and owned by Audi.

C/D-Type V12 Bergwagen (copy of the original Riga car) given to the Riga Auto Museum by Audi. I think Audi had an additional copy built for themselves as well.

C-Type V16 Streamliner, copy of the streamlined cars used at the high speed Avus track. Built by Crosthwaite and Gardiner for Audi. Phenominal car!

A-Type V16 1935 spec car. Built by Crosthwaite and Gardiner with Audis approval for the Belgian Audi importer
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]D'Ieteren Freres

A couple of question marks.

A car surfaced in the UK several years ago that was purported to be one of the first A-U GP cars known as a P-Wagen. It had a V16 and the rear half of the body was fabric covered. As far as I know, no one has been able to establish its true history.

There is a car in the Donnington Collection in the UK that for many years was dislayed as a 1940 A-U E-Type 1.5 liter car. It was finally determined that it was not an Auto-Union but a car built in East Germany after the war that borrowed on A-U designs.

These are truely amazing cars in their own right. The story of the Nazi involvement in racing in that era is also fascinating but maybe that's for another time.
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]

[/FONT]

15. McGrath

McGrath

16. Does anyone have anymore pics of these cars? This is the first I have seen of thee cars, so more info is always good!
    Thanks

17. I have a photo I think you all will like, I'll have to take a pic of it with my camera tonight and post a link to it here. My dad, who grew up in Ireland saw the Auto Unions & Mercedes race the Phoenix park in Dublin as a child. He sat on their garden wall and watched the cars go right by their front gate! It made a lasting impression on him.....

18. Christie's...Retromobile...Paris...Feb 17, 1007.

19. BigDaddySteamRoller

BigDaddySteamRoller
    from Phila, PA

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All of us looking at the pics and digging up vids are quite fortunate to see these things. I see and feel a distinct resurgence of sorts of the heavy classics again. Anyone who's remotely into cars and the whole kustom/hotrod thing needs to veiw this stuff in person at least once. The craftsmanship and detail is simply awe-inspiring. Not just the Auto Unions mind you, but most all of em from the mid 20s through the early 40s. Thanks for posting this.

21. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Thanks for the info, welcome to the HAMB, good to have people like you on here.

22. OK hope this works, this is a print off an original negative I picked up from a fellow in the UK who has a huge collection of classic race photos. This is the Auto Union team lined up in the pits at the Rehims (spelling?) circuit in 1939, I wish I could scan it as its so cool to see the tow rope tied to the front of one of the cars, the mechanics standing around etc... just a cool pic I thought you'd like to see....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68252364@N00/370428219/

23. Boa

Boa
    from NYC

OK, I went back today and took a few more shots for you guys. The History Channel was in there shooting the car for an upcoming documentary on Auto Union. I couldn't really get as close as I wanted, and the engine panel was back on the car, so I couldn't get any detail shots of the motor.

Here is a link to my pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/splitranch/sets/72157594501888165/

Some detail shots from today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Boa

Boa
    from NYC

A few more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Boa

Boa
    from NYC

26. Boa

Boa
    from NYC

History Channel filming

[​IMG]

27. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Great detail photos Boa!

28. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Wow..........thanks for taking more pix........

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Boa, Thanks for the second round of photos, glad you found us on the HAMB, Welcome!:)

30. myke

myke
    from SoCal