Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drag Pics... Belgrade, MT 58/59

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kroozn1, Jan 22, 2007.

1. kroozn1

kroozn1

John Moore, an old buddy from Pocetello, ID., has been sharing some old photos with me and I am sharing some of them with you.

Here is part of the text from John's email.

"These photos were shot in Belgrade, Mt. in 1959 0r "58. It was the same year / month of the Yellowstone earthquake.
    Notice the yellow '32. It belonged to one of the original guys from the Hawaiian Funny car team of the '60s. He was going to college in Bozeman at the time (according to Tex Smith)."

More to come later.
    Carl

Attached Files:

2. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Thanks for sharing......I dig this stuff...

The 5W is RAD.....I've always thought fenderless 5 windows looked best channeled....
    And the bed length on the white pickup is interesting....

Looking forward to seeing MORE!

3. rustyparts

rustyparts
    from Clinton,Mt

Nice pics, "where are they now" hot rods.

4. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

Great photos.
    THOSE WERE THE DAYS!

5. Great pictures - and not a phone line or strip mall in sight. Big sky indeed. Thanks for the time trip.

6. guiseart

guiseart

The yellow coupe with the pickup in the background is priceless... hell, they all are. Great ol' shots, thanks.

7. I always enjoy seeing color pics from those years as they aren't as common as B&W's. Those are great pic's, thanks!

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Thanks, John ! Could he possibly have any shots of Lee Wooley's '40 Buick ?
    The Pocatello strip was one of the pioneer NW tracks.
    Have a copy of "Tall Timber Rodder" from 1960 that shows the '32 while Dick Eatinger (?) owned it.

9. Dirty2

Dirty2

Nice picts. Thanks for sharing..

10. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

White truck is tits. I like it!

11. sololobo

sololobo

As others said, what a backdrop, big sky, big mountains, hot rods, what else could one want? Really cool pics and some way bad diggers. I love driving thru this fine state it is really food for the soul, THANX!! for sharing with the rest of us,-Sololobo

12. Great pics, thanks for posting them.

13. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

Do you have a side-/rearshot of the rail with the yellow tank. Behind the dude with the striped shirt.

Looks to have chassie made of mainly old Ford parts.

Paul

14. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

WOWSA! I dont even remember a dragstrip in Belgrade. and I'm an old bastard. I do remember the dirt circle track there . It was tiny and steep banked. Like racing in a teacup !
    For a little town of maybe a thousand or so it apparently has a rich motorsport heritage. Thanks for those pics!

[​IMG]

15. Harold_V

Harold_V

Hey, guys!
    I'm new to the forum, having found my way here after commenting (on a different forum), about a gentleman named Lee Wooley who resided in Pocatello, Idaho. My memories of him are from witnessing his straight eight Buick powered rail run at the old Salt Lake City airport #2, way back in the late 50's. A web search of his name lead me to this forum.

Can anyone provide any details on him? Maybe a picture of the rail? Just curious---considering I was a dyed-in-the-wool Buick fan as a young lad.

By the way, while his rail was far from a winning runner, it was the most consistent machine I'd witnessed. He'd turn 108 in the quarter, time after time.

Yeah, I know---that's not very impressive today---but---remember---this was back in the late 50's! ;)

Thanks, all!

Harold

16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Harold, I have a magazine called 'Best Hot Rods' from 1955, it has a great picture of a dragster from Pocatello with a Buick straight with 6 two's in it. It looks to be a 34 Ford frame with a shoulder high roll bar. It is a 3/4 rear shot taken by Eric "the great" Rickman from Hot Rod. I will get you a copy of it if you want. You can pm me. Marty

17. jangleguy

jangleguy

Way cool! Thanks for sharing with us.