Register now to get rid of these ads!

F-1 brake conversion dilema?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldpotsie, Jan 7, 2007.

1. oldpotsie

oldpotsie

I have read the tech, I have read the tech in old skool ,I have 39
    spindles and tried 54 f brakes and now today I tried 51 F-1hubs.
    My problem is the hub is not permitting the drum to cover the entire
    brake shoe, by about 1/4 inch. I'm getting the same results with both hub set-ups. any help would be great, I'm feeling like i'm missing
    something simple.

2. you must have a mismatch of hubs and drums...F-1 and F-100 have different offset

F100 on the left , F1 on the right ...(pictures stolen from the hamb):

[​IMG]

just the hubs:

[​IMG]

3. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Will the backing plates and shoes and such work for either one? I just noticed today that I have the same problem, I didn't realize the difference between F1 and F100.

4. yes , you can use F-1 hubs/drums with F-100 backing plates , and vice versa

the backing plates are the same

as long as you use the F-1 hubs with F-1 drums , and F-100 drums with f-100 hubs

5. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Awesome, thanks. I bought a complete F1 brake setup, mainly because it had new bearings and shoes and hardware for less than it would cost to buy new, for the F100 setup I had. I had everything set up for the F100 drums, so I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to use the stuff I bought.

I guess I'll know to pay better attention next time, right?

6. oldpotsie

oldpotsie

any info of were to get F-1 drums,my parts store only list f-100 parts,and thank you so much, that was an easy fix!

7. Lakota

Lakota

The F1 Bonus Builts are unique. Only an F1 drum will fit an F1 hub. You can get around this by using a drum/hub combination from another year. Of course you'll have to figure out what bearings to use for the proper fit. I went through 6 months of hell trying to get hubs and drums for my 52 F1. One of the previous owners had put on a different front axle and it had drums for a one inch wide brake shoes, (like that's gonna stop it). I was almost glad when I discovered all those stress cracks in the frame. I ended up swapping the frame for an S-10 frame. But, that's another story for another time.