Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frantz toilet paper oil filter... anybody use them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, Dec 30, 2006.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

yup.. you read it right, toilet paper as a filtering medium for your oil. this is in addition to your regular oil filter. they use a regular toilet paper roll and they claim you never have to change your oil again. just pop in a new roll every now and then, and change your regular filter.

so what's the poop on these toilet paper filters?

2. 1950 TCB coupe

1950 TCB coupe

you gotta be shittin' me!!!... (sorry, couldn't resist)

Heavy Old Steel likes this.
  3. S.T.P.

S.T.P.

He aint shittin. When I worked at the parts house in 92 there was an old fart that would come in and get an oil filter and a quart of oil.He would change it once a month in a 68 caddy that had one of these things on it. He claimed that he had never changed the oil since the day he bought it new and had the TP filter installed at the dealership. Except what he put in it when he changed the filter. I always thought he was full of shit but the car was still running in 94 when I quit.

4. sliderule67

sliderule67
    from Houston

They will filter. They will also plug up every oil passage in your motor when the paper breaks down. Popular in the late '50's, but lots of problems.

bigboy308 likes this.

5. Old Navy

Old Navy

When I worked at a Dodge dealer back in 62, we had a guy that would come in with an old Plymouth wagon, pay a buck and a half for a lube job and while you were working on his car he would change the toilet paper filter on his car, make a mess and never tip you. It was a Franz filter and the car had a Perkins desil engine. I asked a Shell engineer about that and he said" Would you drink from a dirty toilett "? and I said no, then he asked " If I ran the contents through that filter till it showed perfectly clear, would you drink it then "? again I said no !. " he asked why ? and I said all you have done is taken all the particulates out but the liquid (urine) is still there. He said "Exactly, the filter takes out the particulates but the acids and contaminates that build up in the oil are still there, that is why you change the oil. Look at lead deposits under the sludge in a oil pan and the pits in bearing surfaces. They were not ground in by dirt they were erroded by acids. Don't need to say more.
    Take Care and oil is cheap insurance, Old Navy

6. S.T.P.

S.T.P.

I hope noone thought I was promoting these I was just stating a fact. I would never not chang oil or use ass wipe as a filter.

7. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

My Dad and I used one of these things in the eighties on a '57 Century with a 292 Interceptor. A couple of points I can make in addition to what has been posted. The oil stays remarkably clean and you must use the industrial type toilet paper like you find in public restrooms. As everyone has undoubtably found out, that kind of tp is very thin and the rolls are quite dense. If you use regular household tp then the oil makes channels through the roll and no filtering happens. Of course you still change the oil regularly.

Joe

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

these suckers are still popular. either they still make them or there is lots of old stock being sold.

I've talked to people who think because the oil is squeaky clean that they do not need to change it, but as stated here it may be clean but it still breaks down over time.

gotta be someone here who actually uses this system. c'mon.. speak up....

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

what do they look like?
    I think I may have a few.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you had one you'd know it... it is embossed with "Frantz oil cleaner" on the bottom of the can. they are a plated steel can which suprisingly is just the size of a roll of toilet paper..... with an aluminum top and two threaded holes for in and out, then there is a chrome mounting bracket. they have a clamp that holds the bucket to the lid.

made by sky corp in Stockton California

11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

ok, just dug the ones I was thinking of out,
    these are Motor Gaurd regular canister filter type..

I think...

Attached Files:

12. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

Heres a picture of mine...Its down in the left corner of the pic..I had it stripped up...came out pretty good. I never had mine hooked up...it always leaked. I ran a line up into it and back out so it looked all legit! But they do add some style
    [​IMG]

13. The fellow I bought my plasma cutter from said that he added this filter and it used a roll of toilet paper. The plasma cutter isn't hooked up yet, so I don't know how well it works.
    [​IMG]

14. rixrex

rixrex

Do they still make those? My Dad ran them on all our company trucks in the 60s 70s all Chevy trucks with SB, White Cloud worked the best..I still have one truck,now retired, 77 three-quarter ton, that was starting in on its second Million miles, third engine, I still have some of those filters layin around somewhere....

15. What do ya' do then, call ROTO-ROOTER?????;)

16. swimeasy

swimeasy

I got to admit ,I think the can looks pretty good on the firewall. May make a good place for a stash! Anybody got one to sell?

17. Toystoretom

Toystoretom

Those are cool... but :D.... not changing your oil ever is a bad idea. The oil may be clean but it breaks down. Heat and pressure actually takes Dino oil and starts to re-refine it into something not so good. The additives probably start to break down, and moisture and acids will go through any filter. Syn oil would do better, but still... oil is cheap.. just change it every once in awhile.

18. Lazy White Boy

Lazy White Boy

My dad and most of his buddies used these on their rv tow rigs (pick-up trucks, diesel and gas) in the seventies and eighties. They all swore by them. Even as a kid I thought using a roll of shit paper was kinda goofy. They all still changed oil regularly.

19. Ole Pork

Ole Pork

Boy, I haven't thought about those in years. Back in the '50's and '60's, they were advertised pretty heavy. I really don't know how many people actually bought them, I never knew anyone. I would think w/the right kind of t.p., and regular oil changes, they could work well as a second filter.......Ole Pork

20. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

My auto shop teacher used those back in the '70s, might still be using them now. He had them on air-cooled VWs, of course that type of filter just bypasses a little oil and filters it.

The roll of paper had to be changed at 500 mile intervals to keep it from breaking down, it's not like you waited 3,000 or 5,000 miles to do it. He told me that he never changed the oil, that by adding new oil you just introduced new acids and such. A true oil-nerd, the boys at Bob Is The Oil Guy would be proud.:rolleyes:

He may have been adding Bardhal or something to replenish the additives. About 10 years after high school I bought a '66 Type II (bus) VW pickup from one of his students, it had a Frantz filter installed on it.

The first thing I did to it when I got it home was to remove that filter, I still have it stashed up in the attic somewhere.:D

21. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

A number of years ago; an independant lab tested oil that had been RE-CYCLED a number of times through "toilet paper filters."

The results showed that what Old Navy is talking about was taking place.
    The oil LOOKED CLEAN; (low particulates) but chemically it was becoming an ACID BATH!

An oil change is cheap; compaired to a "wasted" engine!!
    (especially a flathead!!)

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Heres a picture of mine...Its down in the left corner of the pic..I had it striped up...came out pretty good. I never had mine hooked up...it always leaked. I ran a line up into it and back out so it looked all legit! But they do add some style.

you have a later one. the early ones didn't have the 2 knobs to tighten it down. there is an O ring between the can and the lid. yours is prolly missing or dried out if it leaks.

here's the one I just got. it is missing the bracket, but it is unused in the box with instructions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there are several variations of how the base and the can connect to each other.

I just went through the instructions and no where does it say you'll never have to change the oil again. I think that is an assumption people came up with due to the appearance of the oil.

believe me, if the company felt you never had to change the oil again that would be the first thing on every page...

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

NEVER change your oil again for the life of your car!

something like that...

25. buick320a

buick320a
    from indiana

I will say they LOOK cool, but that's where it stops ! Maybe mount one and "fake-it" but stop there.

Maybe when these were first brought to market they were better than filters of that era, but even though we love to old theme, if you think they will replace todays' filters , you are as full-of-shit as the to
    toilet paper your about to use

26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

... they do not replace the regular filter. you use both. this is an auxillary "oil cleaner".

27. injectedA

injectedA

Rework the oil filter using parts from later style oil filters like System 1 or Peterson or...this Stilko I did using System 1's internals with an Offy adapter for BBC.

Attached Files:

28. Zombilly

Zombilly

speaking of using toilet paper for an oil filter, is there any truth to using a roll of it in a stock canister type of oil filter instead of the metal slip in filter?

29. fordy7coupe

fordy7coupe
    from Wylie, TX

I can rememeber back in the early 60's as a kid, around construction sites, seeing black, oiley toilet paper rolls laying around on the ground where they had changed the oil in the construction equipment. No EPA back then, just dump the old oil on the ground.

30. Squablow

Squablow

My '52 Chevy wagon has a toilet paper filter on it, but when we got the car running the filter lines leaked so we disconnected it. Interesting setup, I think mine is all steel, must be a different brand.