Register now to get rid of these ads!

Daimler Hemi V8 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steevil, Dec 27, 2006.

1. steevil

steevil

Came across a 65 Daimler V8 250.

It has a 2.5 l hemi V8 in it. Tiny little engine but it would be awesome in a model A.

Anybody know anything about these engines? hp specs?

thanks

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Better snag that puppy up if the price is right. The Daimler sp 250 is a very desirable car with the vintage racers. At one time race parts (rods , pistons etc.) were available for this motor and probably still are if you look in the right places. I remember a midget using that engine back in the 70s on the east coast circuit. I'm sure a Google search will turn up plenty.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

I had a beautiful pair of headders for one that ran in a Midget in the mid 1970's. Some of the guys in the UK have run them in Hot Rods. Nice motor, I'd pick it up if the price is right.:)

4. metalshapes

metalshapes

Here is a pic of one...

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

They're somewhat common in UK rods - very expensive to rebuild. Maybe one of the UK HAMBers will chime in tomorrow...

I think one would look cool in a Model-Y! The SP250 also was available with a 4-spd trans - relatively rare.

6. marq

marq

Well they are expensive to built but a great little motor when they are done,reliable too.Most speed parts will have to be fabbed but lumpy cams and pistons ain't no biggie.Also you can get a decent amount of power out of one....................Marq

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

My quick search said 140 hp at 5800 rpm stock.

FWIW-About a year or so ago, there was a very nice ($$$) restored sp250 vintage racer on e-bay. In the ad the seller said he had a bunch of spare parts that went with it . Among them I remember a set of carrillo rods, venolia pistons and (I think) isky cam. So at one time those parts were available. BTW- I recall it sold well into the 5 figures.

8. Bugman

Bugman

Anyone have any better/closer pics like the one above?

9. Googling either Daimler sp250 or Daimler Dart....

[​IMG]

10. KoppaK

KoppaK

Here's one in a 32, looks kind of small

[​IMG]

11. maybe look better in a model t then?

12. It looks like a V8-60 sized motor, guess that is why they were used in Midgets and small vintage race cars.

CBB

13. man that thing is tiny, but very cool. would be sweeet in a "t" {touring would be tuff!}

14. metalshapes

metalshapes

Or in a Austin seven Ruby...

15. they also come as a 4.4ltr from the bigger daimler limos, same physical size but more power...there are also blowers availabe!!

16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I had a blown 4.5 in a rod in the 70's, Never produced much power even with the blower, They are very very heavy and need big money spending on them to get the best from them.

Steve at Limeworks in Whittier,CA has a 2.5 in his own 32 Roadster maybe he can help over in the U.S.

Steve.

17. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Anyone of the UK guys got pics of that black pickup with the Daimler & finned rocker covers that came out last year(?) Looks just right in that little truck...

EDIT: Found a shot of just the engine, but can't find one of the whole truck...

Attached Files:

18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

A friend of mine had a Dart, it wasn't slow by any means but it had almost zero oil pressure at idle. He put in new main bearing caps and it helped, he did the old remove the oil pan thing, not the best way of doing it. They only have three main bearings, the bottom ends aren't particularly strong.
    The engine is a thing of real beauty though, with polished ally valve covers and those beatuiful twin SU carbs.
    It is my dream to build a T with one of them, anything bigger would look silly with such a tiny engine.

Buy the sucker, if you don't let me have a chance.

19. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

Used to have one in a MKII saloon. It didn't have the punch of a 3.8 of course or flexibility of a 3.4 but it was still fun to drive and performed well.
    The motor is all aluminum so it's pretty damned light.
    Didn't realise it was a hemi, 'cos I never got to tear it down.
    Worth a lot of money today.

20. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It wasn't all aluminum, only the heads, the block was steel. It was designed by Edward Turner, he of the vertical twin Triumph motorcycle fame.

21. KoppaK

KoppaK

[​IMG]

22. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Thanks, KoppaK! I think the baby hemi looks just fine in here - not too small!

23. fms427

fms427

I currently have a Daimler SP250 Vintage race car, and can testify that the 2.5 is a wonderful engine ! Sounds great and puts out good power when done right. They are fairly rare , but most stock parts are available if you know where to go. But speed parts are non-existant - plan on getting them done on a one-off basis if you want to go that route. The bottom end is very robust, but the oiling system is poor - most people I know of that race them go to an external oil pump. Also. the funky looking twin SU carbs and manifold is terrible for flow, and really can't be improved much (we racers can't change much within the rules...). I have always thought it would ba a great motor for a light rod , so my advice would be to snatch it up !! PM me if you get it and I'll tell you the places to get parts and the secrets about setting one up - if you don't get it, tell me where I can !!

Attached Files:

24. Here,s one that looks right at home.

[​IMG]

25. steevil

steevil

26. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

Like I said never tore it down, so I'm not surprised block is Iron, can't imagine steel.
    But it was fun.
    Nice, smooth, punchy little motors.
    I wouldn't mind another.

27. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Here's one in a T, size is right ..around 1995

cc

Attached Files:

• t.jpg
      t.jpg
      File size:
      105.9 KB
      Views:
  28. TJH

TJH
    from Australia

A lot of mis information about Re: Daimler Hemi V/8's, I have a couple of Daimler Majestic Major V/8's, these engines were far ahead of their time as were the smaller 2.5 litre V/8s', Steel Cranks, Steel Rods, Short Strokes, Big Engine Valves, in particular the 4.5 V/8 which is 4,560 cc near 4.6 litre can be made to produce good power, the 4.5 V/8 can have it's cylinder liners removed & the cast iron block honed and suitable pistons fitted to be an easy 4.9 litre, by stroking the crank a little, over 5 litre is so easy, the marvelous Hemi Head with it's more then adequate big inlet and exhaust valves, big ports etc allows this engine to if required produce good HP.

both engines have 5 x Main Bearings, the actual weight of the 4.5 V/8 is when the rather heavy ancillaries are removed replaced with modern lighter starter, alternator etc is only a few pounds heavier then a similar updated 2.5 litre variant, the bore centres are same for both engines, despite popular belief there is nothing the same as a Triumph Motorcycle Engine.

I'm building 1 x engine 100% standard and the other as far as I can afford modifications,

Why? because it can be done and the Majestic Major and or similar Daimler Chassis and Suspension can be that much different and work better then many of the normal routes as done to date, see how it pans out ah!

Regards
    TJ
    NSW
    Australia

29. GeeRam

GeeRam

It was amusing standing near Steve's roadster at Paso and watching some of the quizical looks on people's faces when they looked at his engine.......:)

Must admit I thought Steve had the bigger 4.5 Majestic lump in his 32?....Don't know why I thought that though...?

30. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

140 horsepower stock is pretty respectable from a 150 cubic inch motor.