Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally got my y-block home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob lee, Dec 5, 2006.

1. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

http://[​IMG]Just unloaded her,can't wait to start my new ride.Don't know alot about these motors but this one runs.I need to figure out my tranny options,exhaust manifolds(they are cracked)rams horns 4-sure.I've got anice little 27T to put it in front of,building a 2x4 frame.this came out of a truck so from what i've researched it's the right bell housing to hook up a ??? any ideas? Just wanted to share. later Robhttp://[​IMG]

2. 1BADSLED

1BADSLED

What size is that motor, 317?

3. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

yes i believe so 53 or 54

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Hey - I've still gotta check on that Ford Y-block 3 speed (late '50s) for you. I'll make some calls to see if it's still around my grandparents' farm.

Good luck on your project! That's one hell of a cool motor to have in a hot rod.

Malcolm

5. jcruz

jcruz
    from Austin, Tx

6. ford4chevy

ford4chevy
    BANNED
    from Sanger, CA

aint a chevy so no ram horns, over weight pos good luck

7. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

the truck manifolds from ford look like rams horns also,i do know the differenceford or chevy

8. 1BADSLED

1BADSLED

Nothing from a Ford Y-block fits the Lincoln. I Have a 53 lincoln 317 4 barrel intake if you need one, already has an adapter to run a regular holley on it. May have a few other pieces laying around for it.

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The lincoln Y blocks were used up into the 60s in big trucks and buses and there are 4 bbl intakes for modern holleys and rams horm exhaust manifolds too. Jeff

10. T-Bone

T-Bone

perhaps you should shut the fuck up and learn something before you type.

Nice score Rob.

11. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

thanks malcolm any help is apperciated,Rob

12. One nice thing about the Lincoln ram's horns is that, since they don't fit the Ford/Merc Y block, they can be found very cheap. Been called "ram's horns" for years... BTW, 317s were in HD trucks for a couple of years, John's site is a little off in regards to that.

As far as nothing from the Ford/Merc Y fitting...close. :) The distributor & oil pump will interchange. Everything else, though, is just slightly too big.

Always liked those Lincoln covers. Should make a nice lookin' engine in your T.

The term "overweight POS" could be applied to a lot of engines at various times, including Chevys & every other brand. It's stupid, biased, ill-considered shit like that which keeps people hating each other...regardless whether it's engines being discussed, politics, or whatever. Back to the post now...

13. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Just for shits and giggles........ this sweet `32 is Lincoln V- Eight powered.

Attached Files:

14. The Catholic

The Catholic
    from Akron Ohio

Doane spencer ran one for awhile didn't he? that means something right? ...... Pics anyone?

15. Roach25681

Roach25681
    from Calhoun GA

I have the 341 Y-Block in my 55 Lincoln. Runs strong, especially down low. Definately not an overweight pos. Only problems are the factory carbs and distributors suck. Tea-pots and Load-O-Matics. You can buy an adapter to fit a TH350 behind there, its like $900. In the Lincolns, they came with Hydromatics from 52-54, the 55's came with a single-range TurboDrive (Cruise-O-Matic) and I cant remember what came behind the 56's (Twin-Range Turbo Drive?)?

BTW, the 331 intake from the early 60's truck Y-Block has the larger Holley carb bolt pattern. If its a 317, you have to change BOTH the carb and dist. You cant change just one. They will not work right without each other.

16. There were factory Ram's horn manifolds for this engine,

CBB

17. The photo might have helped,

CBB

Attached Files:

18. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

just got the casting #'s EBJ 60150 1955 lincoln 341 ci

19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I'm learning about these engines also. Here are the truck ram horn manifolds. You'll need the truck bellhousing and flywheel to put a stick shift behind it. I was told it requires a spacer ring to center a modern stick shift trans in the larger truck bellhousing hole. Shouldn't be too tough. I want to put a 3 spd O.D. behind mine in a 56 2 dr post.

20. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

the motor came with the truck bell& flywheel,that one looks good,later Robhttp://[​IMG]

21. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If ya get the chance, I'd sure like to know the diameter of the hole and the bolt hole spacing.

22. jcruz

jcruz
    from Austin, Tx

wtf?

anyway...thanks Homespun. i always keep one eye peeled for your posts. much appreciated.

that pic with the ram horns looks killer. dunno snot about lincoln Y's (dunno snot about Ford Y's either, really) but the bellshousing looks exactly like my run 'o the mill truck 292ci C2AE.

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It broke my heart to miss this combination on Ebay. Reportedly pulled from a 55 Bird in 1974. Judging by the valve retainers and the B&M tranny this set up has some hot rod history. That means as much to me as anything else. I'm just not ready to be a prime time player.:D I need a hug:eek: or a winning lottery ticket.

24. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

Hey scoob, did ya pass the lincoln? ohh

25. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

tommy,the hole is 5" and the bolt patteren is 81/2 across by 43/4" tall

26. 50shoe

50shoe

tommy-

there's a guy trying to unload a 312 or 2 over on Kent Island, don't know what he wants but I have his email somewhere.

27. BigMikeC

BigMikeC

AMEN Brother!!!

28. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks

Rob, I've got my heart set on a Lincoln engine. 312s are too easy I have to do things the hard way!

29. 50shoe

50shoe

I'm breaking myself in slowly with a 292 I think. Flathead isn't going to cut it in the ford. I'll save that for when I build meself one a dem go karts.

:)

30. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

OK you 50's Ford guys...will a 56 or 60 3spd OD trans bolt up to this or will I have to do some adapting. My buddy tells me there is a wide and small bolt pattern for these Ford 3 spds.

Why do I have to build a different car everytime! I was just getting fluent in flatheads and I have to get into Studebakers and Lincolns.:D