Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical MOTOR, Flathead PCV

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Petejoe, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I can remember some very good ideas given in past posts regarding installation of PCV valves on the flathead engine.
    I thought I saved it but can't find it in any of my Hamb material or the Techomatic. Has anyone saved this?
    It would be great to post it here so that we can techomatic it. I think it fell through the cracks a while back.

2. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Petejoe, there WAS a great piece on PVC's for flatheads. (may have been more than one)

I lost it when I had a major computer "meltdown."

To help "jog" memories; the valve was mounted INSIDE the valve galley, on the underside of the manifold. (whoever posted it, supplied some excellent pictures)

The whole setup was out of sight.

3. Fourdy

Fourdy

Not saying this is the only way, but if interested you might check my webshots to see how I put the pvc under the manifold. Sorry, don't know how to post the pics here.

http://community.webshots.com/user/fourdy

Fourdy [​IMG]

4. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Fourdy, THAT'S THE ONE!
    How about a TECH artical on how you did it?

5. Fourdy

Fourdy

Thanks guys. I'll do my best at this. My block is a 49-53 with early heads and blocked intake manifold. (oil fill and road draft tube) I used the early oil fill tube at the back of the block.

Cut the tube that comes up from the floor of the valve valley shorter by about a 1/2" or so just to make sure it will fit under the intake. Weld on a cap. Drill the tube and fit a smaller tube about the size of the snout on the pcv. I made mine about 3" long so I wouldn't have to worry about the rubber tube coming off. Since these pics were taken, I replaced the 90 degree square fitting with a one piece 90 elbow with a short nipple connecting to the bottom of the intake to get it below the gasket. (Cut a hole in the gasket for the nipple to go through) The tubing is a high quality oil hose that you can find at your parts stores. The PCV is a Borg Warner PCV255. It has the proper directioned check valve.

I'll try some pics. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with and thanks for looking.

Fourdy [​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Fourdy

Fourdy

another

Attached Files:

7. Fourdy

Fourdy

another one

Attached Files:

8. Fourdy

Fourdy

Last one. Hope these aren't too big or cause anyone any trouble.

Fourdy

Attached Files:

9. MattStrube

MattStrube

So, does the fitting in the intake go into one of the runners and the rubber hose connects the pcv valve to the oil fill tube doohicky? matt

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Thanks Fourdy! Thats a great techomatic job.
    There also was others which had different installations.
    Anyone have it stuff away?

11. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

I posted a couple shots of a killer pcv setup for a flathead. A quick search turned up this old post.

12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Thanks Modernbeat!
    I am going to copy that post onto this reply,
    Trying to keep them together then may Ryan will put into the techomatic.

zonkola
    old hand

Reged: 11/29/02
    Loc: NorCal
    Breathers & virgin valve covers
    #99824 - 06/30/03 10:43 PM Edit Reply Quote
    I'm guessing I'm not the only guy here who'd rather not punch any breather holes in those nifty vintage valve covers. I could do either PCV or not, and I'm starting to have strange thoughts involving drilling holes in the intake manifold and maybe fabbing an oil fill tube/breather in place of the mechanical fuel pump block-off plate.

Short of going all the way back to draft tubes, what have you done that works?

--------------------
    Gloss black. All Ford. Three pedals.
    PakRat32
    HAMBer

Reged: 12/03/02
    Loc: Rochester NY. USA.
    Re: Breathers & virgin valve covers
    #99828 - 06/30/03 10:45 PM Edit
    Zonkola
    What kinda motor do you have?

--------------------
    Your only limitation is your imagination...........

Post Extras:
    zonkola
    old hand
    #99840 - 06/30/03 10:55 PM Edit Reply Quote
    It's a Ford 289, but I figure most any creative breather trick that works on an OHV V8 could probably be made to work on a SBF as well...

--------------------
    Post Extras:
    PakRat32
    HAMBer
    Reged: 12/03/02
    Loc: Rochester NY. USA.
    #99844 - 06/30/03 11:00 PM Edit Reply Quote
    I'm not sure what ford did for road draft tubes..
    But on my 283 i used the stock breather they used under the intake for the tube, drilled a soft plug that fit the road draft tube hole for a grommit and stuck a pcv valve there.
    It's right behind the dizzy so you can't even see it.
    Now i know there's guy's that say trad cars didn't have pcv valves, but i have one with and one without.
    Neither car has a hood and the one without just has the oil fill tube in front, well that acts as the damn draft tube and spits oil all over the firewall and cab of the truck when yer really rollin.
    I have also seen a hole drilled in the rear of the intake, with a shield made as a baffle to block oil from being sucked up, tigged to the underside of the intake.It worked for my friend.
    hope this helps a little.
    Rat

--------------------
    Your only limitation is your imagination...........
    Post Extras:
    jaded42
    Reged: 06/28/03
    Loc: Detroit
    #99863 - 06/30/03 11:27 PM Edit Reply Quote
    My brother runs a 302 Ford in his current hot rod. (1965 Mustang) He put on those Edelbrock valve covers with the fins and they had no breather holes. He put a set of aluminum valve cover spacers under the valve covers painted the same blue as the motor. He drilled holes and instaled some tubes for 5/16 fuel line hose. One hose runs to the bottom of the air cleaner and the other hangs down in back of the head with a small breather on the end out of sight. The spacers let him use the valve covers and the hoses arent that obvious. He has a four barrel Holley on it with a chrome round air cleaner. Looks good and works for him!
    --------------------
    Old Fords,
    Like old dogs,
    Stay loyal and true
    No matter what stupid
    Things you might do!
    Post Extras:
    zonkola
    old hand
    #99883 - 06/30/03 11:49 PM Edit Reply Quote
    PakRat - Your 283 PCV setup sounds familiar. Ford did a similar thing to the early SBFs when they moved away from draft tubes. Bolted up to the same fitting (on the intake manifold in this case) and everything. Drilling a hole in the rear of the intake (aftermarket Edelbrock) for a PCV valve fitting is one of the ideas I'm considering.

Jaded - I dig the valve cover spacer trick. Can't use it 'cause I won't be using spacers, but it's a nifty idea...

Post Extras:
    jaded42
    Reged: 06/28/03
    Loc: Detroit
    #100075 - 07/01/03 10:00 AM Edit Reply Quote
    Note: I called my brother last night and mentioned the valve cover spacer trick. He said to make sure if you do it to run the tube into the spacer and then upwards at a 90 degree angle and angled a little. He said this helps keep too much oil from trying to go through and that baffles would be a good idea too. I know you arent using spacers but I thought I would pass on this tip in case someone wants to try it!

--------------------
    Old Fords,
    Like old dogs,
    Stay loyal and true
    No matter what stupid
    Things you might do!
    Post Extras:
    Threedeuce56
    enthusiast
    Reged: 03/18/03
    Loc: Abbotsford British Columbia,Canada
    #100193 - 07/01/03 01:13 PM Edit Reply Quote
    I have seen some pretty creative ideas for running a pcv including drilling out the fuel pump block off plate,on a sbc,welding a piece of pipe out of the top side of the oil pan,with a pipe and pcv.hole in the front breather/filltube on early sbc,was actually factory on early corvettes with a pcv,hope this helps.
    zonkola
    old hand
    #100303 - 07/01/03 03:27 PM Edit Reply Quote
    Threedeuce - Fabbing a special oil fill/breather tube where the fuel pump block off is (along with a fitting for a PCV valve plumbed into the intake) is one of the setups I'm considering. Clearances might be an issue, but I think it'd actually look kind of cool.

So, I have a PCV 101 question: Most older systems I've seen include a PCV valve and a breather -- either in a valve cover or a hose attached to the air cleaner -- the idea being that the fresh air would come in through the breather and the blowby gasses would be sucked out through the PCV valve into the intake. Pretty sure it's the same principle as cutting two holes in an oil can, one for pouring and one to let air in.

But is the breather strictly necessary for the PCV to work properly?

--------------------

Post Extras:
    Roothawg
    Okie
    Reged: 03/14/01
    Loc: OKC, cultural center of the universe
    #100466 - 07/01/03 06:22 PM Edit Reply Quote
    I asked this question pertaing to the 235 not long ago.

What I did on my 283 is I took the alum intake and drill the front(where the casting was for the original fill tube) and inserted a grommet, which was glued in, pop in a pcv vale with a hose going the base of the Carter afb. Easy money.

--------------------
    Always looking for 35-36 Ford pickup parts .....

Post Extras:
    modernbeat
    Old Skool HAMBer

Reged: 07/02/01
    Loc: Houston, Texas 77007
    #100835 - 07/02/03 01:57 AM Attachment (18 downloads) Edit Reply Quote
    I've seen a couple flatheads done this way. The PVC plumbing is hidden underneath the intake and plumbed into the intake from the bottom. A breather is adapted, or a stock breather is used. The system is completely hidden from view and looks period from the outside.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

--------------------
    Ex nemo non fesces.

Post Extras:
    modernbeat
    Old Skool HAMBer
    zonkola
    old hand

--------------------

Post Extras:
    autocol
    addict

Reged: 07/11/02
    Loc: melbourne, australia
    #100862 - 07/02/03 03:29 AM Edit Reply Quote

zonkola, yes, you do need the breather to allow air intake into the cases, otherwise you'll get very little of the "V" in PCV (positive crankcase ventilation)...

on my mullet-mobile driver, it has the breather on the right rocker cover, which has a little filter in it. unfortunately, given the fairly generous cam-overlap (she's a bit of an angry beast, my driver) there's three fifths of bugger all vaccuum in the intake, which means the brakes are a bit spongy, and the breather spits oily smoke out, making a mess of my engine bay.

I'd really like to solve that problem... I'm thinking just a road draft tube out to the bottom of the car somewhere, else a catch can of some sort...

--------------------
    wunwun was a racehorse
    tutu was one too.
    wunwun won one race one day
    tutu won one too.
    [​IMG]
    Post Extras:
    tommy
    Old Skool HAMBer

Reged: 03/03/01
    Loc: Davidsonville, Md.
    #100916 - 07/02/03 08:07 AM Edit Reply Quote

Here is an inline PCV valve between the carb base and tapped into the bottom of the add on breather. This breather is epoxied shut above the PCV tap so the air is sucked from the valve cover. The breather on the other cover is normal allowing freash air to enter the motor getting cross flow ventilation. One of the important functions of a PCV is to remove moisture (condensation) from the crank case. You need air FLOW to do that.

--------------------
    Them that know....understand
    Them that don't....who cares?

Post Extras:
    zonkola

Another nice setup!

Has anyone fabricated a breather that bolts in place of the mechanical fuel pump block-off plate? Picture a six inch tube in an L-shape with a breather on top, and welded to a block-off plate drilled for air flow on the bottom. Assuming appropriate baffling, is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

Lots of good info in this thread. Maybe worthy of Tech-O-Matic?

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If there's anyone out there who thinks this isn't traditional, I finally located partial info on an original Ford PCV on a flathead--1940 Canadian wartime version.
    I had known for a long time Ford used PCV on industrial and delivery type flathead installations, but this was the first real info on hardware I have turned up.
    This was a normal installation much like OEM setups used on 1962-67 cars:
    Vac hose from below carbs to inline PCV (which seems to be just like a normal modern one, except made to take apart and clean) and then to the front of the intake just ahead of actual runners.
    This would be easy on a stock manifold--most have a hole or at least a boss for a vac port into both runners. On Stromberg era manifolds it is usually at the center over the two rear runners, on Holley/CG manifolds it is behind and just below carb boss below the rear mounting stud. I think this tapping into both sides of the manifold is a good idea. Multicarb manifolds obviously will require some thought, and the underneath solution seems a good one.
    The Canadian wartime manifolds had a nice forward oil filling point because of deep engine compartments in Bren carriers and forward control trucks for the valley connection, but a simple tapped hole through the casting would do fine.
    These rigs also got a very large and serious oil bath filter on the rear oil filler point in place of the standard brillo pad in a can.
    Most of these Canadian WWII engines had full flow oil filters as well, connected to enlarged rear ports just like typical doityourself conversions done now.
    PCV+good filter+OEM thermostats=no sludge.

14. Fourdy

Fourdy

uherkillinmesmalls --

Yes, the oil tube goes from the pcv to the draft tube. The pcv is tapped into the runners.

Fourdy [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Petejoe, ya beat me to it!! I just finished bringing that thread BTTT!! (virgin valve covers)

Between you, Bruce and the rest, this thread is now turning up some really good information.

My solution (although NOT as pretty) was when I was running my SCoT blower which created even more crankcase pressure. The manifold for the blower had the oil filler tube and the road draft tube at the front of the manifold. The filler (with a K&N filler/filter cap) remained in the stock location. The road draft tube opening was fitted with a grommet (think it was for a Chev valve cover) with a PVC valve sticking out.

The hose from the PVC valve ran to the UNDERSIDE of the air cleaner. (remember, Under boost, the manifold didn't have vacumme, it had PRESSURE!)

The four barrel carb on the top of the blower ALWAYS had vacumme.

The setup seemed to work well, although there was the faint hint of ??? just inside the air cleaner inlet.

16. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Would there be any disadvantage to just putting a breather right on the side of the oil pan? I've seen it done - but I've seen a lot of things done that weren't really the greatest idea.

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Lots of racing flatheads were vented thus, I suspect because round cast pistons and wide rings don't like high revs and there was lots of blowby.
    The old "Technical history of the racing Flathead" article showed early ventless ('32-34 block) engines with oil pans actually bulged from crankcase pressure.
    I think a crankcase vent is actually visually necessary on your modified, but it should be bolted to an un-holed pan there and the real ventilation should be upstairs.

18. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    Would there be any disadvantage to just putting a breather right on the side of the oil pan? I've seen it done - but I've seen a lot of things done that weren't really the greatest idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grim, back to this thread. (suggested redirecting the other here)

The first time I had the blower on my engine I mounted an oil pan breather on the side of the oil pan. (this was before I rigged the PCV setup)
    I'm not sure if it was because of the blower (creating more crank case pressure) or where it happened to be mounted, but it was always "dribbling" some oil out of the breather. It was a baffled breather but the "path" out of the breather didn't seem to have much effect. Looked good, but after driving on the highway for a while there would be streaks of of oil running back along the pan.

I took it off when I changed to to the PCV setup I described earlier so "filtered" air would be drawn into the crankcase. The rear filler/filter (on the fuel pump) was removed. (used a later fuel pump tower)

Standing on my "soapbox" for a second; Flatheads are NO different than new engines, there WILL be some blow by, AND condensation does form in the crankcase, so using some form of PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) WILL make your flathead live LONGER!!

The "trick" is to use a system no one can spot easily!!

The edit was to correct my "misuse" of PVC; should be PCV! Thanks to Paul for setting me straight!!

19. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    This would be easy on a stock manifold--most have a hole or at least a boss for a vac port into both runners. On Stromberg era manifolds it is usually at the center over the two rear runners, on Holley/CG manifolds it is behind and just below carb boss below the rear mounting stud. I think this tapping into both sides of the manifold is a good idea. Multicarb manifolds obviously will require some thought, and the underneath solution seems a good one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bruce the subject of WHERE / HOW to connect a PVC to a multicarb setup, brings up a question.

Does the PVC valve need a "signal" from the whole engine, (more than one runner) or can it be just "tapped off" one of the manifold runners?

20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The OEM ones I've seen all seem to go into both sides of the manifold, so that's the way I'd go. There's lots to figure out here, and I'm not going to use the rig until engine is running right without it. First trial will be on stock manifold with truck vac port for power brakes used as the hookup. The dual may well be tapped into bottom of both runners near center.

21. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Bttt. Ryan would you consider putting this in the techomatic?

22. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I've been keeping a close watch on this thread - and it will go to the Tech-o. I just don't want to cut it short.

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

From Ford of Canada,from the "Instructions on Maintenance and Repair of Ford Trucks Supplied to the Defence Departments of the British Commonwealth", 1941.

I'll type in Ford's own explanation on the benefits of the PCV Monday--I just realized I brought in the wrong volume.
    I evolved from seeing the PCV as a nasty and unnecessary government mandate in 1962 to seeing it as a blessing now. When PCV's arrived in general use, I was just beginning to wonder why all flatheads seemed to have a ton of sludge in them and how the heck sheet metal oil baffles that had spent the last several decades in a fog of oil spray could possibly be eaten away by corrosion. Then I finally realized that water and acids from combustion gases, mixed with dirt, carbon, and whatever, and allowed to stay there because someone had removed the thermostats and filtering was poor were the causes. Bingo--you need a thermostat to keep things hot enough to gas off, a PCV to remove the vapors before they condense and combine into acids, and a good filter. Duh. This is one area in which a bit of modernization can pay off in every aspect of performance.

24. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

Grimlock
    The finesse by plumbing the crankcase ventilation into the manifold is as i understand it.

1: You get a better evacuation, even when standing still and idling

2: You wont get oilmist over the bottom of the engine.

3: Recirculation of the unburnt crankcase gases, is actually the biggest environment cleaning improvment after the catalytic converter.

4 All modern cars have it so it cant be all bad ;-)

My problem is that i dont want to have a rubber hose in the liftergallery, and i guess im a bit nervous about using coppertubing also. if its harden and become brittle and break.

25. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yes--I think an above the manifold setup is a bit safer as well as easier to service--but they're ugly little bastards. Mine may end up just being kept carefully tucked down low, hoses along edge of head and valve lurking in shadow of generator bracket.

26. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    My problem is that i dont want to have a rubber hose in the liftergallery, and i guess im a bit nervous about using coppertubing also. if its harden and become brittle and break.

[/ QUOTE ]

The possible problem(s) of running hose or copper tubing inside the lifter galley of a hidden PCV setup on a flathead made me nervous too. So last night I did some digging in a couple of hose (industrial) catalogs. The information I found would seem to indicate "flexable hydralic hose" would work without problems. "Hard Service" hose was rated at 250 deg C. It has a braided core and has an oil resistant exterior. The fact that it has a "burst" pressure of 15,000 kg is just icing on the cake.

27. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

My PCV system reverses the flow of the fresh air. One of the cool old details that I first noticed about the old flathead racers was they added aluminum breathers to the oil pan. The 59A pans have a small road draft type vent. I'm guessing the racers wanted more breathing. Flatheads seem to be the only motor that they were used on the pan.
    [​IMG]
    I'm using one of these for the fresh air intake. They have baffles but I added a dust filter made from strips of Scotch bright.

[​IMG]
    Here's the business end. The PCV valve is from a 1994 Isuzu Trooper V6. It's a horizontal in line valve with hose nipples on each end. It fits into a grommet in the fuel pump block off plate. I cut the inlet hose nipple off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The breather/oil fill needs to be sealed on top of the stand or it will just suck air down the tube(path of least resistance) Now the fresh air enters the pan through the breather passes up through the lifter gallery and gets sucked out at the fuel pump block off bringing all the blow by with it.

This particular intake has the vacuum fitting in the runner to only one cylinder. I'm thinking of drilling a new one in the plenum so it doesn't lean out the one cylinder. This is just the initial mock up but I can live with it.

28. av8

av8

With an alternator and converted Delco HEI scheduled for the new motor in the F-1, a PCV valve fitted to the road-draft port and connected to the back of the carburetor stand won't be that much amiss. And it's all in the interest of performance/service-life improvement. [​IMG]

29. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

I dont particularly care for hiding it under the manifold; with my luck it will guarantee a problem.
    With Tommy's pan breather and fill stand method Im thinking of drilling these spacers to spread out the oil mist. Since one side will take care of 4 cylinders do you think that is enough or should I plumb for all 8?

With the 286 I'm deliberately running a bit on the rich side anyway.

Attached Files:

30. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    Since one side will take care of 4 cylinders do you think that is enough or should I plumb for all 8?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting; I tried asking that question back a while ago. (Spacers)