Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 11-22-2006, 04:09 AM   #1
CadillacKid

Question 41 Willys from the movie "Hot Rod"

Okay, so I did some searching and came up with zilch on this car. Anybody have any info on it? I've seen the movie more times than I can count now, and I've gleaned a wealth of knowledge about the car just from repeated viewings...info like straight axled front end, 426 Hemi powered, blue shag carpet, black front rims and daisy wheels on the back at the start of the movie and centerlines at the end when they stole Sonny Munn's wheels and tires.... But I was wondering Does anybody know anything more specific about the car(s)? I was told that they used 3 different Willys to make the movie...what happened to these cars? What was the difference between them (other than the obvious fact of one having a dropped axle in front)? All steel bodies? What rear end were they running? Wheel and tire brands?

I guess I just figured I'd ask because there has been quite a bit of discussion on here about other movie cars (Graffitti coupe, Two Lane Blacktop '55, etc.) and there hasn't really been much discussion about the infamous Willys. Also, I'm building a Willys coupe right now and I've been wanting to duplicate that killer grey one...Any info is appreciated! Thanks fellas!
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:27 AM   #2
Phil1934

Default Re: 41 Willys from the movie "Hot Rod"

I remember it got painted yellow with HOT ROD on the side in 12" high red letters and made some events.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:33 AM   #3
s.r.i.

One of the bigger street rod mags did an article on this several years back. I'm thinking it was Borgeson, but I could be wrong, but it was a major parts manufactuer that bought it and actually pro streeted it (tubbed and tucked)> I can't remember which mag, all I do remember was a few of us talking how sad it was that a car with history had to meet such a fate.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-22-2006, 05:05 AM   #4
CadillacKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.r.i.
One of the bigger street rod mags did an article on this several years back. I'm thinking it was Borgeson, but I could be wrong, but it was a major parts manufactuer that bought it and actually pro streeted it (tubbed and tucked)> I can't remember which mag, all I do remember was a few of us talking how sad it was that a car with history had to meet such a fate.

Wow...that is a damn shame....kinda like what happened with the '57 from Hollywoood Knights...Project X and all...I loved that car the way it started out...yellow. no hood, blower...Done! Thanks for the info guys...keep 'em comin!
Old 11-22-2006, 05:22 AM   #5
ShakeyPuddin55

What a shame.....

Shakey Puddin Wheelie!
Old 11-22-2006, 06:00 AM   #6
Stick Shift
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadillacKid
Wow...that is a damn shame....kinda like what happened with the '57 from Hollywoood Knights...Project X and all...I loved that car the way it started out...yellow. no hood, blower...Done! Thanks for the info guys...keep 'em comin!
Well the only difference with the 57 is that it was Project X before it was in the movies. I think it was Popular Hot Roddings project car for years. Well it was one of those magazines.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:30 AM   #7
Hot Rod 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeyPuddin55
What a shame.....

It is a really sad day if in fact that is the same car from the movie.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:31 AM   #8
poncho62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick Shift
Well the only difference with the 57 is that it was Project X before it was in the movies. I think it was Popular Hot Roddings project car for years. Well it was one of those magazines.
Thats right...the Project X had about 3 or 4 rebuilds before it was ever in that movie. PHR bought it around 1967.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:40 AM   #9
hotrod mike

I seem to recall Steve Castelli crashed a few years ago. I remember seeing video of it hitting the fence and flipping over. I don't know if he ever repaired it. Mike
Old 11-22-2006, 08:10 AM   #10
Carl E. Hagan Jr.

I've talked with Steve Castelli about the movie car. He said there were 3 coupes used. One he purchased after the movie (yellow drag car), another was used for interior carmera shots & had the entire rear roof section removed for camera views. No info on the third coupe. Watching the HotRod movie, you can identify 3 different coupes. Hope your liking that willys coupe Steve, I sure miss it. My willys sedan is gonna be totally gangsta - thug though. Carl Hagan
Old 11-22-2006, 09:03 AM   #11
40LUV

There used to be a company called Mullins that sold street rod steering components. The guy who owned that business had one of those cars and redid it. There was a feature of the car in Street Rodder, probably over 10 years ago.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:06 PM   #12
CadillacKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl E. Hagan Jr.
I've talked with Steve Castelli about the movie car. He said there were 3 coupes used. One he purchased after the movie (yellow drag car), another was used for interior carmera shots & had the entire rear roof section removed for camera views. No info on the third coupe. Watching the HotRod movie, you can identify 3 different coupes. Hope your liking that willys coupe Steve, I sure miss it. My willys sedan is gonna be totally gangsta - thug though. Carl Hagan
Right on Carl...glad you're digging the sedan...I miss that car too...Any luck with the registration?
Old 11-22-2006, 12:26 PM   #13
ProEnfo

http://www.hotrodwillys.com/photohistory.html

CC
Old 11-22-2006, 12:40 PM   #14
Richard D
Old School HAMBer

I don't know what is worse, that it has been completely changed, or how tastlessly it was done. They may as well have started with a 'glass shell. Oh well, they bought a piece of history with their own money, I guess it's their right to ruin it.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:04 PM   #15
bulletproof1

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-nut
It is a really sad day if in fact that is the same car from the movie.
its not so bad...at least it wasnt crushed...maybe someday someone will put it back the way it should be..at least for now its being used..could be ALLOT worse...
Old 11-22-2006, 01:09 PM   #16
Richard D
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproof1
its not so bad...at least it wasnt crushed...maybe someday someone will put it back the way it should be..at least for now its being used..could be ALLOT worse...
Check the link in post #13, it would be very difficult to put it back. I sent the people a polite E-mail, I wonder if they will respond.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:12 PM   #17
Ghostrdr
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Thats right...the Project X had about 3 or 4 rebuilds before it was ever in that movie. PHR bought it around 1967.
He's right, I scored some early 70's and late 60's Popular Hotrodding zines at Spoon river, and the Project X was in them. I remembered hearing that was a very old project car in the nineties and even remember some late 1980's features of the car.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:34 PM   #18
s.r.i.

Mullins, thats it. Knew it was steering. Give me a break, I'm turnin 40 in a few months
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40LUV
There used to be a company called Mullins that sold street rod steering components. The guy who owned that business had one of those cars and redid it. There was a feature of the car in Street Rodder, probably over 10 years ago.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:40 PM   #19
SOCAL PETE
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadillacKid
One of my favorite scenes from that movie...right after the cobra walks TONY in traffic..Tony pulls to the red light. Up pulls the pigs.."Alright Pull it over a$$hole" Tony launches it and scares the crap out of the cop.
Damn doing that today would get a good pistol whipping or a night stick rammed up your ass.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:46 PM   #20
Richard D
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL PETE
One of my favorite scenes from that movie...right after the cobra walks TONY in traffic..Tony pulls to the red light. Up pulls the pigs.."Alright Pull it over a$$hole" Tony launches it and scares the crap out of the cop.
Damn doing that today would get a good pistol whipping or a night stick rammed up your ass.
That's funny. I haven't heard the cops called "pigs" in a long time. Even though I have a few cop friends, that post still made me laugh for some reason.