Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
scootermcrad
Alliance Member
 
scootermcrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 13,067
Question vintage cam guys - Brown Camshafts?

Does anyone know anything about Racer Brown Camshafts? Not even slightly familiar with these. Can someone tell me about them? Were they any good for Hemis?

Thanks!
Scooter
__________________
Like early Hemis? Click the banner below...

My blog:
scootermcrad.blogspot.com
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
ragtop49
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bartlett IL 50 miles west ( Chi Town )
Posts: 964
Default Re: vintage cam guys - Brown Camshafts?

Yes used by Mopar exclusively very good cam in its day


Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermcrad
Does anyone know anything about Racer Brown Camshafts? Not even slightly familiar with these. Can someone tell me about them? Were they any good for Hemis?

Thanks!
Scooter
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
2manybillz
Member
 
2manybillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 827
Default Re: vintage cam guys - Brown Camshafts?

Racer brown cams were real popular in Mopars in the 60s - I ran one in my race hemi - looks like they're still around.
http://www.4secondsflat.com/Racer_Brown_Cam_Specs.html
offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-17-2006, 11:08 AM   #4
097
FNG
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 16
Default Re: vintage cam guys - Brown Camshafts?

Racer Brown was the pen name of an automotive journalist back in the 50's. He was very sharp with respect to racing.During the late 60'
he started his own cam company.During the late 60's through mid 70's his grinds were quite popular.His old STX 21 grind was a standout...... Unfortunetly he is no longer with us and the company closed up years ago...... So if you find any RB cams they are old school pieces.Newer design lobes will out power the old stuff. But just because it's old doesnt mean it bad..... Not everyone wants or need the last HP that their engine can give..... Old RB stuff was good in it's day.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:18 AM   #5
097
FNG
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 16
Default Re: vintage cam guys - Brown Camshafts?

huh.... Looks like someone bot up the rights to his name and company.....I wasnt aware of that. Very Intresting.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:22 AM   #6
JohnnyFast
Member Emeritus
 
JohnnyFast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Duluth, MN (Hey, Al....where's that global warming ?)
Posts: 3,276
Default Re: vintage cam guys - Brown Camshafts?

My rail had a Racer Brown 43R roller in it in the early 60's. I was in touch with the guy who bought out Racer Brown's designs, tooling, etc. several years ago. Can't remember much except he tried to be very helpful. If I remember correctly he's located out east somewhere.
__________________
JohnnyFast (aka SJFast)

Fenders ? We don't need no stinking fenders !!
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:40 AM   #7
squirrel
Old School HAMBer
 
squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 24,726
Default Re: vintage cam guys - Brown Camshafts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 097
But just because it's old doesnt mean it bad..... Not everyone wants or need the last HP that their engine can give..... Old RB stuff was good in it's day.
yup, isn't it strange how a combo that ran the number back then, will still run that same number today.
__________________
Jim Forbes
.
my shtuff
.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:59 AM   #8
097
FNG
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 16
Talking Re: vintage cam guys - Brown Camshafts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel
yup, isn't it strange how a combo that ran the number back then, will still run that same number today.
Squirrel,

I agree completely...... Just the other day someone was telling me I couldnt run the cam I was intrested in because it was too old school and the LSA was on a 108 and thats too tight and it wont idle.and since it's a solid ya have to adjust the valves every weekend ..yada yada yada .....Funny when I used it back then it ran strong and idled clean and I actually had adjust the valves once a year or so even with it as my everyday driver........ Some myths just never die and seem get even more misunderstood.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:53 PM   #9
squirrel
Old School HAMBer
 
squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 24,726
Default Re: vintage cam guys - Brown Camshafts?

yup, you should see the looks I get when I tell the guys I'm gonna run the L-88 cam in the 427 I'm building for my 61.
__________________
Jim Forbes
.
my shtuff
.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:04 PM   #10
Abomination
Old School HAMBer
 
Abomination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,627
Default Re: vintage cam guys - Brown Camshafts?

Here's an email I sent to them a while back, and the response:

> -----Original Message-----
> Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2006 6:58 PM
> To: racerbrown@4secondsflat.com
> Subject: Racer Brown
>
> Are you the Racer Brown from Hot Rod Magazine?
>
> ~Jason

On 10/23/06 7:02 AM, "Don Gould" wrote:

> Not familiar with the article, don't have time to read everything we are
the Master Distributor for Racer Brown Cam Engineering and the company that designed the RB Rocker Arm system, what are you looking for Cam or Rocker Arm info?
>
> FBO Systems
> 13730 SW Burlwood St.
> Beaverton Oregon
> 97005
> 503-627-0728
> www.4secondsflat.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2006 7:24 AM
To: Don Gould
Subject: Re: Racer Brown

At the moment I'm not looking for anything in particular. I just saw the
name, and remembered all the articles I read in 50s Hot Rod Magazines on
Microfilm while in high school - all by a guy named "Racer Brown". I just
wondered if there was a connection.

~Jason

On 10/23/06 9:31 AM, "Don Gould" wrote:

Yes Racer Brown several years ago but his right hand man Jim Dowell bought the company from the family and moved it to Baltimore where it's smaller but thriving under Jim's direction.

Jim still grinds every cam personally, starts at 6am and grinds until 2PM,
then he starts answering the phone and designing the best cam available in
this market for Mopars Fords and Chevy's, although 60% or more of his
business is still Mopar.

FBO Systems
13730 SW Burlwood St.
Beaverton Oregon
97005
503-627-0728
www.4secondsflat.com
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:06 PM   #11
Abomination
Old School HAMBer
 
Abomination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,627
Default Re: vintage cam guys - Brown Camshafts?

I thought it may be of interest. Hopefully it'll answer a few questions about their history.

~Jason
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:31 PM   #12
scootermcrad
Alliance Member
 
scootermcrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 13,067
Default Re: vintage cam guys - Brown Camshafts?

COOL! Good info! I didn't expect so many replies! sounds like it has a cool history.

I was looking at one with about 480 lift and 240 duration leftover from the good old days. It's an SP-3. That's a lot of cam for my motor though. It's a solid lifter cam also and I'm not sure I want to go that direction.

Thanks for the info guys!
__________________
Like early Hemis? Click the banner below...

My blog:
scootermcrad.blogspot.com
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:36 PM   #13
Abomination
Old School HAMBer
 
Abomination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,627
Default Re: vintage cam guys - Brown Camshafts?

No problem. If you can find Hot Rod on microfilm from the 50s, Racer Brown is a great read!

~Jason
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:57 PM   #14
Dolmetsch
Old School HAMBer
 
Dolmetsch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pr Ed County Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,130
Default Re: vintage cam guys - Brown Camshafts?

I am an experienced user of Racer Brown cams. It is an old name and because of that some people call it old technology but some of his grinds like the ST-H-42 have no peers even today. Most of my experience is with BB mopar with these cams and they will whip anything in the same lift range , not just a bit, but severely. Racer Brown seemed to understand something about lifter acceleration rates vrs lifter bore diameter that companies just now are beginning to figure out. I tried some 23 other shafts and the racer brown was tops. A Lunati cheaterstocker custom made could match it in the 1/4 mile right to the tenth of a second. however the lunati would beat the living daylights out of the valve springs and since the Racer B was exactly as fast and never required spring maintaince it was a no brainer for me. Racer Browns are around. they are the guys with the decals in the drawer not on the car cause they dont want anyone to get wise to them. For example my 74 Charger weighing 4150 lbs (including a 200 lb driver) and 430 rear with 30 inch tall 10.5 MT slicks and a Dynamic converter built to match the cam ran 11.74 at 117.93 with the hydraulic ST-H-42. Engine had flat top pistons , iron heads and two 4 bll Carters on a Ch28 Eddy manifold.
With a STX 20 RB cam solid (previous is hdraulic) we eventually ran 11.49 @ 119.11 mph. Same carbs but the manifold four-thirteen aluded to this morning. This combo is now known as the OR build and can be found on the net (Old Reliable). Jim Dowel runs the company now and is very knowledable. If you call call him after supper as he wont answer the phone during the day. They do not stock pile, they grind each cam individually for you as you order it adjusting lobe centres and such to your exact application and all for the same gold as off the shelf run of the mill stuff.
To be sure there are now other cam companies who are working hard in this area today but Racer B stumbled onto or figured this stuff out years ago. If you think this is all hoey that is fine with me. I love waving as i pass you on the track, just before I reach down to shift to 3rd :<)
Don
__________________
going more fast on less gold
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:51 PM   #15
scootermcrad
Alliance Member
 
scootermcrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 13,067
Default Re: vintage cam guys - Brown Camshafts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolmetsch
I am an experienced user of Racer Brown cams. It is an old name and because of that some people call it old technology but some of his grinds like the ST-H-42 have no peers even today. Most of my experience is with BB mopar with these cams and they will whip anything in the same lift range , not just a bit, but severely. Racer Brown seemed to understand something about lifter acceleration rates vrs lifter bore diameter that companies just now are beginning to figure out. I tried some 23 other shafts and the racer brown was tops. A Lunati cheaterstocker custom made could match it in the 1/4 mile right to the tenth of a second. however the lunati would beat the living daylights out of the valve springs and since the Racer B was exactly as fast and never required spring maintaince it was a no brainer for me. Racer Browns are around. they are the guys with the decals in the drawer not on the car cause they dont want anyone to get wise to them. For example my 74 Charger weighing 4150 lbs (including a 200 lb driver) and 430 rear with 30 inch tall 10.5 MT slicks and a Dynamic converter built to match the cam ran 11.74 at 117.93 with the hydraulic ST-H-42. Engine had flat top pistons , iron heads and two 4 bll Carters on a Ch28 Eddy manifold.
With a STX 20 RB cam solid (previous is hdraulic) we eventually ran 11.49 @ 119.11 mph. Same carbs but the manifold four-thirteen aluded to this morning. This combo is now known as the OR build and can be found on the net (Old Reliable). Jim Dowel runs the company now and is very knowledable. If you call call him after supper as he wont answer the phone during the day. They do not stock pile, they grind each cam individually for you as you order it adjusting lobe centres and such to your exact application and all for the same gold as off the shelf run of the mill stuff.
To be sure there are now other cam companies who are working hard in this area today but Racer B stumbled onto or figured this stuff out years ago. If you think this is all hoey that is fine with me. I love waving as i pass you on the track, just before I reach down to shift to 3rd :<)
Don
Thanks for the insight Don! Very cool!
__________________
Like early Hemis? Click the banner below...

My blog:
scootermcrad.blogspot.com
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:04 PM   #16
Dolmetsch
Old School HAMBer
 
Dolmetsch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pr Ed County Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,130
Default Re: vintage cam guys - Brown Camshafts?

[quote=097]Racer Brown was the pen name of an automotive journalist back in the 50's. He was very sharp with respect to racing.During the late 60'
he started his own cam company.During the late 60's through mid 70's his grinds were quite popular.His old STX 21 grind was a standout...... Unfortunetly he is no longer with us and the company closed up years ago...... ??????????

try
Racer Brown Cams Inc 410 866 7660 Baltimore MD and no, new design lobes will not outpower them yet. I tried 23 different ones in my RB set ups
__________________
going more fast on less gold
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:23 PM   #17
Ruiner
Old School HAMBer
 
Ruiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: *G.F.Y* -Minnesota-
Posts: 4,143
Default Re: vintage cam guys - Brown Camshafts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermcrad
COOL! Good info! I didn't expect so many replies! sounds like it has a cool history.

I was looking at one with about 480 lift and 240 duration leftover from the good old days. It's an SP-3. That's a lot of cam for my motor though. It's a solid lifter cam also and I'm not sure I want to go that direction.

Thanks for the info guys!
that's in the neighborhood of the grind I was considering for my 359 hemi...I think I might consider going the Racer Brown route just for the nostalgia of it, and I'm sure if I call with the specs of my motor they'll set me up with the perfect cam...thanks for the links and info guys, looks like I've made my decision between RB and Howard's Cams...Racer Brown it is...it's Mopar or no car...
__________________
Detonators CC
*G.F.Y*

USA Made Speed Parts
Sold Here
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:34 PM   #18
scootermcrad
Alliance Member
 
scootermcrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 13,067
Default Re: vintage cam guys - Brown Camshafts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyxcliche
that's in the neighborhood of the grind I was considering for my 359 hemi...I think I might consider going the Racer Brown route just for the nostalgia of it, and I'm sure if I call with the specs of my motor they'll set me up with the perfect cam...thanks for the links and info guys, looks like I've made my decision between RB and Howard's Cams...Racer Brown it is...it's Mopar or no car...
That seems like a pretty gnarly cam, but maybe it's not that bad. I was looking for a nice street cam. Was thinking I might spend more time at lights trying to keep it running than just enjoying the power... I don't know... what do you guys think about that lift and duration. Bit much for a pure street application?
__________________
Like early Hemis? Click the banner below...

My blog:
scootermcrad.blogspot.com
offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 AM.