Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Testing a Magneto

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beep, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Wet fingers. Hold end of wire very tightly. Have your wife (or other helper) spin the magneto real fast with a drill. You will soon know it is working or not :)

2. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

i'm sure you will...LMAO

3. Heck....you can do it unassisted. Just take the groundwire retaining knob off and hold the mag with your hand up against the stud. Then rotate the bottom drive shaft. :D

4. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

A similar process can be adapted to test the output of a coil, charged capacitor or a generator. :D

Its always wise to be leary of your auto electrician friend who makes the statement, "If you hold this wire right here I'll show you how it works..." :D :eek: :D

5. I thought that you should stick the wire in your wifes hand and you turn the drill?

6. Swedester,,,,,I'm not that brave....LOL...she would kick my ass big time

7. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. So how do you tell if it's timed correctly?

What part do we clamp the inductive lead from the timing light on?

Or do I not want to know?

-bill

9. junk-junkie

junk-junkie
    from Arvada CO

I'd just bring it to a swap meet and put it out with an unreasonable price, someone will pick it up and find out if it works.

Hopefully he doesn't have a pacemaker.

10. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

My buddy bought a vertex at a swapmeet last year. He was sitting on his tailgate and decided to test the mag against the side of the truck bed. Ouch! He got stung on the back of his leg...

11. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

I got zapped a few times with my Vertex. Things hurt! The first time was when dad told me to hold "that" while he was "adjusting" it......damn old man was laughing till he fell down.
    hahahaha

12. If you stick the wire on your nut, you can get away without wetting it

13. I love the "take it to a swap meet" one. That is good, very good and also very true. And to think,,,you would many testers for free.

14. I've done that :eek: . The truck isn't grounded so it'll come back and bust ya' :eek: . Love them Vertex Mags :D .

15. I wanna se a h "how to" video on this! :eek:)that could be fun....