Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pics of Marvin Whiteman's 27 T roadster?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Magnus B, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Magnus B

Magnus B

Hello

I have been gathering pics and info of different lakesters so I can decide how mine 27 should be built and styled. I have seen Marvin Whiteman's 27 T before, but for some reason I haven't actually noticed it. I can't understand why since it has several features I like. Any way does any of you guys have any more pics of it.

Thanks, Magnus

Attached Files:

2. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

bttt

That sure is a nice car.

Paul

3. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

in the book "hot rods" i think its trend 102? ©1951??
    theres the same picture you posted....but also towards the front of the book more theres a shot of ("i believe") that same car at speed.
    i'm at work now but i was looking at the book this weekend and checking out the same car
    i'll scan it when i get home this afternoon if you dont have it
    Zach

4. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

here you go!
    [​IMG]

5. Magnus B

Magnus B

Wow

Thank you very much Zach.

//Magnus

6. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

Marvin Whiteman is alive and well - i have spoken with him about his roadster.

The car was built by Marvin when just 16 years old with the help of his good friend Tom Beatty who was working for Navarro at the time.

The car was also driven by Beatty at the lakes.

Marvin ran the car on the lakes but used it as his street car at the time.

The car was built with a stroked 59A Mercury Flathead equipped with Navarro heads & triple carb intake.

It was painted dark green in or about 1951 and featured a chromed dropped axle, Auburn dash, 40 Ford steering wheel and 3 speed column shift,etc.

The SCTA Timing tag recorded a time of 143.76 MPH at Bonneville.

The body featured a track nose made from a modified Kurtis Kraft midget nose and grille.

The car appeared in contemporary publications, including:

HOT ROD magazine - OCT 1950 Page 12 ( right hand top corner ) and Page 13 ( top Photo - car number 714 ),

HOT RODS Trend Book No.102 (1951 ) page18 & 91 ( Car No. 714 ) and page 102 ( Car No. 601 ) - in the background.

HOT ROD YOUR CAR - Trend Book No.106 ( 1952 ) page 45.

The car wore the numbers 714 and 601, however it may have been campaigned wearing other numbers at different meets.

I am interested to learn more about the car and it's history - any references , magazine articles , photos - would be appreciated!

Mike

7. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

I am looking to begin the restoration of the Marvin Whiteman 27 T roadster shortly.

I found the car approximately 12 months ago.

Marvin had relocated to Idaho sometime ago and took the roadster with him and passed on the car to the fellow i purchased it from.

The body and frame has not been modified since it was first built by Marvin and all the original chassis mods remain intact.

I would appreciate any information on this historic lakes roadster including any magazine references, articles, photos - anything whatsoever!

Mike

8. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Mike,
    sorry i ran your bid up on e-bay :) ...... i was trying for it too just ran out of $$ at the time
    you got a good deal on it though, i think
    it looked to be in great shape...good luck with the restoration
    Zach

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  9. Rozzi

Rozzi

I remember that roadster on E-Bay and planed to bid, but never pulled the trigger. I have been kicking myself ever since then and even more so now seeing photos of it racing!! It was great to read this thread though. For those who are interested, I saved the photos of the auction. Here are a few.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thanks for rubbing it in more Rozzi :p

11. Rajo 1

Rajo 1

Did you get the timing tag? I looked at the car during the auction on our way to bonneville but was told Marvin would not give up the tag even though it was on the car during the auction.

12. Hey good luck on the resto of this one, it looks like a classic.

13. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

And if the T (complete with SCTA Timing Tag) wasn't enough -- looks like he has an aluminum boat with fins.
    My other object of desire!

14. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Nice find, it would have been cool if you kept us updated on the restoration progress!

15. Gofannon

Gofannon

Any update on this????

16. Gofannon

Gofannon