Register now to get rid of these ads!

CAD Jockeys - Deuce Shell

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40Tudor, Oct 18, 2006.

1. 40Tudor

40Tudor

Attached you'll find a really basic deuce radiator shell model. The dimensions are based on measurements from a Brookeville shell with a few radii filled in based on what I thought looks about right. Heights, widths and depths are from real life.

Yeah, the model is pretty basic and blocky. I'm hoping that someone with skill will flush this thing out so we can add it to the library.

Who's up for challenge?:D

Chris

Coupla notes:
    1. The model does not include the 1" flange around the back for the hood to sit on.

2. The 6" depth at the top and bottom peaks (Sketch4) is the true depth. Gotta add material, I think to make this look right. In other words - it won't be the right depth if you remove material with fillets.

3. The shape of the widow's peak/bullnose part of the opening is approximate, but the height of the opening is right at 27.5".

4. Maybe my whole approach is screwed up. Take it back to the sketches if need be.

Attached Files:

2. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

Thats a little more than a challenge!!!

-Jason

3. 40Tudor

40Tudor

Yeah, it's a little more difficult than the SBC that was done awhile back. There was some reall nice work on that.

I think we just need a good visual representation rather than a perfectly accurate model. I hadn't planned on using it to get a container-load from China or anything - haha.

Who's willing to take a shot at it?

4. I missed that one. Got a link?

5. 40Tudor

40Tudor

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did one in SolidWorks that turned out really good with the weather seal bead and all. It's not perfect, but it's dimensionally very close and will give you a very accurate picture of what you're up against. I used my Vintique shell to do it. It was a HUGE pain in the ass! I don't have it here at work with me, but if you guys can be patient, I'll post it up when I get home and shoot copies of it to whoever wants it. I also did a variation of it that is chopped 3 inches.

7. 40Tudor

40Tudor

Sweet - I should have figured that somebody already had one. I'd like to get the SW file if possible to see how you made it.

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No problem! I can do that. Basically started with the overall envelope and then started cutting things out adding planes where needed and then to make the hood seal bead shape around the profile of the grille shell I used a swept sketch. I drew it with a lakes insert in it (solid with ports). It will give you a good overall appearance though if you needed to plan for a radiator or for your frame.

9. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I have a goofy question - what are you guys using this stuff for?

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm designing a somewhat complicated frame for my modified build and have a 32 grille shell that needs to be worked in the mix. I know I'm going to need a custom radiator and the way I'm going to set up the front end isn't typical, so I figured I would go ahead and draw up the shell so I know where things need to be.

11. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

I am using my own AutoCAD models to play with the stance on my truck.

Depending on how I want the body and wheels placed - I can build the frame to suit.

My frame will (hopefully) be handmade 2x3 tube "Bleed" style.

After I get the truck cab fully dimentioned and put together I can slide the motor/trans, rear end, front axle, and other imprortant things in place and then model the frame to fit perfectly.

Then I can take the frame model and create blueprints from them and either follow the prints or take them to the local steel fab guy....

No engineering "on-the-fly". It's all planned out before I even get the cutting wheels and welder out.

12. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

Here's where I left off.

I have a loooooooong way to go.

I have absolutely zero time to mess with these drawings at home - besides I am doing ACAD all day a work, kinda sucks to come home and do it some more....

13. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

Here's where I left off.

I have a loooooooong way to go.

I have absolutely zero time to mess with these drawings at home - besides I am doing ACAD all day a work, kinda sucks to come home and do it some more....

Attached Files:

14. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

I have a loooooong way to go....

Just Joking....

(stupid double post - what am I - a FNG?)

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same plans as you Broman. I know there's going to be some stuff that comes up during the build (sort of the fun of it), but for the most part I will know ahead of time what I need. My frame layout is going to be sorta unique... sorta... so I don't have anything to follow but my own layout. I've got my Hemi, rear end, wheels and tires, grille shell and part of the body all layed out. It will at LEAST get me started. Will probably make some adjustments when I actually get things layed out. Never looks the same as what's on the screen when you get the physical parts layed out in the garage. Hard to get "style" on the screen since most 3-D CAD software doesn't really view in perspective.

16. plan9

plan9

modeling a shell to exact measurements isnt really necessary, because you can scale it to your preference. exact measurements are necessary if you were to have it made by a machine.

a suggestion - channels and holes can/should be represented via a texture map to save on geometry density. if the finished shell is exported as an OBJ i can make an editable map for it.

17. I do the same thing except in 2D. I plot scale drawing/templates of each part and bend tubes or cut plates, etc. to fit.

Works every time ! :)

Attached Files:

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's an old "rendering" (sorta). This setup won't work anymore for me, but this is what I was messin around with mostly for shits...
    (see attached)
    The new frame will be different as well as quite a few other things.

Still planning on getting that grille shell for you guys...

Scooter

Attached Files:

19. 40Tudor

40Tudor

Not goofy at all. I'm sure everyone has their own reasons. It kinda boils down to "Because I can".

As I'm collecting parts and clearing space in the garage, I'm hoping some early layout work will help make decisions that will ultimately speed up the build. It's easier to try things in cad than in steel.

Nothing really atypical in mine just working out bulldog vs. spencer front end while keeping the wheelbase to something reasonable.

Chris

20. Not familliar with these terms, could you run it down?

21. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

I'm modeling my shell to exact specs for good reason - I am fabbing floors and seats and.......

...and I want them to all fit while I sit in it! Trying to make room for stuff is easy - making me and my dad comfy is whole other batch of question marks.

And anyways if I get the model as perfect as possible I can have a really good idea what I need for my B.O.M.

22. 40Tudor

40Tudor

Bulldog is a relatively new term to me - it's what I think of as the basic t-bucket suicide frontend. See the attached pic of the Hop Up staff car

Spencer - as in Doane Spencer. Also used by the Rolling Bones guys, appearing notably on 3WLARRY's coupe among others. Transverse leaf mounted to the wishbones and set under something like a stock crossmember - frame horns bobbed to clear the axle.

See:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135378

and:
    http://www.so-calspeedshop.com/projectcars/myer/doanespencer.html

I really like the clean look of this style of front end, but it seems to need something other than a Model T radiator shell to look good. I'd love to see examples of this setup with a T shell if anyone has any.

Attached Files:

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's the grille shells as promised. Need to make a couple changes to the top and bottom to make them look more accurate, but like I said, dimesionly they're pretty close.

One is chopped 3 inches one is stock height.

Attached Files:

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More on this tomorrow. Busy night and I'll have more time tomorrow to chat about them.

Scooter

25. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So who's going to do a CAD of the Spencer front end set up?...........
    Man I wish I had one of these programs, but hell if I had that much spare it would all go on my rod project!

26. 40Tudor

40Tudor

Looks pretty nice, Scoot. Don't know how big it is, but you can attach zip files to forum posts. I'd think a lot of the CAD guys would be interested. Did you do that with surfaces or shelled solids?

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty much just shelled it. Made a solid block, widdled away until I had the general shape, shelled it and then added the extrusion for the weather seal. It still needs some work. Something happend when I was doing a cut extrude. It was exactly ready for the public eye. You guys sort of caught me off guard. When I get a chance I'll try to fix up the bad area as well as the shape and get it off to whomever needs it. Give me a bit though guys. Things have been crazy around here lately. Haven't had much of a chance to do any of my own stuff.

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh yeah... I've got a nice set of 16" Ford wide-five rims in SolidWorks too that turned out pretty rad! 750x16 and 600x16 Firestones to go with 'em too! :D I'll try to get those up at some point too.

29. Can SolidWorkd be incorporated into AutoCAD? I'd like some Torq Thrusts or aluminum slots. You puttin' on the foil?

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Only when I need too!! ;)

I would assume with the changes to ACAD lately that most solid model files would be transferrable in the form of a DXF or something. Not sure though.

I have nothing to work off of for either of those wheels. If someone wants to send me one, I'll draw it up for you, no problem. Torque thrusts would be a good challenge for sure!!